GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?: A week or so ago I viewed a post that was forwarding information about the WOBBLE PROBLEM with the GL1800.

The message stated something about changing the fork oil? Doe anyone remember what oil weight was recommended? I am about to undertake the oil change and need to know.
Thanks,
Pegasus
GWRRA #159167

·
Chard Member
13,047 Posts
I used Hondaline 10W. Don't expect that to cure your wobble! :(

I didn't have a wobble until I installed Metzlers or had 12,000 miles on my Stones!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
15 weight oil?

Wouldn't the 15 weight oil stiffen the front end?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I went from 10 to 15w on my 1500. I will do the same this spring on the 1800. The 15w firmed up the front a little but overall the bike felt more stable. Adding progressive springs the next year improved things even more.

·
Registered
469 Posts
If yer talkin about th deceleration wobble from 40 mph or so to ah stop here's my take so far. Over th last 25,000 miles or so i've tightened th steerin head bearings, changed th fork oil keepin th same Honda 10W, still wobbled. I changed th fork oil agin addin Progressive springs with Honda 10W, still wobbled. I completely rebuilt th front forks, new bushins tubes & seals, retightened th steerin head bearins, fresh Honda 10W, still wobbled. I jest yesterday put on ah new rear Metzler next time out will be th test. I believe like Red that th deceleration wobble is rear tire induced, intensified by loose steerin head bearins & or ah cupped front tire. :mrgreen: UPDATE Th new rear Metzler did not change th deceleration wobble i rode an hundred miles or so taday on th new rear. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Front End Wobble

I have the front end wobble on my 2002 with only 6000 miles. It is just like you said slowing from about 45 mph. The tires don't seem to be cupped. I thought it was the steering head that needed to be tighten till I read your post. I wouldn't think that my fork oil needs to be changed after so few miles. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
469 Posts
BOB

I've jest about decided that it's th nature of th beast & purtty much learned ta live with it & keep my hands on th bars under th conditions i know it's gonna happen. In my experience it's worse as th tires wear, havin been through 6 rears & 5 fronts. My suggestion is ta keep th tires aired up ta 41 or 42 frt & rear, an make sure yer steerin head bearins are properly tightened (not overtightened). We sure caint change tars ever 5 or 6 thousand miles. :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
WOBBLE PROBLEM with the GL1800.
IMHO

First we need to determine when the wobble occurs.

If the wobble occurs under deceleration at approx 45 mph there is not much you can do about it except replace your font tire every 2k miles, as this is a normal occurance. I've had it on my GL1100 with 75k and my GL1500 with 129k and my GL1800 with 52k. Solution, keep your hands on the handlebars at speeds under 55mph. When you get a new set of tires it will go away until you get some wear on your tires.

If the wobble occurs under acceleration or at a constant speed and you've just had both of your tires changed, look for a bad tire starting with the rear tire. You took the bike in for new tires and it is worse after you picked it up then you got a bad tire. If you didn't get new tires then you have a tire that has developed a problem, a tread separation or a bulge.

Bad steering head bearings & worn forks may amplify to the problem but they alone won't cause it. New Fork Springs, fork brace and heaver fork oil may improve the handling but they won't eliminate the wobble.

Deceleration wobble is just a normal characteristic of a heavy motorcycle with wear on the tires.
:yw1:

·
Registered
317 Posts
I had a wobble show up at about 50k miles. I checked what I knew to check. The dealer rode the bike felt what I was talking about and did his thing. Wobble was still there, just not as bad. Dealer talked to Rep, he gave the go ahead to start changing front end parts. Rear tire replaced, wobble gone!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
My 1500 also had the wobble as the tires wore. Every time the tires were replaced the wobble went away. My '77 750 Honda behaved the same way also. My Suzuki and Yahmaha's never wobbled.

My 1800:

1st set of tires - Bridgestones = no wobble
2nd set Dunlops = wobble from day one
3rd set Dunlops = no wobble for the life of the tires
4th set Dunlops = very slight wobble again

Nothing else was changed on the bike!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts