GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ok now I understand that there is just one shock absorber that’s fine and it has a sizeable spring in which the shock absorber sits. Now the question is, if I would want to…say remove that spring and put a tougher …ie…a stronger one on it. Can the hydraulic shock be taken out….? Or is it all built as one unit and can not be changed. I am finding that I get a better and smoother ride when I set the preload to about 12 to 15 and that just me on it only. In the idea world would like to get same smoothness at “ 0 “ preload if possible and only need the preload when I am riding two up and fully loaded saddle bags and such.

I only wish that I would have a junk rear suspension unit in my hands...so I could see for myself how this thing is put together....then I would know if it can or can not be done.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Can't be done. All one unit. Besides the spring and shock complement each other. There are plenty of pictures out there. Look.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Can't be done. All one unit. Besides the spring and shock complement each other. There are plenty of pictures out there. Look.

You can change out the spring. Stock is around 900 pound per inch. From memory both Progressive and Traxxion have 1200 lb units available. Both also have spring and shock units available. I would suggest just changing the spring for a start. (approx $90.00).

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=1838&str=4

Trev.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I have the Traxxion 1100 lb. rear spring on there shock,1200 I believe is for a really heavy load. I ride solo with a setting of 2 and two up at 8,I've never had to go over 16 fully loaded. I go 215 and my bride 130.

·
Registered
50 Posts
How to change the rear spring

It can be done. First you have to remove the gas tank and move out of the way the right saddle bag. You take out the rear shock and pre loader as a unit.Withe the shock out,disconnect the pre loader hydraulic line.Then you place the shock in a vise,remove a small allen screw on the pre loader. Then you need a spring compressor of the Progressive type.Once you compress the spring a bit,you will remove a circlip that holds the unit together. You proceed to change the spring, clean and bleed the pre loader and pump,put it back together and you are done. See shop manual and Fred Harmon's videos for further clarification.

·
Registered
874 Posts
The rear spring can be swapped out without removing the hydraulic adjuster motor and therefore no need to move the right saddle bag. I remove the upper and lower shock bolts then raise the shock so that the bottom of the shock can be temporarily mounted in the top mount.
I use a Progressive spring compressor to swap out the spring. Lacking a third hand, I used a string to keep the shock from tipping to the rear. The shock and spring in the pictures is Traxxion.

The spring is 1100 lb and that seems to be about right for me and my passenger. I have the suspension set to 0 when solo and no luggage. 16 when 2 up, fully loaded, and pulling a trailer.

Ron Fuller

Attachments

·
Registered
16,851 Posts
Following is a short cut provided by Stu Oltman. Set shock pre-load at lowest setting. Roll the fuel tank out of the frame. remove lower shock clevis pin. Loosen the upper clevis pin, hold the shock with one hand and remove that clevis pin. Carefully raise shock, taking care to guide the preload hydraulic line so as not to crimp it, until lower shock clevis mates with upper frame clevis, reinstall that upper clevis pin. Now the bike frame is your workbench jig. Use the RaceTech or other suitable spring compression tool to slightly relax the spring. Release the spring retainer and OE spring. Seat the new spring and re-assemble in reverse order.

The RaceTEch spring tool seems to be out of stock and/or production. Migh have to improvise or borrow one.

prs

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
You can change out the spring. Stock is around 900 pound per inch. From memory both Progressive and Traxxion have 1200 lb units available. Both also have spring and shock units available. I would suggest just changing the spring for a start. (approx $90.00).

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=1838&str=4

Trev.
For some reason I thought he meant completely removing it. Wasn't worded very well, I thought. Of course either one can be replaced seperately, but both are needed. You do need a special tool to remove and install a spring on the shock.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the info…I was wondering if the spring was removable so that heavier one could be fitted onto it. My ONLY peeve if you want to call it that, is when ever you want to do something on the gold wing its always like major surgery just to get at something. That’s what scares me….you have to take the bike all apart just to get to one thing.

In any case this is something I would like to do…not take the bike all apart I mean. But to tighten up the rear suspension some for a smoother ride.

·
Registered
16,851 Posts
Mongo, I strongly recommend that you upgrade the FRONT before beefing-up the rear. I was doing both at the same time, but just for grins, I did the rear first and then test road. The result was not anything you would want to ride long term.

prs

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh...why what happened...?

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I have run both the Progressive and Traxxion springs. The Traxxion is supposedly rated heavier than the Progressive, but the Progressive is taller than the stock or the Traxxion, which means you can get the same amount of sag with a spring that is less stiff.

Both springs work pretty well, and are better than stock if you are heavier than the 190 lb rider/120lb passenger that seems to be Honda's view of the average Wing rider. :shrug:

There are a couple of problems with replacing only the spring.

1. Shocks wear out long before springs. You don't want to go in there more times than you have to.
2. A heavy spring will work best with a shock that is more heavily damped and tuned to it. They work as a system. I have never tried it, but I'm not sure the Honda OEM shock is a good complement to a heavy duty aftermarket spring. (That is a guess.)

A heavier spring will keep you from bottoming out. A new shock will also help with bottoming out, but it's biggest benefit is keeping you from being thrown off the seat when the spring rebounds.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
How many miles on your bike? If there is less than 50,000 I would say simply remove the rear shock and service the hydraulic pre-load. Many here (me included) found that we did not get any pre-load on the shock until a setting of about 10.

I purchased a new rear shock with pre-load for $75.00 from http://www.nuttingcustomtrikes.com/ . Topped off the pre-load which comes from the factory with something less than optimal fill. Now, as soon as you press the button to increase load it starts moving. I have gone from riding around in town at a setting of 10 - 15 to riding at 0. With my wife on board I ride at 5 or 7 if we are not loaded for a trip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts