GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with the GL1800 Nav system? I can't program it like I can any other Nav units from Garmin. I called Garmin and they couldn't help me. The unit keeps calculating and changing what is already there. Please send a PM if you can help. Thanks.

Bob

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have one and used it all season. What are you doing when you have this problem? The user manual which is 143 pages on the GPS alone should answer most questions. What step are you at when you run into trouble. I tried to PM you but it didn't go

·
Registered
755 Posts
Sounds like you have a destination route active and it is continuously trying to get you there. Try turning the route off and starting over.

From the route menu -> delete route. Yes, Enter

If that doesn't work, you may want to think about doing a reset.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Make sure you have the "home" location set correctly. When I picked mine up at the dealer last year, it was the first Nav they had gotten in and they had played around with the Nav to see what it was like and set the dealers location as the home location...took awhile to figure it out.
Dennis

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honda Nav

I have set home position. Next is to program a simple route which is along the interstate for most of the trip and country roads to the destination city. From city I want to take a different route back home. Using a marine nav system.

If I choose "Fastest" route it draws a line directly to the city. So far okay. Now going back over another route is where the problems start. On my marine Nav system I just enter way points (vias) and the system runs a line between each successive way point. Very simple. If I start selecting vias on the the bike Nav system it goes back and recalculates the original route. You can't turn off "Fastest" and "Shortest" buttons together. One is always on. Bottom line is that I just want to be able to go down the route and select vias of where I want to go and have the system follow this path. The Nav system keeps recalculating and starting over.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The honda nav system is not designed to use waypoints as a route. In other words, don't try and creat a route via a bunch of points along a highway or back roads aka waypoints. That is the way older GPS systems worked as they did not have good mapping system software yet. The newer GPS systems simply use maps to get you to your destination, not waypoints. The Honda Nav is like a basic system you would find in a car. Nobody is gonna take a laptop, hook it up to their car gps and start programming in a custom route. Get this old school way of using a gps out of your head. The faster you can do this, the better off you will like the new mapping style gps systems.

Remember Honda builds for the masses which is make is simple, make it work, minimal maintenance, don't leave me stranded.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
I've been looking at a new 07 with the nav system ( I have a 2720 now).

Are you saying I can enter a waypoint in the new system and route to it?
Or are you saying it won't roue to multiple waypoints? Can you set out one route to a waypoint and then set anew route to another waypoint as a new route? Hows the POIs??? Are all the Honda dealers already entered like the Harley system?

I know it's not as techy as the 2720, but is it still a good unit?

·
Registered
589 Posts
KYBLUE said:
I've been looking at a new 07 with the nav system ( I have a 2720 now).

Are you saying I can enter a waypoint in the new system and route to it?
Or are you saying it won't roue to multiple waypoints? Can you set out one route to a waypoint and then set anew route to another waypoint as a new route? Hows the POIs??? Are all the Honda dealers already entered like the Harley system?

I know it's not as techy as the 2720, but is it still a good unit?
The gps system in the GL1800 is pretty complex. The supplement owners manual is about 143 pages in addition to the main manual for the GL. I would highly advise anyone considering the GPS to ask a dealer for the manual and glance over it first. Or find a fellow owner who will let you go over his. You are going to get 30 different answers to your questions and still not really understand what you want to know for the most part. But you can only program 1 (one) trip into it at a time. You can't save it when you want to enter a 2nd trip. You can add up to I think 5 or 6 stops along a route once you have entered a route. Its not real easy to do a custom trip. It can be done for the most part however with a lot of reading in the manual and sitting on the bike in your driveway before you leave. It does a good job if you just tell it what city or address etc you want and let it route you the way it wants to go. The POI are good, it does list all Honda dealers with a special Honda Wing Icon on the screen on the unit when you are traveling in the area. They are also listed so you can choose one from the menu and route to it. I came from an StreetPilot III color plus many older Garmen units. It has it plus and minus to these units. The best is the size of the screen, water tight, you don't have to take it off for security, down to street level software already there. I would buy it again after owning it for 7,000 miles this summer. Others I am sure would not. Good luck my GL1800 is a wonderful bike and I hope you enjoy yours as much.

·
Registered
484 Posts
It can do everything you mentioned. However it does not handle multiple waypoints as a route very well. It's just simpler to route to one point, get there, and then creat a new route to the next point you want to get to. It makes the assumption that once you get to where you are going, you will stop anyway to do or see something. Reember you can't change the NAV sytem if the bike is moving. You can change displays and you can zoom in and out however when bike is movin.

It's a great unit but a little dumbed down compared to the high end portable units. Honda kept it simple so it's very easy to use. The Honda dealers are in there and the POI seem just fine. I like it as it wont get stolen and the dashboard diplay is WAY nicer than a non NAV system.

Go to a Honda dealer and PLAY WITH IT and have their most knowledgeable sales dolt demo it for you. My dealer let me play with it forever until I was happy before buying a bike. I love the hell out of mine!

G

·
It handles multiple via's fine just make sure you get them sorted properly as when you enter a via it adds them to the end, so if you do not want to do a sort add via's from your destination in order back to where you are starting or your route will jump back and forth.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Thanks guys, I think I would like it just fine. I never use all the functions of the 2720 anyway. I do like to option of planing a route on the pc and tranfsering to the gps....maybe Honda will come out with this later,it is on a sd card.....

Thanks again

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Honda Nav System

Okay on all the input. I am planning to take trip around the country and want to program in all the places I want to go and more importantly how I want to get there. I don't want to be limited by the "Fastest" or "Shortest" routes but be able to choose "My" routes to get from point A to B and I will be setting up many, many routes to make the trip. I disagree that waypoints is the old way of thinking as when going this distance it is different then just trying to locate a local restaurant or where the next Honda dealership is located. Most often I get input from my friends on taking specific routes to get to a specific location. So setting waypoints is important and it's the route that I want to take.

Even on my simple example (shown below) the Nav system does some really strange calculations (at least for me and the Garmin tech). Since some of you have had some success in programming specific routes can someone give me step by step programming (send me a PM) for the following:

Start on Rt 278 in Bluffton, SC
Travel west to I-95
Enter I-95 and travel south into Georgia to I-16
Enter I-16 and travel west to exit 25
Enter Rt 25 and travel north to Statesboro, Ga and stop for breakfast
From Statesboro take Rt 80 to Stilson, Rt 119 to Springfield, Rt 21 to I-95
Travel north on I-95 to exit 8 in South Carolina and travel west on Rt 278

This is pretty easy stuff and I would think the programming would be a snap. This was an actual ride that our club took and as you can see the going route was the fastest (mostly interstate) but returning was free form as we just wanted to see the countryside. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Re: Honda Nav System

XVTX said:
... I don't want to be limited by the "Fastest" or "Shortest" routes but be able to choose "My" routes to get from point A to B and I will be setting up many, many routes to make the trip. I disagree that waypoints is the old way of thinking as when going this distance it is different then just trying to locate a local restaurant or where the next Honda dealership is located. Most often I get input from my friends on taking specific routes to get to a specific location. So setting waypoints is important and it's the route that I want to take.

... This is pretty easy stuff and I would think the programming would be a snap. This was an actual ride that our club took and as you can see the going route was the fastest (mostly interstate) but returning was free form as we just wanted to see the countryside. Thanks.
The points that you made (highlighted) are not strengths of the Honda Navi system. This system is limited in its' functions and abilities... You can create only one route at a time, so you will be creating many routes, but you would be doing it just before you start the trip, from the seat...

The functions you're describing are not handled very well by the current version of the on-board Navi system. This type of routing is best handled by an aftermarket unit with more flexibility.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts