GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
American Honda has discontinued production of the DVD service manuals due to lack of interest by dealers and customers, (as in no sales). The '06-'08 version is the last version available on DVD. The '06-'09 print version is available now. Part # 61MCA54. Shouldn't be much difference other than coverage of the tire pressure monitor system.

Stu

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Hello Stu, thanks for the update. I'm glad I got my DVD, it allows me to review all the steps for a job, and print out fresh, clean pages for reference for each job I do. When done, I just chuck 'em. That does seem rather backwards, going back to a paper only format...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Stu, thanks for the update. I'm glad I got my DVD, it allows me to review all the steps for a job, and print out fresh, clean pages for reference for each job I do. When done, I just chuck 'em. That does seem rather backwards, going back to a paper only format...
Actually not going backwards, as they've offered both formats for years. I agree with you and use the DVD in the same way. But most folks apparently prefer the printed manual. So eliminating the DVD eliminates a significant cost. Speaking of cost elimination, we all know about the Hoot being cancelled and of Honda pulling out of racing. But recently, everyone in the motorcycle division was offered an early retirement or buyout. About 25% accepted those offers. This should get interesting.

Stu

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Shouldn't be much difference other than coverage of the tire pressure monitor system.

Stu
Been slowly reading my '09 "Goldwing Bible" since November and that's pretty much it...........how Honda can devote about 25 pages to just the TPMS is beyond me. :lol:
I've been waiting for the DVD ever since I got the paper version..........darn, guess I can stop waiting now.
Thanks for the info, Stu.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Copies will be available for 10-15 bucks for years to come.
And when the software pirates get caught (and they do), it'll cost 'em a hell of a lot more than they made on those rip-off copies.

Stu

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been waiting for the DVD ever since I got the paper version..........darn, guess I can stop waiting now.
Thanks for the info, Stu.
Just get the '06 - '08 version. It'll have everything except the TPMS pages.

Stu

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Ebay 10 bucks, Honda 65 bucks, for a round piece of plastic???? Honda should give you a disk when you plunk down 20K for the bike. JMHO

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Too bad they discontinued the CD version. :-(

I have both Print and CD and if I could only have one it would be the CD.

The main reasons are ease of use with actual colors in the wiring diagrams and the ability to print one out to make notes on or get oil covered in the garage.

Plus the CD version .pdf files can be and are loaded in my Laptop that tends to go with me on trips. The whole laptop with all it's functions is smaller and much lighter that lugging arround the mass of Paper & Binder.

JMHO

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Ebay 10 bucks, Honda 65 bucks, for a round piece of plastic???? Honda should give you a disk when you plunk down 20K for the bike. JMHO

Why not steal that $20K bike and get it for nothing? :shrug::roll:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Actually not going backwards, as they've offered both formats for years. I agree with you and use the DVD in the same way. But most folks apparently prefer the printed manual. So eliminating the DVD eliminates a significant cost. Speaking of cost elimination, we all know about the Hoot being cancelled and of Honda pulling out of racing. But recently, everyone in the motorcycle division was offered an early retirement or buyout. About 25% accepted those offers. This should get interesting.

Stu
Actually, workers from both auto and motorcycle production were given 'separation' or early retirement offers as appropriate.
The announcement was made in the evening and there was a long line of employees in the early AM to accept!

AG GL

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I'm worried that there won't be a Japanese wing at all. 2010 might be "it".

The only thing that gives me a ray of hope was the Honda goldwing owner survey I was asked to take part a few weeks ago. I doubt they would have gone to that trouble if there wasn't a plan for a next generation bike.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually, workers from both auto and motorcycle production were given 'separation' or early retirement offers as appropriate.
The announcement was made in the evening and there was a long line of employees in the early AM to accept!

AG GL
Did you accept?

Stu

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Too bad they discontinued the CD version. :-(

I have both Print and CD and if I could only have one it would be the CD.

The main reasons are ease of use with actual colors in the wiring diagrams and the ability to print one out to make notes on or get oil covered in the garage.

Plus the CD version .pdf files can be and are loaded in my Laptop that tends to go with me on trips. The whole laptop with all it's functions is smaller and much lighter that lugging arround the mass of Paper & Binder.

JMHO
Well, look at the bright side, Jerry. You're covered until you upgrade beyond a 2008 model. ;) I also have the DVD's contents loaded on a small laptop.

Stu

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm worried that there won't be a Japanese wing at all. 2010 might be "it".

The only thing that gives me a ray of hope was the Honda goldwing owner survey I was asked to take part a few weeks ago. I doubt they would have gone to that trouble if there wasn't a plan for a next generation bike.
If the last new model survey is any guide, we're about 2 to 3 years away from the next generation.

Stu

1 - 20 of 22 Posts