5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to Motorcycle Consumer News, September, 2011 Edition

2012 Honda GL1800 Gold Wing vs. 2011 BMW K1600GTL

Engines---Gold Wing 1st, K1600GTL 2nd

Clutch & Transmission---Gold Wing 1st, K1600GTL 2nd

Suspension---Gold Wing 1st, K1600GTL 2nd

Brakes---K1600GTL 1st, Gold Wing 2nd

Handling— K1600GTL 1st, Gold Wing 2nd DUH?

Ergonomics---Gold Wing 1st, K1600GTL 2nd

Riding Impression---Gold Wing 1st, K1600GTL 2nd

Instruments & Controls---Tie

Value---Gold Wing 1st, K1600GTL 2nd

Overall---Gold Wing 1st, K1600GTL 2nd

Performance:

Gold Wing---Measured Top Speed---125.5 mph Not 140 mph like some yokels claim

0-1/4 mile………………………….…..12.70 sec Not bad, really

K1600GTL--- Measured Top Speed---134.3 mph Not even near my C-14

0-1/4 mile………………………………..11.75 Not even near my C-14

The entire comparison should soon be on the internet, if not already.
I like it, but not as a replacement for my Gold Wing. The Gold Wing still rules the luxury touring market. I’m surprised the BMW is not quicker and faster than what it is. (I like quick!!!)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Didi they do 1/4 mile with 2 up? I wonder how much weight affects things ?

·
Registered
611 Posts
I still don't understand why people keep wanting to compare the K1600GTL to the GL1800. The K1600GTL is a high-end sport-tourer whereas the GL1800 is a high-end luxury-tourer. Even BMW has stated that the K1600 was not designed to compete against the GL1800. Yet, the comparisons keep coming.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still don't understand why people keep wanting to compare the K1600GTL to the GL1800. The K1600GTL is a high-end sport-tourer whereas the GL1800 is a high-end luxury-tourer. Even BMW has stated that the K1600 was not designed to compete against the GL1800. Yet, the comparisons keep coming.
I wondered the same thing. I see the BMW as a competitor to the C-14 albeit not a good one as the BMW costs twice as much. It's kind of out there by itself, it seems. BMW claims that the MC is directed at the luxury touring market. Who or what might you think that is?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Cycle World did a good comparison with the GTL and the Goldwing. Then they compared the GT with the Concourse 14. I think that if you are looking for a true tourer, there is nothing to compare with the wing. If you are looking at a sport tourer, and money is no object, then I might consider the BMW. Since I am very frugal, money is always a consideration. That being said, I would check out the Kawi, or possibly even the Triumph with a few modifications. It seems to be a little more sport oriented, but still capable for touring.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I certainly wouldn't spend a lot of time comparing the two. The 2012 GL1800 is, IMHO, just a place holder and the K1600 is a new, "wait till the dust settles" foray into the "I am to young for a Goldwing" aging sport touring rider market. Some also think the k1600 will, if it sells well, prod Honda for its next generation Wing.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I certainly wouldn't spend a lot of time comparing the two. The 2012 GL1800 is, IMHO, just a place holder and the K1600 is a new, "wait till the dust settles" foray into the "I am to young for a Goldwing" aging sport touring rider market. Some also think the k1600 will, if it sells well, prod Honda for its next generation Wing.
That would be cool. Like to keep movin' forward, ya know. Is that Honda yours? Man, what I wouldn't give for one of those. Waaaaay ahead of it's time!

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
That would be cool. Like to keep movin' forward, ya know. Is that Honda yours? Man, what I wouldn't give for one of those. Waaaaay ahead of it's time!
The CBX belongs to one of the kids but they let me sit on it. :lol:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Here is a repost of what I said after I rode the BMW.

My GF and I just didn't like the bike for a few reasons.
I loved all the Technology the 1600 has over the wing,but it is by no means a Wing,and a wing is no BMW1600GTL.

Both have their purpose and neither is a true competitor to the other.

I was very upset about the length of time the dealer was taking (5 1/2 months) on my 1800 and sold it.
I bought the GTL1600 in a knee jerk reaction.I wannted to ride!

Here is my thoughts on the GTL1600

The BMW is a transition bike from a rocket to a guy who now has either a Girl Friend of a Wife.He still has a very nice gadget rocket bike to ride with his buds.Yet he can put the bags/trunk back on when he is two up with the GF/wife.So Technically he has two nice bikes in one.

The Goldwing is in a Class all by itself and should of never been compared to anyother bike.

My observations on the GTL1600 after the shake down ride in the twistys.

The Throttle by wire takes some getting used to.A nice feature but very touchy.
The Tranny was a bit more clunky than the wing was.
I was over whelmed with all the gadgets to play with.
The rotary display wheel it Trick and is a very nice feature to have.That gets a two thumbs up from me!!!
The Nav (by Garmin) allows you to remove it and use it in your BMW car.But the screen is way smaller than the 06 up wings screen is.
I played with the electric shield,and Found it was a lot narrower than the Wing shield.
But then the 1600 is narrower than a wing is so the narrower shield fits the size of the bike.(So the electric shield wasn't a big deal to me)
My GF felt way more wind and helmet buffeting than she said she ever had on the wing.
A few times I grabbed some brakes and she slid into me.She in not a big girl by any means,and I just couldn't see a larger couple dealing with just that issue.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then 24 hours later I was back on my wng with a brand new engine.So both bikes power trains were new.
And I hadn't been on my wing in 5 1/2 months so a fair assesment could be given.

The BMW has a place,But is no Goldwing for comfort.
The tranny on the BMW need work.To Clunky!
The new engine on the Wing is very tight-not cunky.
The BMW's TBW (throttle by wire) is to sensitive,causes me personally to jump off the line as oppesed to just roll away.
The Goldwing just rolls away from a stop (My adjusting the throttle cables might be the key??) and is as smooth as glass without any jumping off the line.

The BWM deffinetly would let me lean more in the turns,I only dragged my left peg (which has no bumpers on the bottom of the peg :eek:4:)
I quickly learned that the Wing can't lean as far as the GTL could.

The COG is much higher on the BMW than the Wing.MY GF didn't like the feeling of being way above the bike!
The Wings COG is much lower,and this becomes obvious in slow manuvers.The Wing wins that round.

The BMW does sound like the whirring sound of the Wing when you are listening to the front of the bike.
But the mufflers are annoying to my GF when being ridden.Could be because of the angle of them up vs the straight out the back on Wings??.
I have the Torquemaster mufflers w/baffles in them so mine isn't exactly stock quiet.
But is by far more quiet than the BMW stock mufflers.Maybe they were going for the noise effect??

Put it this way.If I had never owned a Wing and was looking at the GTL & 1800.For what they both are,It's a no brainer.The Wing wins hands down.
If you want a true sport tourer then the BMW wins.

The GTL is two bikes in one,and you have to want that from a bike in order to buy such a bike.
The Wing is in a League of it's own.

·
Registered
927 Posts
According to Motorcycle Consumer News, September, 2011 Edition

Suspension---Gold Wing 1st, K1600GTL 2nd)
So much for any credibility for MCN.

I note that a 12.70 quarter is "not bad", while an 11.75 is not so great. To me, that difference is huge. I'd like roll-on numbers, though.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
So much for any credibility for MCN.

I note that a 12.70 quarter is "not bad", while an 11.75 is not so great. To me, that difference is huge. I'd like roll-on numbers, though.
What they said;

"And while we'd normally award the "engine" category to the faster bike, in this class, pulling power, smoothness and driveability are the primary attributes, and we have to rate the Wing superior. And, despite its lower dragstrip numbers, over the road, the Wings acceleration is so strong we had to wonder if it wasn't actually quicker to 60 than the GTL, which typically needs more shiftng to keep pace."

The suspension discussion is too long to quote but basically they say that the wing is more stable at speed and better for both rider and passenger and the BMR is kinda oinky-boinky and needs some tweaking. But, it is obvious that they didn't give all the Goldwing suspension bashing on this board enough weight in their evaluation, although they did refer to it. But it was a 2012 they were comparing, not a 2001-2010.

I still want to know if the 2012 fork innards can be retrofitted into our 2001-2010 bikes.

I thought the whole article was a good read.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
I wonder if the moderators can just tack this thread onto the end of the other 14 page thread that is currently being debated concerning the MCN shootout.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I still want to know if the 2012 fork innards can be retrofitted into our 2001-2010 bikes.
I'd like to know what the changes are. Honda is being coy, and saying different things in different places.

"The front fork gets an updated internal bushing (Honda wouldn't elaborate any more than this), designed to improve mid-corner handing and overall agility. Otherwise, the frame, suspension and brakes are identical to the previous model."

"Other notable changes on the 2012 GW are “revised suspension settings,” that make for a more compliant ride leading to increased comfort, so say Honda press materials. Though Honda doesn’t elaborate on specific changes to suspension..."

"Performance-wise this "new" Gold Wing remains identical to the 2010 model, save for some minor tweaks to front and rear suspension adjustability, which don't factor in improving the bike's handling characteristics as much as the new purpose-built Bridgestone tires."

"Mainly, the 2012 upgrades involve revised bodywork and electronics, but the Gold Wing’s ride also benefits from new fork bushings that reduce stiction for a more compliant ride, and from the fact that Bridgestone Exedras are now used exclusively..."

I'd really like to know if the springs are the same dual rate design that uses up most all of the soft rate in sag, and then rapidly transitions to a harder rate than the single rate springs many here use. I've just never understood the logic there.

I think we won't really know until someone like Racetech or Traxxion takes one apart and measures spring rates, damping...

·
Registered
931 Posts
I believe the BMW has more horsepower and is lighter than the wing,so it should be faster in the 1/4 mile with similar riders.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Stearman - I always loved the look of the CBX but don't forget the KZ 1300 of the same era. I agree that the CBX was the better looking (showed off the pipes better) but the KZ 1300 was all about performance. The darn radiator on the Kawasaki destroyed the look!

The rest of the story is that the KZ 1300 morphed into the first generation Kawasaki Voyager ZN 1300 which was too far ahead of it's time for people to understand and accept so Kawasaki dulled it down to the four cylinder Voyager 1200 (not a bad bike however, we have been all over the Southeast U.S. plus Texas and New Mexico on one and some Voyager 1200s have over 300K miles). Honda than filed a law suit against Kawasaki stating the ZG 1200 looked too much like the GL 1200. Kawasaki had to change some lighting around and some other things (some owners just rewired the trunk and rear fender lighting back in place).

Than in 2009 along came the Voyager 1700, still trying to figure out the family lines with that new addition?:shrug:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Stearman - I always loved the look of the CBX but don't forget the KZ 1300 of the same era. I agree that the CBX was the better looking (showed off the pipes better) but the KZ 1300 was all about performance. The darn radiator on the Kawasaki destroyed the look!

The rest of the story is that the KZ 1300 morphed into the first generation Kawasaki Voyager ZN 1300 which was too far ahead of it's time for people to understand and accept so Kawasaki dulled it down to the four cylinder Voyager 1200 (not a bad bike however, we have been all over the Southeast U.S. plus Texas and New Mexico on one and some Voyager 1200s have over 300K miles). Honda than filed a law suit against Kawasaki stating the ZG 1200 looked too much like the GL 1200. Kawasaki had to change some lighting around and some other things (some owners just rewired the trunk and rear fender lighting back in place).

Than in 2009 along came the Voyager 1700, still trying to figure out the family lines with that new addition?:shrug:
Remember the Benelli sei? It was, IMHO, a real looker. Never rode one, though, to know if it was any good/fun.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
MCN comparison is so much more realistic for my type of riding than the Cycle World comparison/conclusions. Think I'll keep my 05 Anniversary till at least 200, perhaps 300k and then look for a clean, low mileage, 2012, 2013, or 2014 Wing! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I think if I was in the market for a new bike, the BMW would be just something of a refreshing change.

After all for the most part isn't the 2012 GL1800 pretty much the same as the first GL1800 with minor comedic changes???????????

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I think if I was in the market for a new bike, the BMW would be just something of a refreshing change.

After all for the most part isn't the 2012 GL1800 pretty much the same as the first GL1800 with minor comedic changes???????????
AW, just wait 'till the 2013 Goldwing comes out, I think you'll get it then.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
AW, just wait 'till the 2013 Goldwing comes out, I think you'll get it then.
Do you really think Honda spent a bunch of money on changes to the GW for a one-year run?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts