GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For attachment points on a trailer floor I used these.
From the front to rear I used 48" because that's where the floor stringers were.
I drilled the front points through the stringers, placed the wheel chock, and found the rear points(stringers).
Of course all this depends on where the bike ends up over the axle.
A good rule of thumb is 60% of loaded trailer weight ahead of axle center.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tie Down Point

I am picking up a 03 Wing on a U-Haul next week I got the ratchets and soft tie straps but how does the side cover remove up near the seat to get to the frame? Does it just snap on and off or are any tools needed to remove the covers on both sides?

Thanks

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
Tulsa tie-down method to trailer a Wing

I moved my Wing by trailer to Tennessee in October 2008 in a Penske truck. I made a frame to provide tie-down points and used the Tulsa method to secure the bike.

Below are photos of the frame I constructed to secure the bike during transport. The securing method can also be seen at:

http://www.tulsaenterprises.com/tiedown.html

The bike easily made the 600 mile trip there (and back when I decided not to retire from the Navy) with absolutely no mishaps.

Photos below. Hope these help someone.

U-shaped 4x4 frame with 2x6's and 2x10's as cross members; Condor wheel chock

Eye bolts thru 4x4's

Corner reinforcements

8-14-08 New photos

Front secured through triple tree

Secured to frame pulling forward

Safety bar and subframe secured in the rear; frame secured to deck with screws

Hopefully she'll make the 600-mile trip unscathed

·
Registered
939 Posts
Neat, Dr. Bob.

·
Registered
478 Posts
My question where or exactly do you route the soft ties at the front? The back is 100% clear because of pictures but the front is a little foggy for me. Can anyone explain it in better detail or maybe a picture or two.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
My question where or exactly do you route the soft ties at the front? The back is 100% clear because of pictures but the front is a little foggy for me. Can anyone explain it in better detail or maybe a picture or two.

Thanks
You route them above the triple tree on each side. Be careful not to put them over top of any cables. I also put a padded block under the bottom of the engine to keep the forks from compressing too much. I also keep the bike in nuteral while it is being towed because I am a little anal when it comes to the tranny.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts