GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from learning about farkles, tech issues and roads trips, I enjoy the fraternity of GL1800 riders. We're usually a happy, content bunch and enjoy life.

A friend of mine turned me on to this idea whe I was touring the West. http://www.motorcycle-travel.net/
It's a club of sorts you join which allows you to stay over at other m/c'ers homes, and they yours for a nominal fee.

I also thought fondly of my GWRRA days and the book they had with all the members and contact information and any services they could provide for you if you needed it. From lodging with them, to trailers, services, etc. I used it twice when I got stuck and it helped me immensley.

Which got me to thinking: What about a GL1800.forum membership-service type of thing?

Example: there could be a separate thread for members - state specific (like the sub-forums) - that anyone living there could post what services, if any, the may be available and willing to provide.

This would be mine, for a further example:

Shorewood, IL (near interesection of Interstates 80 & 55). Tenting available, rooms and bath available upon certain dates, garage for GW's, trailer for breakdowns. Call xxx-xxx-xxxx to check for dates and availability.

A GL1800 member could sort through the state specific thread and make some calls and avail themselves of some of these volunteer services whkle touring on long trips. I know I would have liked this on my long touring trips.
I mean, I love long, solo trips but it would be nice to see a GL1800-friendly face. Or/and, when passing through quickly, just a place to put a tent at night and be gone before ths sun comes up.

I imagine some general, cordial boundaries and guildelines being spelled out and emphasized so we're all on the same page.

IDK, does anyone think this idea has merit?

·
Registered
700 Posts
I like the idea of including your following information....Shorewood, IL (near interesection of Interstates 80 & 55). Tenting available, rooms and bath available upon certain dates, garage for GW's, trailer for breakdowns. Call xxx-xxx-xxxx to check for dates and availability.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Very cool. I did not know of this either. Question is how would one find this list without a link?

Under community tab you get the membership list but no contact list and I do not see a way to navigate there. If you search contact list massive hits lost in the maze.

Or it could be I am not seeing my front wheel even while standing on my pegs.

Good idea though.

·
Banned
939 Posts
You need a security clearence for that....It is top secret.:joke:
LOL yeah, I kind of figured that.

I am new around here too and I was thinking to myself perhaps a guy ought to be on the list if he wants to see the list.

Life is good..

Cheers:thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts