GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the s##t scared out of me. I was reading about four problems with the 1800's. First being poorly designed firmware in the nav system, cold hesitation, wobble and last but not least, the transmission. Still have 6 years on warranty and by then it will be way over 100K. I can live with three of them. I think we should push Honda to make the nav more user friendly. I am sorry I sold the 550. Has anyone here had problems with their transmission? If so, then how many miles before problem surfaced, are you pulling trailer and what is your riding style? Is there a way to avoid the potential problem with shifting style? Just curious.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I have owned 4 Goldwings over 14 years, 2001, 2003, 2006 and now 2008. I have never had any issues with my transmissions and I have put 100,000 miles on the bikes. No need to borrow trouble, just ride and enjoy and stop worrying.

I pulled a 300lb trailer for a few thousand miles with the 01 and 06 with zero issues. I am a fairly aggressive rider and pulled the trailer at 70mph and above with no issues. I live in the mountains so I work the transmission a lot because I seek out the winding roads when I travel.

As far as the wobble goes, you have to let go of the handle bars while decelerating to get it to wobble so don't do that. I have had the wobble but I run Dyna beads balancing beads and a fork brace and that helped. I never noticed any wobble while actually riding any of the bikes.

As far as the NAV goes, I use it for basic stuff on trips but I'm not a NAV nerd so it doesn't bother me. My main use for the NAV is to pull it up and make sure whatever road I'm exploring doesn't end in the middle of nowhere or get me from A to B.

Never had any cold hesitation on any of the bikes.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just got the s##t scared out of me. I was reading about four problems with the 1800's. First being poorly designed firmware in the nav system, cold hesitation, wobble and last but not least, the transmission. Still have 6 years on warranty and by then it will be way over 100K. I can live with three of them. I think we should push Honda to make the nav more user friendly. I am sorry I sold the 550. Has anyone here had problems with their transmission? If so, then how many miles before problem surfaced, are you pulling trailer and what is your riding style? Is there a way to avoid the potential problem with shifting style? Just curious.
My experience with forums has been positive, overall. You might want to remember that a lot of people don't write about "everything is fine - working as it should". People usually post about an issue they are concerned about. This can give the impression that a particular problem is more widespread that it actually is. People will talk about a problem someone brought up, so it seems like there are lots of people with the problem.
Cracked frames, transmission shifting forks, etc. are not as common as they appear to be! They are (or were) just talked about a lot. Overall, as "goldwing fan" said, "The wing is a good reliable bike...".
Fear Not! You made a very good choice!

·
Registered
230 Posts
110,000 miles on my 2002 and no clutch or transmission problems except the clunky 1st-2nd shift from day one which I've learned to live with.

·
Vendor
16,406 Posts
Glad to hear you have warranty left. If you do have transmission problems, and the issue is reproducible for a Honda tech, Honda will fix it. As for many having problems, I'm sure Honda has fixed tens of thousands of them. As for me, not nearly that many. However, because of Honda tranny problem, if you follow my posts, I only advise people to buy used GL1800s if they have at least 1 year left under warranty ... the reason ... because the market is flooded with used GL1800s with transmission problems. For example, sometimes I get as many as 3 calls a day from owners with transmission problems, and sometime I won't get any calls for a couple of weeks. In most cases most choose to sell their Wing and pass the problem onto someone else.

·
Registered
149 Posts
110,000 miles on my 2002 and no clutch or transmission problems except the clunky 1st-2nd shift from day one which I've learned to live with.
Ha! You think a wing is clunky? Try a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500/1600/1700!
Kawi's are known for good tranny's, but not quiet ones! Every Vulcan owner can testify to 2 things about their transmission:
#1: positive neutral is the neatest feature
#2: every shift you will EVER make from 1st to 2nd on a Kawasaki Vulcan, will be accompanied by the prominent "CLACK" sound!
Six Kawasaki's and not one bit of transmission problem, but quiet shifting?
NO!
(For that matter, 11 Harleys, and only 1 (v-rod) without the "clack" sound when shifting.)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Ha! You think a wing is clunky? Try a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500/1600/1700!
Kawi's are known for good tranny's, but not quiet ones! Every Vulcan owner can testify to 2 things about their transmission:
#1: positive neutral is the neatest feature
#2: every shift you will EVER make from 1st to 2nd on a Kawasaki Vulcan, will be accompanied by the prominent "CLACK" sound!
Six Kawasaki's and not one bit of transmission problem, but quiet shifting?
NO!
(For that matter, 11 Harleys, and only 1 (v-rod) without the "clack" sound when shifting.)
Yes, the "positive neutral" finder was a neat feature on both my Concours. Never gave it much thought. Good transmissions also, but not silent shifters. Need the six gear ratios spaced out a bit further.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
On my ZX-14 Kawaka the transmission is butter smooth to shift Only time it clunk as with most other bikes is from neutral to first gear (y)

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Never experienced any transmission problems but my wing is barely broke in. The water pump did fail with only 450,000 miles on it, bought a cheap rebuilt pump that now has 100,000 miles and so far it’s not leaking. The first driveshaft was replaced under warranty at 200,000 and 250,000 miles later I had to replace it again. First alternator failed at 69,000 miles and second alternator failed at 204,000 miles, thankfully those were both fully covered under the very good Honda warranty . After the warranty ran out I started carrying a spare alternator and have had to replace it 2 more times, luckily since the warranty ran out the 2 alternator failures have happened at home.
You definitely will not find a motorcycle with a better warranty than the Honda Goldwing.
In 2015 the wing transmissions were improved and I don’t remember hearing of any of those failing since.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
When I sold my '01 GL1800 it had 168,000 mi. of smiles and I never had a shifting or any other trans problem, and I never had an overheating problem that some of the early GL1800's had.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The guy who blows up the most transmissions riding around the highways of this great country wins......

:):):):):):):):):):)

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
Let me tell you a story. When I was stationed in Hawaii, I did a lot of Scuba diving. It's understood that the potential for encountering a shark is always there. 30 or 40 dives in, I finally encountered a shark. My dive partner and I settled to the bottom and watched as it cruised around and finally left, never giving us a second look. For about the next 5 dives I spent my time looking over my shoulder, completely ruining my dives, and never seeing another shark. I finally shook it off and never had a bad dive after. The moral of the story is if you spend your time worrying about or looking for a problem to occur, you'll loose some of the best riding time you'll ever have seeking a problem that probably will never appear. Go out, ride it and enjoy it. If the problem occurs, use that warranty. If it doesn't, you will have enjoyed your investment to the fullest.
As for the other issues, the NAV has always had problems. If Honda can't fix it, get a Garmin. Wobble is not that big an issue. Maintain the steering head bearings, wheel bearings, and the front forks. Loose bearings or worn guides and slides will contribute, but can be fixed as it's normal wear and tear. Worn tires can be a factor as well. Relax, you're not riding a ticking time bomb.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have TraxxIon Dynamics head set on my Wing and it diffidently took care of the wobble that I had going around 65-70.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I'm going to go with "definitely", unless you're saying it "modestly" took care of the wobble?

·
Registered
17 Posts
My experience with forums has been positive, overall. You might want to remember that a lot of people don't write about "everything is fine - working as it should". People usually post about an issue they are concerned about. This can give the impression that a particular problem is more widespread that it actually is. People will talk about a problem someone brought up, so it seems like there are lots of people with the problem.
Cracked frames, transmission shifting forks, etc. are not as common as they appear to be! They are (or were) just talked about a lot. Overall, as "goldwing fan" said, "The wing is a good reliable bike...".
Fear Not! You made a very good choice!
Goldwings are really great bikes that's why I bought one and I have a little over 100,000 miles on it and it runs and rides like the day I bought it.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Everything is fine - working as it should. An 01 and an 02, both with ABS.

Hats off to Wingnn.

Shali, stop wishing for bad luck and knockin on wood. The late John Prine.

Rayjoe

·
Registered
17 Posts
Never heard of the wobble at 65/70 , other than perhaps a bad tire. . I have only heard of it slowing down around 40/30 and then with one hand off the bars. I cant imagine a high speed wobble.
Yea and it didn't happen all the time but when I put a new aluminium triple tree and beveled bearings in the headset it diffidently tightened the handling up and I also put hydraulic suspension front and rear with Helibars and its a whole new ride

1 - 20 of 21 Posts