GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the rear pads with OEM and don't feel like I have adequate braking with the rear brakes. Has anyone found a way to test the rear brakes other than putting the bike on the center stand, putting the bike in gear and applying the rear brakes?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
How many miles has it been? It may take a few hundred miles for the new pads to wear in to the old rotors. Also, what brand pads?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pads have almost 2,000 miles on them and they are OEM. It is not ABS. Just doesn't feel like there is adequate braking on the rear wheel.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I like very simple tests with intuitive results. It may sound silly, but how about skidding the rear tire at low speed. A 5 foot skid mark on the street at 10 mph will not hurt anything. You should know what kind of pedal effort it takes to lock the tire and know what it feels like. I have also skidded the front tire going perfectly straight for short distances, but I would not recomend that for everyone. I was exploring the behavior at the limits. You might consider doing the test on a hard dirt road at low speed if you are concerned about flat spotting a tire. At low speed, not very much rubber is lost during a short 0.5 second skid.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Before you pushed the pistons in, did you clean them? if not, one or more may be sticking. They can stick both "in" and "out" but less likely "in." Failure to clean them usually results in brakes dragging rather than the opposite as your description. But, who knows?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Dave, When I replaced the rear pads I some how got the thin
metal clip bent UNDER the pad on one courner.
Thus the pad only touched on one end.
galewing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts