GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many '01, '02, '03 etc.,owners plan on keeping and riding their GL1800 forever, and never have thoughts of trading up?

Also, with some '07 GL1800 reaching prices over a $20,000, were do you see yourself paying that much for moving up, especially when a '07 Honda Civic is going for less then $20,000 with ABS and air bag.

Personally, my decision year if I trade up or keep my '03 forever will all come down on the '08 model.
Hopefully by then Honda will improve enough for me to pay the difference, and will bring back the color yellow.

Have you given any thought?

Happey Turkey Day Thursday...... :chicken: :eat1:

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Let's see.....um....had a 98 Ultra, happy as could be with it, didn't plan on getting rid of it.....then it happened...on the way to Sturgis with some riding friends, two of us on Harley's, one Yamaha Venture, and a Yamaha Road star, we stopped in Selina KA at the Harley dealer to get s t-shirt, well, I'll be dipped in apple butter, :22yikes: he was a Harley/Honda dealer.

Sitting there was a 02 Honda Wing in Illusion Blue, man she was sweet looking. :1st: ..asked the manager how would he trade, shot me a price, called the wife, she said " do whatever you want" :clap2: , badda Bing, new wing owner....and the saga started...

02 Wing, 03 HD UC 100th edition, 04 Wing, 05 Wing, 06 HD UC, 07 wing, will the madness end, good golly I hope not, I'm having way too much fun...... :yes: :yes:

oh, I drive a 79 Chevy PU, my Hoop-tie truck... :lol: I'd rather have motorcycles....and I only trade when the ash tray gets full.... :wink:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Traded the 04 for an 05 because it was the 30th year anniversary edition, so I intend to keep it.
May add to the stable some day, but this one stays.

Pat

·
Registered
230 Posts
I plan on keeping my 03 as long as I can ride it. Will seriously look at a new wing when the next generation model comes out but wouldnt buy one till they've been out for a year or so.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I won't know till I git ther. Shoot ther is lots a cars out there that cost less than my 05 but it wuzn't whut I wanted. :lol:

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have an '02 and no intentions of trading up anytime soon.
I have done quite a few mods to it and have it set up the way I like it.
It would take quite a drastic change in styling, and or engine changes to get me to spend that much on a new bike, when mine will do almost anything the '07 models will do, maybe more :wink:

·
Registered
21,020 Posts
yellow 2008 comfort nav and ABS sounds good to me

then again i might not b able to pass up a good deal on a nice used one

intend to buy sometime after my 02 hits 200,000

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Mike W. - I ordered a new 02 G1800A back in April of 2002 and I was all set to pick it up when another deal suddenly surfaced through a dealer friend of one of my son's on a brand new 01 (without the ABS). The incentive to buy the 01 was the $6,600, less money out the door. In the end, even though I really wanted the ABS, the overall savings was simply too much to pass up and I went with the new Illusion Red 01 1800. I'm working on 123,000 miles now and it's been nothing short of a marvelous motorcycle that has far exceeded my wildest expections. I'm one of those guys that has added a rather significant amount of accessories, safety items and comforts items and the bike is almost --- almost at a point where I don't feel there is that much more I want to add other than maybe a new WindBender windshield, some heated grips and maybe if I really go wild a 2nd bullet cam to give me additional recorded views on trips and great roads.

Do I wish my Wing had ABS, yes, but would I trade up to a newer model to get the newer Wing and ABS, no. My bike is fixed the way I like it and has far far more features and items on it that would take thousands upon thousands of dollars to even come close to duplicating where I am now (we are talking 5 digits now). Even with my mileage, there is simply no reason to upgrade - none. I like this bike and I know it will carry me many many miles with the same kind of performance it has provided so far. Ultimately, I will add to the stable with another Wing, but this bike is worth far more to me as it is now than what I could ever begin to expect I could get in a trade or a sale, and I don't see any meaningful improvement to induce me to add a 2nd Wing, not yet. What changes have been made "for the most part" I can duplicate and improve upon for a lot less money.

I've got a great motorcycle. It runs well, has a lot of nice accessories and changes made to it, and it's equipped for any kind of weather or trip that I would ever want to make with it, plus it looks very much like a brand new Wing just off the showroom floor.

It just isn't in the cards to trade, but it would look good to have two of them side by side and for when I want to have my sons ride or travel with me, or maybe ride a different color.

DaleC

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I wouldn't swap my 05 ABS for a new Wing for even money. I've already added everything I really want or need with aftermarket and got it right how I like it. Don't really want the heated seats or hand grips because my Gerbings keep me toasty. I especially do NOT want the air bags or built in handicaped GPS unit. I want the ABS on any Wing I buy but would not be able to get it unless I pay through the nose and get a bunch of crap I don't want or need in the process. Their current price and packaging scheme have guarenteed that I will not be buying a new Wing. Even if my 05 took a complete dump or was totaled, I would probably be looking for a used 05 ABS Wing to replace it.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I've got the extended warranty. It'll expire just when I retire. Then I'll be looking. Figure I'll have around 140k on the clock at that time... it'll probably be broke in by then. lol

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
With 84k on my '03, I have no plans to change bikes in the near future. However, if I was looking for another bike right now, it would have ABS; if it was a Wing, it would either be a new or slightly used '05 Wing, or it might be an FJR1300 or ST1300.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I did. I went armed with prices and my own discount that I get thru my dealer. Couldn't pass up the good deal that he gave me on the bike, acessories, and the trade-in valve. So four payments over the winter months and a new 07 Dark Orange is my in Febuary.

Previous owner of an 02 Pearl Orange.

Now I got to get my new Trailwind trailer repainted. Dang it.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I've already sent Hal my deposit on a 2008 GL2200 :) --- That's when I plan to sell my 02.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
My '02 ABS is still rather close to stock:

Utopia backrest
spoiler
Bustec V2 deluxe hitch
Butler cup
Kury highway pegs
Air Rider Cell interface (rarely used)
Quest GPS on ram mount
Some chrome and pinstriping on the bags (came with the replacement bags)

Ok, close to stock compared to a lot of wings. hehe

There's still a few things I want to put on it, but nothing Honda has offered yet has even turned my head towards getting a newer one. I have no need in this part of the country for the comfort package, I don't need the Nav system, I don't like the Euro style tail lights...

I just plain don't see a reason to trade it in. Heck it's even orange!

Oh yea... the warranty expires in 2010. We'll see what Honda is offering then. But at my current rate of racking up the miles, it'll only have about 40-50K on this one.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
My '05 1800A will be my last new Wing. If & when i get the urge for a NEW motorcycle, i'll keep the Wing & add a 2nd motorcycle.
Probably a Triumph.
the hobo

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,526 Posts
My Traxxion 03 Wing with 33000 miles feels better than my buddys new 06 Wing with only 6000 miles on it, so unless I totaled my Wing, I have no desire to get a newer Wing. I would like to have ABS brakes, but it would take a new Gold Wing model that has some major improvements over this model Wing for me even to think about getting rid of my 03.

Like most here, I have my 03 right where I want it at this point with the chrome, GPS, seat and suspension upgrades, and not to mention I almost have my bike paid off, so I have no desire to start over with the same model that I already have. Now if Honda were make some major improvements like giving the Wing more HP and torque and vastly improve the suspension along with some other evolutionary improvements to this model, I could see myself wanting to buy a new Wing.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I just added a new Yamaha Roadliner S to the garage, but even if I
hadn't, I can't imagine trading my '03 anytime soon. I got a very
good deal on it, it's been bullet proof, and the prices have gone up
so much. Throw in the fact that my wife is riding her own bike now
too... I'll be riding the '03 for a long time.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I think I am one who does not like changing all the time.

I did look at a 05 last year and almost traded then. But my 02 is paid for and I would have to have borrowed a little for the new one. I decided to get the extended warranty on mine and see how many miles I can get on it by the time the extended warranty runs out.

The best part of this whole thing is I am allowed to change my mind :wink: :wink: A nice Harley might come along and who knows what might happen :?: :?: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Well, I bit the bullet and got myself an 07. I got retail money for my rewelded 03 non ABS on trade, plus the tax savings, plus bought the new one at invoice. {Hatfield Motorsports)

At 75K+ on the odo, I didn't care about putting 100K on it, as I've done it a few times before, and got dirt for them at trade time.

Plenty of upgrades over the 03 also. ABS, GPS, heated grips and seat, ass kickin stereo, lighted controls, etc. etc. And NO rewelded frame!!

The day I picked it up, the 3.9% financing for 3 years kicked in, so that was a nice little bonus.

The new one has Zero wobble, No cruise control lag, is Faster and handles better. And I Love the bright silver!!

In another 3 years or so, I'll probably do it again. For now, I'm pretty content with my choice.

To each, their own. Ride and be happy!!

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Soon as my ext warranty is done this bike is gone. Then, depending on whats out there of course, I will buy another one.

I imagine I would finance some. I can make 20 to 30% on my money every year so I like using theirs.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts