GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some insight here. I have an '05 1800 with 5000 miles on it. I am experiencing a pronounced, high frequency vibration, similar to that of some older inline 4 cylinder engines--like on a Kawasaki Concours, when the engine is under a load such as during acceleration while going up a hill, starting at around 60 mph. This seems to be around 2700 rpm and up. I can feel it through the grips, footpegs and seat. Bascially, throughout the bike. It's strong enough that it makes my hands start to go numb. No, I don't have the bar end weights on because I installed the Kuryakyn Erg hand grips. Does anyone have any ideas what might cause this and has anyone else experienced this same thing? I'm thinking the logical place to check is the motor mounts in case they aren't correctly torqued. But I'm no mechanic. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
The bar end weights are / were there for a purpose. They help to eliminate vibration transmitted to your hands. If you alter the motorcylce and put on non standard equipment like the new grips and eliminate a functional part of the motorcylce like the bar end weights, you may experience some difference in performance.

Best advice is to take the Kury grips off and reinstall the bar end weights and see if that make a difference. Then you can go from there. If no difference, then look for other causes. If it makes a difference you have decide whether you want to the new grips or the vibration.

·
Vendor
21,574 Posts
I think I would agree with the above advice. Put the weights back on first and see what happens.

However, this bike is pretty smooth, and you should not find it buzzy at any speed. I think there was one report a year or so ago of a bike with a broken motor mount that had quite a bit of vibration. If the bike still buzzes with the handlebar weights on, then I would suggest you take it to a good dealer that knows Wings, and ask them to check it out and inspect all the engine mounts.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
This ain't yore daddy's Goldwing.

The 1000 thru 1500 Wing's engines were rubber mounted to isolate out the naturally occuring vibrations. The 1800 is solid mounted to the frame, so when you lug or power on the engine you will feel vibrations through the grips and your butt.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Not sure I agree with the masses... We've an 03. Regardless the revolutions (and I'm lazy when it comes to shifting... accordingly, the engine is lugged or spun on a regular basis) there are no frequencies in the pegs, seat or bars.. If, at 2700 and above, I would rather suspect a bearing on an accessory drive such as the alternator... what wasn't addressed by the owner is whether the engine vibrates in a gear or every gear at these revolutions or, if not, could it be the drive shaft?

The plain bearing end of the engine (shaft, rods, pistons, etc) wouldn't do it but a driven item would.... even a bearing in the gear box......

Not trying to be the pessimist... simply other alternatives.

I

·
0 Posts
Thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of 1800 owners have removed the handlebar weights to install after market grips, including me, and don't have any vibration problem. Further, I can't see why the handlebar weights would have any effect (good or bad) on the vibration he says he experiences in the seat and foot pegs. The handlebar weights are to dampen handlebar vibration or oscillation.

I think there may be a problem in the drivetrain, ie engine/driveshaft/tranny/rear drive, et al. Something out of alignment? Bad bearing? Bad U joint? Many possibilities.

Personally, I would be seeing my dealer real soon. That kind of vibration in an 1800 (or any Goldwing) is a sign of something seriously wrong.

Hands going to sleep from vibration only happens on Harleys, not on 1800 Goldwings...weights or no weights. :roll: :lol:

My $.02.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This seems to be more of a 5th gear issue. It could be simply something that is related to the solid engine mounts and it buzzes when under load. It doesn't seem to be there when just cruising. The bike is going to the dealer this Wednesday to have the CB changed out under warranty, and I'll have him check out the vibration issue at the same time. As for the bar end weights, I don't think that not having them there is a problem. If you've ever hefted a set of the Kuryakyn Ergo grips, you know that they weigh about the same as a set of the bar end weights +/_ a few grams. My previous 1800 had them and there was no buzziness. I'll just wait and see what the dealer has to say. Thanks for the input fellas. I appreciate all the responses.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought my 2005 wing in the end of march this year and have 19,900 miles on it. When it had about 3,000 miles I thought I felt a vibration in the foot pegs. I took the weights off the bars when I put the ISO grips on and sometimes it is felt in the grips and at times it can make my hands get numb. As time went on around 8,000 it became more noticeabe. I had a dealer call Honda they told him to check the engine mounts. This was never done as I can't get off the bike! When I went to the Honda home coming I was told it was the tires. I just put new Elite three's on but not enought miles to really tell how bad it is, but is is there, maybe not as bad. It feels like a metallic vibration and can tickle my feet. I checked the rubber boot just a few days ago and it looks OK but I admint I could have looked better. Nothing has broken, nothing fell off, I just keep riding. If you find out anything let us know. Not much help I know, just my experience. Please let us know what you find out. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my 2005 wing in the end of march this year and have 19,900 miles on it. When it had about 3,000 miles I thought I felt a vibration in the foot pegs. I took the weights off the bars when I put the ISO grips on and sometimes it is felt in the grips and at times it can make my hands get numb. As time went on around 8,000 it became more noticeabe. I had a dealer call Honda they told him to check the engine mounts. This was never done as I can't get off the bike! When I went to the Honda home coming I was told it was the tires. I just put new Elite three's on but not enought miles to really tell how bad it is, but is is there, maybe not as bad. It feels like a metallic vibration and can tickle my feet. I checked the rubber boot just a few days ago and it looks OK but I admint I could have looked better. Nothing has broken, nothing fell off, I just keep riding. If you find out anything let us know. Not much help I know, just my experience. Please let us know what you find out. Thanks
Did this ever get solved?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts