GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D well its finely on the road and working flawlessly
first test runs I set the boost at 4psi, you want to know how it goes HOLYYYYYYYYYYY SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT :shock: should about cover it
can't weight to see 7psi
exhaust temp at the turbo maxed out at 475' and the temperature in the turbo compartment never went over 110' so for those of you
who thought the plastic would melt off the back of the bike this seems to be a non issue
as for handling you can't even tell there is an extra 25 lbs on the bike
as for sound, when you go into boost there is most definitely the sound of the turbo spooling up behind you
over the week end I will keep testing while bringing the boost up to 7psi were I think it will be maxed for reliability
under normal driving with no boost on the gage the bike feels very much like it did stock however the throttle response seems
a little stronger (kind of like you would expect if you took a four cylinder engine and replaced it with a V8) but when you role
on the throttle it just accelerates smooth and faster and faster as long as your on it, it keeps pushing you back in
the seat, just like the V8 would in a little car

I will try to get it on the dyno for tuning some time in the next two weeks or so, but as far as I can tell at this moment what ever the hp numbers come in at sure don't mater one bit cause holy crap this thing hauls butt!!!! :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
GMP Tech,

Do you have any pictures of the installation?

·
Registered
884 Posts
GMP Tech,
Let us know how it affects fuel mileage with a "controlled" right hand and without! That is, if you are ever able to control your right hand. :lol:
Thanks,
Ralph Wenzl

·
Registered
464 Posts
Mileage with and without it???? There is a speed shop near here and a big sign as you enter:

Speed = Money
How fast do you want to go?

I

·
0 Posts
GMP tech. said:
first test runs I set the boost at 4psi, you want to know how it goes HOLYYYYYYYYYYY SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT :shock: should about cover it
can't weight to see 7psi
exhaust temp at the turbo maxed out at 475' and the temperature in the turbo compartment never went over 110' so for those of you
who thought the plastic would melt off the back of the bike this seems to be a non issue
as for sound, when you go into boost there is most definitely the sound of the turbo spooling up behind you
over the week end I will keep testing while bringing the boost up to 7psi were I think it will be maxed for reliability
under normal driving with no boost on the gage the bike feels very much like it did stock however the throttle response seems
a little stronger (kind of like you would expect if you took a four cylinder engine and replaced it with a V8) but when you role
on the throttle it just accelerates smooth and faster and faster as long as your on it, it keeps pushing you back in

I will try to get it on the dyno for tuning some time in the next two weeks or so, but as far as I can tell at this moment what ever the hp numbers come in at sure don't mater one bit cause holy crap this thing hauls but!!!! :D
Did you put away a little extra money for engine, tranny, or rear drive repairs when they blow up after being overstressed?

By the way, the term is BUTT, (not BUT) meaning hauls ARSE. :lol:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did just over 200 miles on Saturday, mostly highway as that's what this project is all about, in one direction I crused mostly over 70 pmh, on the way back I cruised at 60 mph + or -. I pushed it in all the same places as I would have any other day, I found the mid-range power to come on smooth yet only when needed, from 60 mph to almost burying the speedo is only a few seconds. So far I have only seen a max of 5psi on the boost gauge and the highest exhaust temp at the turbo reaching 800 degrees, at cruise it's around 400. The turbo compartment never went over 110 degrees, water temperature stayed normal the hole time.

even before it's tuned I got 39 mpg US on the first trip. I'm sure once I get it tuned I will see over 40 mpg even with my style of driving.

For pictures send me an e-mail to [email protected]

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you put away a little extra money for engine, tranny, or rear drive repairs when they blow up after being overstressed?

You make me laugh, :lol: you want to know the definition of over stressed really is !!
Two extremely heavy people towing a heavy trailer = steady constant stressing on all parts
add a trike package to that formula and its even worse, of cores we all know this is totaly acceptable
and the wing totally ignores all that weight and keeps on ticking with out missing a beat.
if you haven't seen this you will be surprised , YouTube - Japanese Tow Trucks
and these are stock bikes other then the towing package,
what you might want to keep in mind is, we have a car engine in our bike which is way over built
in the first place, that's why they run for ever now. this is not a race bike going to the 1/4 mile every
weekend where you brake things, just because you have extra power doesn't mean your running the
crap out of it every where you go, if you did then you would brake any wing turbo or no turbo.
millions of cars are made with turbos and they run as long as a non turboed car, don't forget
many of those cars have the same size engines as the wing but there pulling 3000 lbs
if you do the math on stress then you may find a simple thing like a wheelie is one of the worst
drive train stresses you can imagine and yet this goes on without any ill affects
also I have spoken to Honda tech experts who assure me this engine and drive train will handle 10 psi with no problems, we only want 5 to 7 psi

just my opinion :wink:

·
Registered
19,316 Posts
wow
keep us informed
I myself am not interested in a turbo
but respect those who can push the envelope

·
Registered
600 Posts
I would be interested if for no other reason than for the higher mpg.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Excellent, those seem like VERY low exhaust temps. How's is the O2 readings? I would think you have a wide band right?
We're pushing over 550 HP from our 1000 cc snowmobiles with big boost. Seeing 1800 degrees in 500 foot drag race. They idle around 8-900 deg. I would think the gold wing would take big boost fairly easy with enough octane. May need heavier springs in the clutch to keep slipping down. I would like nothing better than to pull up to a crotch rocket @ 80 or so MPH and roll on the throttle and loft the front end of the heavy wing and ride away on the back wheel with a passenger on.

·
Registered
364 Posts
GMP tech. said:

You make me laugh, :lol: you want to know the definition of over stressed really is !!
Two extremely heavy people towing a heavy trailer = steady constant stressing on all parts
add a trike package to that formula and its even worse, of cores we all know this is totaly acceptable
and the wing totally ignores all that weight and keeps on ticking with out missing a beat.
if you haven't seen this you will be surprised , YouTube - Japanese Tow Trucks
and these are stock bikes other then the towing package,
what you might want to keep in mind is, we have a car engine in our bike which is way over built
in the first place, that's why they run for ever now. this is not a race bike going to the 1/4 mile every
weekend where you brake things, just because you have extra power doesn't mean your running the
crap out of it every where you go, if you did then you would brake any wing turbo or no turbo.
millions of cars are made with turbos and they run as long as a non turboed car, don't forget
many of those cars have the same size engines as the wing but there pulling 3000 lbs
if you do the math on stress then you may find a simple thing like a wheelie is one of the worst
drive train stresses you can imagine and yet this goes on without any ill affects
also I have spoken to Honda tech experts who assure me this engine and drive train will handle 10 psi with no problems, we only want 5 to 7 psi

just my opinion :wink:
I'm in Kelowna and I do believe I'll take a cruise on down to see this beasty. Sounds like your work is paying off. Overbuilt is indeed the right word. Simple, robust, meaty, 2 valve motor will last a long time, even with a bit atmospheric multiple shoved down it's throat. Good on ya.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
KnappAttack said:
Excellent, those seem like VERY low exhaust temps. How's is the O2 readings? I would think you have a wide band right?
We're pushing over 550 HP from our 1000 cc snowmobiles with big boost. Seeing 1800 degrees in 500 foot drag race. They idle around 8-900 deg. I would think the gold wing would take big boost fairly easy with enough octane. May need heavier springs in the clutch to keep slipping down. I would like nothing better than to pull up to a crotch rocket @ 80 or so MPH and roll on the throttle and loft the front end of the heavy wing and ride away on the back wheel with apassenger on. I'm sure this can be arranged :D

I believe the low exhaust temp is do to the turbo being mounted in the rear and that temp is at the turbo
I don't have a wide band O2 and wont know what the readings are till I get it on the dyno

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
I will host your pics for you. Sent you an e-mail.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm in Kelowna and I do believe I'll take a cruise on down to see this beasty. Sounds like your work is paying off. Overbuilt is indeed the right word. Simple, robust, meaty, 2 valve motor will last a long time, even with a bit atmospheric multiple shoved down it's throat. Good on ya.

Hey come on down I'm looking forward to it and let me know when so I can meet up with you along the way...maybe in Hope, depending on the day :D
Cheers

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
IBTrike said:
GMP tech. said:
can't weight to see 7psi

I will try to get it on the dyno for tuning some time in the next two weeks or so, but as far as I can tell at this moment what ever the hp numbers come in at sure don't mater one bit cause holy crap this thing hauls but!!!! :D

By the way, the term is BUTT, (not BUT) meaning hauls ARSE. :lol:
IB TRIKE: Perhaps when you are back at D.Q. you can ponder what Hauling Ass is.

Congratulations, I too am likely to ride down from Kelowna to peruse your work.
Pearlblue

1 - 20 of 114 Posts