GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wanted your opinion on these bikes. I have been riding sportbikes for a few years now and am ready for some touring action with the girlfriend. I test rode an 05 K1200LT and was not impressed. I felt like I was riding a giant scooter, although it was cush at Highway speeds. How do these two bikes compare, pros and cons? I am absolutely in love with the Goldwing but coming from a sportbike backround im not sure if I should step up to the GW or over to an FJR1300 or ST1300. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
488 Posts
I stepped up to the Wing from a little ol' ZX-12R and love the Wing. I kept my 12 too. I ride the Wing to work daily. I can carry my briefcase, lunch/snacks, etc. I demo'd a '02 K1200LT and didn't like the lack of power/torque or its price tag. The Wing handles pretty good and has decent power/torque.

·
Registered
931 Posts
You can do a search and fine details as this topic surfaces every 3-4months.

For me, the easiest way to do the comparo is ride both with your passenger. They are both great long distance comfort bikes. After the ride, you will know which one to keep.

The biggest downside to the LT is service cost if you do not do your own work. Example: BMW needs every 12k mile a valve check and shim change. Can run $1000. The Wing needs the valves checked at 32K and they are most likely ok and not extra charge for the shim changes most of the time.

It is also harder to find a BMW dealer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had an 05 FJR1300 and then stepped way up to the Gl1800 as far as touring is concerned. Yes the FJR is faster and handles the twistees a little better but for real long distance touring you can't beat the wing. I sat on the beemer and it was way too tall for me and the price was much higher and their service has a lot to be desired. Go with the wing you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Gthe wing

I too thought that I would like the ST 1300. It only took about 2 months and 1 200 mile trip. I have been enjoying my 06 Wing since July 16th. I have not regreted the move once. No comparison.

·
Registered
634 Posts
but coming from a sportbike backround im not sure if I should step up to the GW or over to an FJR1300 or ST1300. [/quote]

Don't know about the . . . up to . . . . or . . . over to . . . . it could be debated that all three are . . . up to . . . :lol:

We don't know your physical condition.

If you are physically ready for max comfort, . . . I would suggestion the Wing over the BMW.

If you have a "bit" left . . . Why not try the FJR?

Been hearing a lot of good things about it.

Always time for the Wing later, . . . if you are lucky.

Good luck with your decision, Mr. isloc!!!! :D

·
Registered
979 Posts
:D I would have to agree with Bob K I have an 05 Fjr and the Wing the FJR is a sweet ride but not exactly a cross country touring machine as far as wind protection and comfort go. It all depends on what you personal tastes are as well as ridding style. If i had to pick the best mile eater for comfort and performance all wraped up in one package i would go for the wing. Dont get me wrong the FJR is a great machine its faster then the wing handles better as well but its not even in the same ballpark as far as a long distance hauler. JMO :D As far as the 1200 LT nice bike but top heavy and expensive to maintain.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Well I am not sure how to answer your post because ISTM you don't know which way you want to go ? You say your don't like the LT, you are in love with the Wing BUT maybe you need a FJR or ST. Guess you have sort of answered your own :?:

I have had both the BMW LT and BMW R1150RT, and ST1100. As far as the BMW LT goes it was a nightmare for me. I bought it new in 2001 and it had one problem after another. Mostly electronic's it failed me 3x and I had to trailer it in. Finally to get away from it I traded for the R1150RT and it was a great bike. It went out of warranty in Aug and I went over to purchase a ext warr. from BMW. They don't offer one as a company and my BMW dealer told me they didn't work well with the aftermarket people on ext warr. Since they were going to be the ones to work on it that looked like a loosing deal going in to me. It still had what I felt like was a high number of problems however it didn't leave me on the side of the road like the LT. It was costing me $100 a 1000 miles to own but this included tires and the BMW factory service they recommend. Then there is the issue of the dealer network or lack of. There are states where BMW does not have a dealer. The next dealer maybe a state or two away :!:

No I can't in good faith recommend BMW motorcycles to anyone. I will say this, most of the dealers they have seem to be good. I rode them from 1983 to 2006 but they have finally sucessfully ran me off. If you think Honda's and the GoldWing have problems plug into one of their internet forms and read some of the threads ! Problem after problem and I am not talking about a heat gauge that goes over center on a hot day. How about rear end failures left and right, ABS pumps going out to the tune of $2200.00 + labor to repair etc. Ain't pretty boys and girls but don't take my word for it go look up some of their internet sites and look at their dealer network.

So now I got a 06 GL with the factory GPS (which is not perfect but I would buy it again) and it puts all the Honda dealers on the GPS screen in the area I am traveling. Most of the time if I scan out to a 50 mile or less radius I see 4 dealers. I just grin and keep on riding.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Because you are the one that is going to be riding and paying for the bike as well as the maintenance of it, I suggest that you rent them.

Find a place that rents bikes and take one for a weekend. The next weekend you can try a different bike. :? Etc., etc., etc.

When you decide which one you enjoy riding the most you then consider maintenance costs and service locations (not to forget independent shops).

I considered the BMW and decided on the GW for the reasons that were most important to me. You might choose differently :shock: ; or maybe not. :D

G

·
0 Posts
Mongo said:
You can do a search and fine details as this topic surfaces every 3-4months.

For me, the easiest way to do the comparo is ride both with your passenger. They are both great long distance comfort bikes. After the ride, you will know which one to keep.

The biggest downside to the LT is service cost if you do not do your own work. Example: BMW needs every 12k mile a valve check and shim change. Can run $1000. The Wing needs the valves checked at 32K and they are most likely ok and not extra charge for the shim changes most of the time.

It is also harder to find a BMW dealer.
The BMW doesnt really need the valves checked every 12K,
just like the wing doesnt need them checked at 32K

·
Registered
19,323 Posts
The BMW would be my second choice. Expect more $$$ for maintainence. They are BOTH fine bikes.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I test rode the BMW LT before buying my 05 Wing. The thing that made the BMW a non-starter was the complete lack of torque at low engine speed. I have to rev it up and really feather the clutch to get that thing off the line. I was a MSF/CMSP instructor so it was not a matter of not knowing how to properly use the clutch. Riding that bike in San Francisco would be a living nightmare! :shock:

Once you got the LT going, it was a real hoot to rocket through the twisties because the center of gravity was up high, making it really easy to swap from left-right-left-right-etc. On the other hand, that high center of gravity made parking lot maneuvers really tough.

I know I made the right choice with my Wing. Ride on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you want to ride two up, the Goldwing is your only choice. Most bikes are designed for rider only, not for a passenger and traveling several hundred miles a day. As suggested, rent one. The problem may be no FJR for rent. The answer,keep the sport bike and get the wing.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
If you're interest really is in the sporty end of touring, I can recommend the ST1300, having ridden one for three seasons. It's not quite as light or quick as the FJR1300, but it is a real gentleman, and handles very well. It's a baby Gold Wing, but with more snap. As for the passenger, it's a mixed bag, and I feel that having had small passengers and more "normal" sized passengers, I'd have to say the smaller passengers fit the ST well, but larger sized ones are less comfortable. The ST, though, is a wonderfully smooth, comfortable, long distance mile burner, deluxe. For me, it was always a delight to ride for any distance.

That being said, if 2-up touring is your main interest, the GL1800 is the logical choice. Nothing can compare with a Wing for touring comfort, power, handling and overall ease of maintenance. It's a big sportbike with luggage. I, too, have tried the LT and was disappointed for all the reasons mentioned above. I have returned to the Wing because my wife has desired to ride as a passenger from time to time, again, when her back and arthritis leave her feeling that she's not up to riding herself, and because we wanted to pull a camper trailer, and I felt that the ST, while it certainly has the power, just isn't the kind of bike to tow a trailer.

Rent an FJR, an ST, the LT, and the Wing, compare, and decide which one speaks to you the most and go for that.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Something that I forgot to mention: fuel requirements.

The LT requires premium fuel. :(
The GW uses regular fuel. :D

I let my Lt. with the LT fuel up before me, then I get the premium that he left in the hose! :lol:

He admitted that he looks for gas stations that have the separate hoses for the different grades of fuel. :D

It's a small thing, but something to consider. I can roll into a gas station and find that they don't have regular gas for whatever reason and be content with what they have left.

If you roll in and find out that they can't dispense premium fuel... you might be grumbling.

PS
When you do the rentals, remember, you have to take your SO along on those long, long rides. :D

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Before we sold it, my wife had an '04 R1140RT, which, like the LT, takes premium fuel, however if required, it would run just fine on regular. The ST1300, on the other hand, takes premium, and is very unhappy on anything else. The Gold Wing will run on anything, but premium should only be used if nothing else is available. You get nothing in return for the extra $$$$ you pay for premium, with the Wing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I ride an LT. I love my LT. I come from a Wing/Valk backround. At 6' and 34" inseam, I have no problem with low speed handling. Having said that, I wouldn't own an LT if I didn't do my own work. As many have stated, maintenance costs at the dealer are very expensive and there aren't many of them compared to Honda. If I didn't ride the LT, I'd be riding an 1800 Wing w/ABS(Fast Black of course). The LT speaks to me. Test ride them all and pick the one that speaks to you!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Howdy, I am a long time BMW rider/owner going back to 1973. I've been an LT owner since May 3, 2000. I sold my last LT ('05) in June of this year. On August 18, 2006 I purchased a new Gold Wing w/audio/comfort/nav/abs. You'll not get a very objective opinion on a Gold Wing on this board nor an objective opinion on the LT over at www.bmwlt.com For two up riding you will not make a mistake with either one. Anything less for extensive two up riding you, and mainly your passenger will be disappointed.
Briefly, the LT excels in braking performance, front suspension compliance, curvey road handling due to higher center of gravity (being taller), electrically adjustable windshield, on board trip computer, electric/hydralic centerstand (05's and above), superior fuel mileage (will run just fine on regular/plus or premium). The Gold Wing, on the other hand excels in mo motor (torque) both are equal horsepower @ 118 (05's and above) :D , multiple accessory vendors, larger dealer network, more inclusive factory warranty, extended factory warranty which in turn helps to keep the resale value of the Gold Wing higher than the LT, less maintenance intensive (LT's are easy to work on for DIY'ers), superior headlight.

There's more, but those are some of the more important distinctions between the two. If possible, ride a comparably equipped LT and Gold Wing *with* your passenger and make a mutual decision that makes you both happy!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Guess I'd better jump in here too. I had a 03 Wing for two years and really enjoyed it. One thing that bothered me was the corning clearance was not all that good, LT is better. Also he LT feels 2 feet shorter.

The LT IS top heavy with a passenger and a full tank of gas at low speeds. . (so is the ST1300)

Observed City/Hwy fuel average:
Wing 5.5 L/100km
LT 4.5 L/100km

My conclusion is no bike is close to perfect. Hence I use my Bandit for town and more spirited rides keeping the LT for mostly the highway.

Would I buy another wing, yes but only if Honda gives it a major update ie puts it on a diet, adds atleast one more gear and gives us some really nice stuff you now can get in even a common Honda Civic like real vtec, trip compute etc. (how abt a turbo ? :) )

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Bruce,
your comments are all valid from all the reports I have read, except the one re the headlight. Even with the latest upgrade, I understood the BMW light still falls short of the GL's.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts