GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pay attention Trike owners. NHTSA wants to know if any of you have experienced cracks or failures in the new location on the rear triangle of the frame. Since most Trikes connect their shocks to this location, a failure in this area will most likely become a safety issue.

If you have a GL1800 Trike, you would be wise to do a thorough inspection of the rear triangle for cracks. If you find any, please either notify me, or NHTSA directly, as they are very interested in this data.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
If we did that our trikes would be off warrenty faster then I can type this. If you bought a trike through a Honda dealer & he converted it you can get away with a lot. Because any warreny work done on it is as a bike & not a trike. I know of one Honda dealer that welded 8 trikes as bikes. For the frame weld issue. Thanks but no thanks. I don not have enough money in my pockets to try & fight Honda about any warrenty issues. I will let the trike dealer take care of it. I think the world of you Fred & all you have done for us. But when it comes to me getting the shaft from Honda for a trike I will use the back channels to make sure ALL my trike will be warrentied.

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If NHTSA gets data on Trikes that are failing, they have the power to force the Trike manufactures to remedy the problem, not Honda.

If you Trike owners have cracks in your frames and need help, NHTSA can and will assist, but not unless you report the problems to them.

It is up to you...

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Why would a trike company replace a Honda frame. That is like opening a can of worms. Honda needs to stand behind THERE frames, not the trike companies. Just what I think.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
The issue is that the vehicle is a "conversion". When the vehicle was modified, the warranty on the vehicle in regards to the modified components falls on the conversion company (the frame is not being used in the same manner in which it was designed). In as much as the OEM frame was not tested in a conversion, Honda could not be held responsible as the structural design of the vehicle had been changed.

Another example would be Ford. They have a chassis that is designed for Ambulance service. If you use a standard chassis for an ambulance, there is no warranty on the chassis available.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I do not have any idea what a new frame & the labor would cost. I would not want to find out either. If your willing to pay for it out of your pocket your a better man then me. Because I am not willing to pay for something that is not my fault. If the frames are breaking on the bikes. Then trikeing it is no reason for them to break more often. It is just a reason for Honda to get out of paying for something that is there fault. Defective Frames !!!!! Not defective trike kits. The kits are not the problem. It is the Honda Frame which can not even support a swing arm & rear tire. If the frames on ONLY trikes broke then you would have a leg to stand on. That is not the case.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Lewis/EC said:
The issue is that the vehicle is a "conversion". When the vehicle was modified, the warranty on the vehicle in regards to the modified components falls on the conversion company (the frame is not being used in the same manner in which it was designed). In as much as the OEM frame was not tested in a conversion, Honda could not be held responsible as the structural design of the vehicle had been changed.

Another example would be Ford. They have a chassis that is designed for Ambulance service. If you use a standard chassis for an ambulance, there is no warranty on the chassis available.
What about the frames that have never had a trailer or a trike that have the same crack? What do you say about that? You people crack me up that back Honda so blindly. The fact is that the frames are cracking in the same place if you trailer or trike or not. The only way to know for sure what happened here is to have a bike xrayed and look at by a expert. I'm not expert, but I was a certifed pipefitter. I have seen enough welds to know in my opion this is not a stress crack. If you look close at the pictures I sent out, you will notice that there is no stretch marks around the crack. This looks like a vibration crack caused by poor manufacturing. In my opion the frame is brittle do to over heating in that area. To much time spent at the peak of the weld. It will be tested on day I'm sure. :roll:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Frames

Silver Bullet,

I hate to tell you this, but the "new" frame cracks are not all in the same place and why is it that you jump to the conclusion that Honda is not examining these frames? Why is it that you "blindly" blame Honda for something that is not clear yet and no answer has come to light? The last information I had last week was that out of 7 frames that had cracks, one was in an accident, three towed trailers and three didn't. Things may have changed since then, but I would bet not much. None were trikes. There doesn't seem to be a pattern as yet. The only pattern I see so far is the one to jump to conclusions about Honda and its reaction to this issue.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Re: Frames

bcmc58 said:
Why is it that you "blindly" blame Honda for something that is not clear yet and no answer has come to light? The last information I had last week was that out of 7 frames that had cracks, one was in an accident, three towed trailers and three didn't.
Gary,
I don't think it is blind blame. One bike was damaged in an accident. That leaves 6 that broke. Towing is not an issue. I don't care if elephants rode the bike. I don't care if a pothole swallowed the bike. I don't care if the bike towed the QEII. The frame shouldn't suffer damage unless other damage occurs first.

I hit a pothole once that I am lucky to have survived. The rim was nearly flattened as a result. Other parts were replaced for safety. The frame integrity was never in question.

You think we are quick to blame MH. I think you are quick to blame anything else no matter what. Wear a Gold Winger's hat once in a while. You are retired, right?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re: Frames

bcmc58 said:
Silver Bullet,

I hate to tell you this, but the "new" frame cracks are not all in the same place and why is it that you jump to the conclusion that Honda is not examining these frames? Why is it that you "blindly" blame Honda for something that is not clear yet and no answer has come to light? The last information I had last week was that out of 7 frames that had cracks, one was in an accident, three towed trailers and three didn't. Things may have changed since then, but I would bet not much. None were trikes. There doesn't seem to be a pattern as yet. The only pattern I see so far is the one to jump to conclusions about Honda and its reaction to this issue.
You keep saying that Honda is not at fault here. You don't know that. You keep trying to put it on the rider. The fact of the matter is you don't know. Stop trying to blame the riders if you don't know. If Honda knows what happen, then why don't they say so??? The fact is they know or they won't say. Maybe Honda don't what you to know whats going on because it there fault. Believe me if Honda could prove it isn't there problem. They would!!!
Do you honstly think that out of the goodness of there hearts that they are willing to replace frames. Get Real Gary. This trailer thing is just a loop hole if you ask me. Especially when you have 1000's of 550lb camper trailer pullers without cracks. Elk is right about you. You nothing about a spin doctor...

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
SB,

Where in my post did I reference anything you mention? Someone questioned why a convertered trike should be excluded by Honda's warranty. That was all I addressed. I certainly do not see where I was "backing Honda so blindly." Please re-read my post.

I am as worried, maybe more than most, about the frame issue. I feed my family from income generated by accessories we build for 1800's (and other bikes, but mostly 1800's). If these bikes stop selling, where do companies like myself, Tulsa, VP and others go?

I certainly feel for you, Topster and all others in your situations. I hope the resolution (whatever it may be) works for you that allows you to love the sport again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Lewis/EC said:
SB,

Where in my post did I reference anything you mention? Someone questioned why a convertered trike should be excluded by Honda's warranty. That was all I addressed. I certainly do not see where I was "backing Honda so blindly." Please re-read my post.

I am as worried, maybe more than most, about the frame issue. I feed my family from income generated by accessories we build for 1800's (and other bikes, but mostly 1800's). If these bikes stop selling, where do companies like myself, Tulsa, VP and others go?

I certainly feel for you, Topster and all others in your situations. I hope the resolution (whatever it may be) works for you that allows you to love the sport again.

I understand you being worried about this. If Honda would do the right thing & replace the bikes. There good reputation & there customers would stay true to the Honda brand, but they choose to do the wrong thing. This will hurt all 1800 owners, Dealers, Factory Workers, Accessory Manufactors. and so on... Honda Is screwing up here big time... Deny Deny Deny. Only emit your wrong if you have to. You know the Bill Clinton way.... This is one of the major thinks that is detroying the Country. What happen to just doing the right think??? :cry:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Frames

Tater,

No one knows if towing is or is not an issue in this "new" crack. Tater, I'm not blaming anyone. However, if the bike is stationary it can't crack. Some person has to ride it to do that. My whole point was that we don't know why cracks have appeared. BTW: they didn't "break", just cracked. I know you don't care how or why about anything that happens to a Honda bike. Honda should fix it. I don't jump to conclusions without an investigation. This investigation just started about two weeks ago. What do you expect from MH? Instant answers? As far as your suggestion to "wear a Gold Wingers hat," I am a Winger and have been riding them for over 20 years. If you mean I should join the very small minority of your group that has the attitude that you and a few others have here, I'd rather stay with the vast majority of openminded and satisfied Honda 1800 owners, thank you.

Silver,

I never said it wasn't Honda's fault. I said we don't know. I'm sure you don't know and I know that Honda hasn't had sufficiant time to know for sure either. Honda fixes things they make because it's the law. Some times they do it out of the goodness of their hearts too. But I can't believe that you can't understand why Honda would want to fix what you did to your bike after they told you not to do it? Me get real? I'm real real. I read the owners manual and have never towed a trailer and if I ever trike my two wheeler, I will understand that it is my responsibilty and the trike parts makers to fix it. "The trailer thing is a loop hole." Then why did you do it? It doesn't get any more real than that!

Now before I finish this post I want you to read this carefully. No one knows yet why the new cracks have appeared. They may be caused by overloading or towing or tying it down to tight or a weak point in Honda's frame. We don't know! You knew that towing a trailer and trikeing a bike might (I said "might") void certain parts of the warranty. That's because Honda didn't design the bike to tow a trailer or to run on three wheels.

Now, since you are a pipefitter and I was an employee of Honda and still have some inside contacts, why don't you let me see what I can find out about it and until we do find out about it, please stop reading things into my post that I didn't say.

Yes, I am retired, Tater. That means I get up when I want to, I eat when I feel like it and I don't have any bosses (other than me wee wifey). But it doesn't mean I have to retire my brain does it?

·
Registered
990 Posts
"they're just cracked, they did't break." That like saying that the guy is not dead he just stopped breathing. What do you suspect will happen to a crack, that it will some how close up and go away. Or that it will eventually get bigger and finally fracture. That is usually the nature of cracks in metal. Does Honda metal act differently?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Gary, like I said before if Honda would just put a sticker on the gas tank we would not have to worry about warranty work. All the sticker would have to say is if this bike is drove or tied down or set on the warranty is void. Boy that would solve all Honda's problems

·
Registered
38 Posts
BlueWing said:
Gary, like I said before if Honda would just put a sticker on the gas tank we would not have to worry about warranty work. All the sticker would have to say is if this bike is drove or tied down or set on the warranty is void. Boy that would solve all Honda's problems
And cut honda's sales in half.
Good Point BlueWing.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Frames

BlueWing,

More problems would be solved if people would read the Owners Manual. DUH!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Gladiator said:
"they're just cracked, they did't break." That like saying that the guy is not dead he just stopped breathing. What do you suspect will happen to a crack, that it will some how close up and go away. Or that it will eventually get bigger and finally fracture. That is usually the nature of cracks in metal. Does Honda metal act differently?
Good One
Heal Frame Heal
Cast down those evil cracks...

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Sticker! Sticker! Did someone say sticker? I have an unused OH/Parade Mode sticker. I am gonna sell it in 20 years to someone that is restoring a GL1800. :lol:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Frames

Gladiator,

I was just trying to be accurate since everything I say is "suspect." Now, you want to change the meaning of the words "crack" and "break" to mean the same thing, is that right?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts