GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been dealt with before but I'm going to ask again. Sorry!

This post is directed at people who have purchased a Wing in the US and brought it to Canada. Honda Canada and their dealers are obviously screwing us here and have made no price adjustments to reflect the closer exchange rate. I've been looking at Hals prices and Shadyside Ohio is not far from me and it looks attractive.

Question: What have you folks run into when bringing the bike to Canada to register it? ( Taxes, duty, US/Cdn spec, warranty etc.....)

·
Registered
855 Posts
Importing Bike from US to Canada

Hello Chester:

...have never imported a bike from US to Canada, but the attached
web site should help

http://www.tc.gc.ca/pacific/faq/road/importation.htm#12

and also,

Can I import a motorcycle from the United States?
Yes, Transport Canada does allow many motorcycles to
be imported from the United States.
The procedure for doing so is exactly the same as for
importing passenger cars. For further information about
importing a motorcycle, telephone the Registrar of
Imported Vehicles at 1-888-848-8240.

...regards...Ken

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'm in the US and have a canadian bike..... you should know that the warranty WILL NOT be covered in canada on a US bike and vice versa.... If you buy a US bike and import to canada you WILL have to take it to the US for any warranty or recall work....

Melissa

·
Registered
216 Posts
Chester,

I bought a 2003 GL1800A in the States last spring. The following website gives exact details as to what is required.

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

I had no problems with the importing at all and would highly recommend it as a means of saving yourself some $$. You can pm me if you want to discuss in detail. The process is fairly straight forward but you have to make sure you follow all the steps and respect the 72 hour timeline. You will not have warranty coverage in Canada and will have to go back to U.S. for any warranty issues.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have purchased numerous USED wings south of the border and all the importing process was easy as pie, but the warranty is US based and with the US dealer network and will not be honored in Canada. My 2002 had an extended warrenty and I can't use it here ( Ottawa). But if I was travelling in the US I might try if a major system let me down.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
It might be different in Eastern Canada but here's a story from out west:
I was at the Seattle Bike show last spring with a buddy who was serously looking to buy two new bikes - one for his wife and one for himself. He talked to lots of dealers and I took some photos of him on that bike he had pretty well decided on.
Back home he ran the numbers one more time and then went to a local dealer for one last "can you match this price" discussion.
The dealer came close enough that he bought in Canada.
I should mention that warranty was NOT an issue as he's a mechanic who does all his own work. I should also mention that there are several very good dealers for every brand of motorcycle in North West Washington so travelling to a dealer was not and issue either.

·
Registered
302 Posts
bbb

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for your replies and help. The websites really helped.

While I know there are likely some good buys on 06s right now (I really like the platinum) I think I'll wait for the airbag on the 07s and try to negotiate with a local dealer on a price more in line with those in the US.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts