GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a pair of headsets for my 04 GL1800. I will primarily use them in the intercom mode and listening to musicAny recommendations on brands, models etc? How is the sound quality at highway speeds for talking and listening. Thanks !!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have the Hondaline, we normally use them just for intercom and CB radio, we play the AM/FM over the 4 bike speakers if we use the radio, ours sound good with the intercom and CB, but not the best when I have tried the radio through the headset.

I

·
0 Posts
Hi Bear:

I recently installed JM headsets in helmets. but I haven't had them on highway yet. However, in the garage with engine running and revved up they sounded fine in both intercom and radio music mode, (no engine or electrical noise) which is all I will be using them for also.

I expect I will have the intercom turned off most of the time. If she wants to talk to me she can whack me along side the head or poke me in the ribs and I will mute the radio and turn the intercom on. Otherwise they will be in AM/FM radio mode if there is anything good to listen to. Heck, we can drive for 200 miles in the car and hardly say a word to each other, so intercom chatter isn't a high priority. After 35 years of marraige, there isn't a whole lot to chatter about. :eek:ops2:

They installed nicely in our Vega helmets. Last I knew they were on sale at HDL for $79.95...a good bargain.

·
Registered
264 Posts
We have J&M installed in our HJC Symax helmets. A little noisy at highway speeds, but that is more a function of the helmet than the speakers. Speaker placement is important, the closer to your ear, the better the bass response. Very pleased with the J&M system.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Just don't expect stereo quality music from them because it's not there.
A lot of people I know use the 4 speakers for the music and just use the headsets for communication. I leave the intercom on at all times, heck ya never know when you might see something on the highway. Like a painted lady or something.............. :yes2:

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I have Hondaline (made by J&M)
Passenger has a broken pin inside helmet unit.
We always used care, so I think they are cheap.
I'd suggest Edsets to save money. There is no high
technology here, simply speakers & microphone.
Nothing someone had to do heavy duty research &
developement on like the tiles on the space shuttle.
Why we pay more than $49.95 for a set gets me.

Here is the link:

http://www.bluzplayer.biz/EdSets/

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
My wife and I stopped to look at comm. units today. The Honda units were well in excess of 200 bucks! (THATS EACH!) WTF?... who needs that kinda money for two speakers and a mike?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Sign of the times

It's a rip off no doubt ... in my opinion. Same way you get ripped off when you go to the movies and pay so much more for snacks as simple as popcorn and a drink. I digress ....... We have the J & M Headset on our new 2004 Wing and while functional they aren't high tech as someone already mentioned. Nevertheless ours work and we enjoy them a great deal. The I/C, Radio and my MP3 player, connected through the AUX, all sound fine to us. Have to wait and see but so far so good... only problem I can forsee right now is that in order to hear the music at what I preceive to be the correct volume level, in my helmet, I'm worried I'm turning it so high it may be damaging to my hearing. I used to run around on the Valk with the Radio blarring out of the speakers. It's nice now to be a better neighbor to other vehichles while sitting at a stoplight :) In fact I'm finding the Wing does all the little things for me that I used to worry constantly about on the Valk. Funny how that happened.

Donnie

·
Registered
224 Posts
"only problem I can forsee right now is that in order to hear the music at what I preceive to be the correct volume level, in my helmet, I'm worried I'm turning it so high it may be damaging to my hearing".

Donnie, make sure you have the speakers positioned properly. I'm also running J&M (the $119 dollar set). When originally installed, I was running the volume around 12 or 13. I installed a second set in my wife's helmet, tried it on to make sure everything worked, and they were MUCH louder than mine.

I repositioned my speakers making sure they were in line with my ears and put some padding in the helmet speaker cutout to move them closer.
Still very comfortable but now I run the volume around 7 or 8 at highway speeds.

Regards,

·
Registered
191 Posts
ed sets

we just finished a 700 mile trip this past weekend and got a chance to test out the new sonic boom ed sets. the sound is great but there is a buzzing in them when listening to my xm radio. it isn't there when just using the intercom but is definitely there with the music playing. i'm going to contact ed and see if he has something to quiet this unwanted noise.

G

·
0 Posts
Re: ed sets

bleaves1 said:
we just finished a 700 mile trip this past weekend and got a chance to test out the new sonic boom ed sets. the sound is great but there is a buzzing in them when listening to my xm radio. it isn't there when just using the intercom but is definitely there with the music playing. i'm going to contact ed and see if he has something to quiet this unwanted noise.
I am glad to hear that I am not the only one with a 'buzzing' noise in the helmet when listening to music on the bike speakers. Not that I am happy you have the problem by any means. Ever since I have had my '01, it has been spiratic, but with the music on in the bike's speakers I get buzzing in my head set, especially at the various high to low's of the RPM. Does this sound familiar? I do not have XM though but sounds like the same issue, whether it be the FM or CD playing. I have tried everything, Honda noise filter, checking and re-checking grounds, dabbing electric grease, etc. Nothing's really helped. Taking it in for a whole new wiring harness to see if there was a short somewhere to begin with. Hope it doesn't cause more trouble than what it's worth. But, Honda will back it up. They've been good about that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts