GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another subject beat to death but I am new to the Wing. I have heard pro's and con's to fork braces being effective to HELP (not elliminate) front end wobble at slower speeds. I have good Metzlers on the bike but scared myself the other day when I took my hands off the bars at about 30mph, just to see how stable it was. NOT I won't do that again until I get some answers. I have read some articles on this board and others. I have heard yes and no to the fork braces.
Could you all indulge me and just be patient with me. I will learn as much as the good people on the Board and hopefully be able to help others with answers I have learned.
Thanks and God Bless.
Ray (Msgt):bow:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had the same wobble as you did. I changed to the All Balls steering head bearings & also upgraded the front suspension to Traxxion. Now no wobble whatsoever.

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
Fork braces are not typically an effective appliance for reducing the decel wobbles. If fitted properly, they are generally recognized as being effective in improving stabilty and ride quality, especially at slower speeds. More resistive fork bearings are generally touted as the best simple remedy to reduce perception of the decel wobbles. I do not recall having any unusual degree of wobble when I used Metzeler tires, but others often cite Metzelers as a major factor in their wobble experiences.

prs

·
Registered
179 Posts
1800 wobble

I have a 08 wing and it had the wobble from day one. I took it back to the dealer and they checked the front tire. It was defective. They replaced the tire and it has not wobbled since. :lol: Your tire might have a crooked belt, like mine, or broken belt. Like you said it is a well beaten subject on the new bikes with the D250 tires. Most of the time if the tire is new and wobbling the front it is a defective tire. :eek:4:

·
Registered
581 Posts
If you go on the Direct Line store and read the reviews you will see that with 1 or 2 exceptions out of 38 reviews, all the rest feel that the All Balls fixed their decel wobble problem. No other single "fix" has that good of a rating. There must be something to it.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Fork braces are not typically an effective appliance for reducing the decel wobbles. If fitted properly, they are generally recognized as being effective in improving stabilty and ride quality, especially at slower speeds. More resistive fork bearings are generally touted as the best simple remedy to reduce perception of the decel wobbles. I do not recall having any unusual degree of wobble when I used Metzeler tires, but others often cite Metzelers as a major factor in their wobble experiences.
prs
What he said :agree:

I had wobbles on my '02 and '03 using Dunlops and Bridgestones and only got 9,000mi on all of them.

Iswitched to Metzler ME880s, still had wobbles, but got 19,000mi on them.

Had the All Balls roller bearings installed in the steering stem, now I get 19,000mi on the Metz 880s and no wobbles. :thumbup:

Fork brace did nothing for the wobbles.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Wobble can be a lot of item/ or items. My rear tire broke a belt, and wobbled, third front tire now has slight wobble. OEM front bearing on 03. Have all balls on shelf, but still have not installed. Added a Seeley "steering stabilizer" lately. No sign of wobble now. My wobble was held off with one finger on a grip, lightly. Never had a wild hard wobble on mine. My two cents, swape front and rear tires with someone elses, one at a time. See if wobble leaves, this would eliminate either tire and rim for balance. Check steering bearing torque. After that? good guess.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I had the all balls installed today while my old tires are on the 03 bike. Over 10,000 miles on my front tire and have always had the 30-40 mph wobble. With all balls the wobble is gone. (hope this helps with cupping also, time will tell).
I also had progressive springs installed. They smooth out the small bumps in the road. I like the difference between the progressive and the OEM. Did not want to spring $$$$ for the traxxion.

·
Registered
609 Posts
What I found on mine....
I put a set (front and rear) of E3's on my Wing and I noticed the wobble right off. I told the Tech and they said it happens. I try to explain that it wasn't there before the tires, but same answer...it happens. I put up with it and then I had the front tire go flat, so I had it replaced. The result...NO MORE WOBBLE! I have since put another set of tires on and I still have no wobble!
My wobble problem......was the tire on the front.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wobble

Seeley Products makes the best one out there.
seeleyproducts.com
I had one installed at WingDing last year and could tell the differance in the first 20 miles. It is well worth the money.
The owner Walt rides a wing and put alot of time and reseach into this product.
I have put over 10,000 miles on my bike since having it installed and love it.

Fixed the wobble for alot less then the Traxion Kit

1 - 10 of 10 Posts