GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Office talk has it that the wing is uncomfortably warm in the summer due to engine heat being inadequately disapated. Any truth to this?

B

·
0 Posts
Only when you're not moving, and even then it's not that bad. If you're stuck in traffic in Phoenix, AZ in August, It might get hot.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Not nearly as bad as some other bikes!

The design and placement of the engine makes it much more comfortable than other bikes that have the engine placed high in the frame and between your thighs. BBQ, anyone?

Water cooling is also another factor to reduce the heat. Actually, more like dispersing the heat better.

Having ridden other bikes, I much prefer the design of the GW.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Uncomfortable for the Wing or for the rider? There was a recall some years ago to correct overheating which occurred usually in parade mode. I don't have any problem with heat from the bike. In very hot weather I get warm because the fairing protects from the wind, however, Air Wings solve that when you turn them in to direct the wind onto your torso.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I would bet no one in your office has a wing. Typically these type of comments come from the uninformed that have never ridden a Wing and typically run with the "cruiser" crowd.

In my opinion the wing does not get to unbearably hot...The performance of the bike outweighs the mild discomfort of sitting in it in traffic.

·
Chard Member
12,966 Posts
It's not hot because of excess engine heat, it's hot because you are enclosed behind a full fairing and lowers. No different than your BMW.

Tell the "office" people to ride one a few thousand miles, then they might know.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Red said:
It's not hot because of excess engine heat, it's hot because you are enclosed behind a full fairing and lowers. No different than your BMW.

Tell the "office" people to ride one a few thousand miles, then they might know.
Agreed. Every full faired bike I've ridden is warm/hot in summer, the ST1300 was the worse. The wing is hot because the large fairing does its job so well. In temps over 84-85 is when it gets uncomfortable for me and I ride the wing less and VFR more. In July/Aug I have a hard time wearing a full face helmet on the wing and will sometimes switch to a 3/4 or half (it feels really good but I know its dumb dumb dumb). I even wear wet tee shirts under my mesh jacket to keep cool, that really helps. The engine heat maybe rising straight up, where else can it go? I don't feel the direct heat like I did on my ST1300 though. The ST blew hot air on your lower legs, the gas tank got hot to the touch and the fairing pocket could cook your lunch. Every bike has some kind of flaw? (if you can call it that) its a bike after all but the wing has more comfort and less having to tough it out than anything else.

Steve

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
I'd rather be on my wing during the summer than on a Harley. Water cooled beats air cooled everytime! :D

Bartman

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Poll the office and see how many have GL1800s. Then, when you get some owners, find out how many miles they have ridden them in the last year. Now you have a knowledge base to work with.

Other than that, just look on the internet. Everyone with a computer is an expert on everything. They will tell you what you want to hear.

How is your Beamer in the heat? My GL1800 is just fine. Ridden worse. Can't say I've ridden better.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Where I live it gets up to 120 degress F in the summer, so I KNOW HEAT! The bigger the displacement, the more heat will be generated, and there is no getting around that fact. What can be done is to manage the heat and keep it from cooking the rider. Gold Wing engineers are experts at doing that and the heat coming off this bike in summer is well managed.

If you want to know what it is like to be cooked by engine heat, try riding an older model Honda ST or BMW. Them babies will light you right up! The only question is how do you like your shins? Blistered or charcoal chrispy?

:crew:

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Well I do get stuck in Phoenix. :D And the answer is still no :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
GW's only get you hot when stopped in traffic in hot weather. This comes from 200k miles experience on Goldwings. How many miles have your office experts ridden on one?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hot?

Yes, I think it is quite hot. Lots of engine heat and not a whole lot of airflow in the 'cockpit'.

But then I'm used to heat and heat management, since I also have an FJR. Big engines, lots of fairing = hot!

But I managed the hot on my FJR by redirecting the heat and isolating it from the gas tank, which got quite hot until I put insulation under it.

I expected heat on the Wing, so I wasn't surprised to discover that it is a bit hot. But with the proper riding apparel and the Baker Wings (I have mirror, fairing and engine wings or crash bar wings). They work quite well. Also very helpful are synthetic shirts and underwear, mesh riding suits and wet vests.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I had a VTX 1800 and when it was hot sitting in traffic and the fan came on it was definately hotter. I read all that stuff about engine heat, and although I live in Oregon and for the most part it only gets real hot for a short period I haven't noticed anything. I get hot from what I wear more than the bike being hot.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
We rode in South Dakota last July and it was 111 degrees by 2 PM. We stopped in Mobridge and got an air conditioned room. That was about the hottest day we ever rode. We could have gone on but we had already covered about 400 miles and decided we would get an early start before it got hot. Riding time management helped!

The GL1800 is no hotter than any other Gold Wing with a fairing that I have ever ridden. The Baker Air Wings helped bring in "air" ... not cool, but air!

:D

A day without sunshine is like ... well ... Night! :lol:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Heat

It's not the heat from the engine that gets me, it is the sun's heat that is unbearable. I have both a PC800 (no engine heat whatsoever) and a GL1800...when it is cloudy, both are a dream to ride. In the sunny season the sweat just pours off me. By the way, I always ride with some kind of jacket on, for skid protection, so that may be why I suffer with the heat.

·
Registered
430 Posts
By the way, I always ride with some kind of jacket on, for skid protection, so that may be why I suffer with the heat.
Larry,

Riding with a good jacket, even in humid heat is always a good idea - a must for me. What kind of jacket do you use? I have been using a JR Phoenix mesh and a First Gear Kili Air jacket. I much prefer the Kili Air for a better fit. These jackets have some protective armor in critical areas (the ones that usually hit the deck first) and actually help keep one cool. Probably cooler that riding around in a T-shirt, and much safer.

I'm stepping up to a Motorport Kevlar mesh riding suit and looking forward to trying it out. It's in the mail now, but with our recent blizzards and cold weather, probably won't be tested by me anytime soon :cry:

·
Registered
525 Posts
In the sunny season the sweat just pours off me. By the way, I always ride with some kind of jacket on, for skid protection, so that may be why I suffer with the heat.
I grew up in Florida in the days before A.C. The sweat would pour off you just walking to the car in the parking lot and then would get worse as you climbed into an even hotter car. Never was much of an issue. In the summer you sweated. In August you really sweated. Then, I drove through So. Carolina in August without A.C. Holy Cow!!!! Now THAT is heat.

I think in those days if I have been riding a Wing and had wind I would have been supremely comfortable. The A.C. deconditions a rider just like living in coastal Southern California deconditions you. Over 73 and you are hot. Under 65 and you are cold. Makes you into a weeny.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts