GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem, I had a burned out headlight for about a month (low beam). I recently started my bike in the morning and none of my headlights were burning, low or high beams. Check all of my fuses, they're good, pulled out both low beams and just one of them seems to be burned out. All of my other lights are working. Is there anybody that has experienced this problem.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
check starter switch

Sounds like your starter switch needs cleaning. Next time you notice the headlights out, pull out on your starter switch and see if they come back on. If so, clean the starter switch. If not, swap your headlight relay with another one and see if that clears the problem.

this is the second post today with similar issues.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Clean your start button. That is the only thing that will cause all four headlights to malfunction.

>CLICK<

·
Vendor
18,114 Posts
Just an FYI ... OEM bulbs burn out within min, days, or weeks of each other.

S

·
0 Posts
I had a problem with both low beams burning out at the same time this spring. Here is the deal. My OEM battery was a bit weak after sitting all winter so upon initial startup in spring the lights would get bright when the engine was revved above idle and then dim down a bit at idle while the battery is being charged. This in itself was fine however I revved up the bike a couple of times and both bulbs blew.
It takes just a second for the voltage regulator to drop the voltage to 13v so it was spiking at 18-20 which over taxed the bulbs.
Once the battery was charged this ended the problem and I just replaced the bulbs and it's been fine since.

Other scenario, Early on my ADV was stuck which is standard and I was running an MC radial. Between the two the vibration and shock was more than the headlights could handle so I wound up with a burnt out bulb or two. Fixing (disabling) the ADV and switching to a normal softer tire and the problem just went away.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
All good replies, but the OP spoke of ALL FOUR lights not working. That's surely a sign of something awry in the starter switch.... and don't call me Shirley.

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
All good replies, but the OP spoke of ALL FOUR lights not working. That's surely a sign of something awry in the starter switch.... and don't call me Shirley.
Good observation Shirley.

I agree. The starter switch is the first thing I would check since it is the easiest.

If this switch is stuck, the audio will be muted also. If the radio has sound, it isn't the switch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts