GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the time to get new tires has come a little faster then I had hoped for....but what ever, it's times.

Ok here is the question...who of you have tried or used the Metzeler ME880 marathon's on your GL1800...? How do you like that....give me some feel back....the Good...Bad....or whatever....

My dealer is saying I should go with the Metz....I am thinking Bridge Stones....but he says the Metz out perform the Stone's.

This weekend I get new tires.....so what's your input in the Metz...????

:confused:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Tires

I like the 880s the frt tire wore like iron the back tire not so good. Replace 2 rears to one frt. Got 17000 out of the frt this was when it was a 2 wheeler. Ran 41 and 42 psi in the tires. JMO PS didn't like the bridgestones at all to soft.

Sonney

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Well my 2c worth. I removed the OEM’S and fitted up ME 880’s. On our local chip roads the oem’s were like riding on a diesel spill if it was damp let alone wet. I heard later that quite a few Wings end up in the gutter on the OEM tyres. I have used the 880’s on other lighter bikes and have found them predictable and solid.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
On our local chip roads the oem’s were like riding on a diesel spill if it was damp let alone wet.
:agree: but this can be said of any tire over the OEMs. The Dunlop E3s stick like glue as compared to the D250s, so Dunlop knows how to do it right. D250s are designed for long life and that means poorer traction.

However, after having two Metz rears bubble/separate with only 4K on them, I switched to Avons which offer equivalent stickiness and ease in installation. E3s caused my HF changer to bend with their hard sidewalls, Metz can be pulled with ease, and the Avons even easier with even softer sidewalls.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Have 70,000 Wing miles on 880s a bunch more other bike miles. Been using them for years and have never seen a reason to change.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Why not? Best way to find out is to test them out yourself. If you aren't completely satisfied with your current tires, then try something different. Then you'll have a good comparison.

Well the time to get new tires has come a little faster then I had hoped for....but what ever, it's times.

Ok here is the question...who of you have tried or used the Metzeler ME880 marathon's on your GL1800...? How do you like that....give me some feel back....the Good...Bad....or whatever....

My dealer is saying I should go with the Metz....I am thinking Bridge Stones....but he says the Metz out perform the Stone's.

This weekend I get new tires.....so what's your input in the Metz...????

:confused:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Metzelers are really good tires. I've had them on a VTX and a Goldwing and they hold up really well for me with never a problem. I think the rubber compound is pretty tough. Problems can occur with any tire and I am sure others have had problems with Metzelers, but I never did. The most important thing we can do with tires is to keep the cold pressure up and check them often. I keep mine on 41 lbs, front and rear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Metzler Tires

For what it's worth I have run metzler tires on my LT BMW since new. What they told me then and what I have always done is run them with 50psi. I usually get 16 to 18 thousand miles out of the rear and around 25 to 30 out of the front.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Rear Metzlers owned: 4
Rear Metzlers separated: 2
Total miles from all four rear tires: 30k
Metzlers in my future: 0

Square MC tires owned:4
Square MC tires worn out:4
Total Miles from four tires: well over 100k
Square tires in my future: all of them.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I had a set of metzler's both tires came apart almost like they were recaps.Bridgestones for me.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Yup. Seen Bridgestones come apart like that too. Had Avon's develop a buldge also. Seen/heard of reports of Dunlops failing. All the MT makes have failed at some point. :?

I had a set of metzler's both tires came apart almost like they were recaps.Bridgestones for me.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Darkside forum for solutions to your query.:thumbup:

·
Registered
653 Posts
I've had 2 Bridgestone 709's separate, and none of the last 6-8 Metz's I've run have had a problem. I run 44-45 in rear, and as low as 38 in the front. I'm only getting about 8k, which I'm not crazy about. This is with 70 series. But, the one Bridgestone I tried, that didn't separate, didn't doing so hot either for wear. Seems like it was about 8k also.

On the other hand, a friend whom I recommended in favor of running a second 880 for his 1500, lost that one to blocks coming off at just 4k miles, just like the one that was on the bike when he got it. Their combined weight is less than ours, and he is running same pressure as I do, and I don't know why he's had that problem. I run 880's on my 1200 and 1500's with no problem at all. I do believe that hot pavement doesn't do the tires (rear) any favor. I've seen mine up to 165 degrees, and I try to stop before then.

But, because of short tread wear, I'm getting closer to CT camp.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Put 880's on the front of my 01, result was a terrible wobble, had to have it taken off, and put the old one back on. E3's, or stones from now on.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yesterday a friend of mine showed me some pictures his buddy took of a rear 880 on his Electra Glide. Whole sections of the tread was missing right down to the cords. The tires weren't worn out yet either. I'd stay away from using them on heavy bikes...

·
Registered
442 Posts
This is one we changed. Rider felt some vibration. Most of the grooves were cracked as well.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Augh! I just got bent over for a new Metzler rear tire this morning. I'm too embarrassed to say what I paid. I needed a replacement fast. My own failure to plan ahead. I had a Bridgestone previously and I liked it.

I'm buying that Atlas tire changer someone posted on here a while back. Then I'll be back on the Bridgestones. Hopefully this Metzler I got today is a good one.

·
Registered
694 Posts
A club member had a rear 880

delaminate and lose chunks on a ride to Colorado 2 weeks ago. Some 880s were recalled due to a incorrect pressure label (too low). If he followed the label it would have been under inflated. Unclear if these were included in recall.

I learned the importance of never having a need for a repair that I can't fix on a Monday.

·
Registered
4 Posts
metzler on rear only

just installed new 880 on rear and its awesome compare to e3 so far . especially remembering feel of new e 3 althought e3 lasted 20500 miles. i still have e3 on front as someone on board was raving about and i do agree.:agree:

1 - 20 of 108 Posts