GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
"Sport Riders Touring Bike vs Two up Luxury Tourer".............kinda sums it up:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
That's a very fair review.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Again? :(

Comparing apples and t-bone steaks. A fair comparison would be an ST1300 or Conc14 vs. the BMW.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
The connie and the change saved for me...now if i could just talk the bride into that!!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
very fair review.

I would like them to compare equally equiped bikes:
- abs, gps etc...what are the differences in features & prices....

then do a maintenance cost comparo (as per the manual with dealer prices)

·
Registered
546 Posts

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
The more I read about it the more I get the impression that the GTL is a great long distance touring bike for a one-up rider. However, if you plan to carry a passenger for any length and pull a trailer, the Wing is still a better choice.

I think the frustrating part is, the things I really like about the GTL could easily be added to the Wing without changing the underlying package:

Better/upgraded electronics
Better controls
Electric windscreen
Better GPS integration
Bluetooth

And of course, a trunk that matches the saddlebags.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
They didn't mention the relibility of the Wing vs the clutch, rear end and lack of dealers. We only have 1 in the state and it's new (no history).

·
Registered
546 Posts
They didn't mention the relibility of the Wing vs the clutch, rear end and lack of dealers. We only have 1 in the state and it's new (no history).
Actually, they did mention the relative difference in the size of the dealer networks:

" Honda’s dealer network also eclipses that of BMW, which could save a lot time and headache in case of a roadside breakdown."

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Well, actually the article did say: "Honda’s dealer network also eclipses that of BMW, which could save a lot time and headache in case of a roadside breakdown." . . . although I think the comparison description could have more accurately read: "vastly outnumber that of BMW"

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I thought it was a reasonable comparo. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
The next issue of Motorcycle Consumer News (MCN) (Sept?) is going to have a comparo of BMW 1600 vs GL1800. Should be interesting.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Well, actually the article did say: "Honda’s dealer network also eclipses that of BMW, which could save a lot time and headache in case of a roadside breakdown." . . . although I think the comparison description could have more accurately read: "vastly outnumber that of BMW"

The size of the dealer network is comforting, although of course the GoldWing service knowledge is not nearly so widely spread.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have ridden both.......to me there is no comparrison. The BMW felt like an oversized crotch rocket with bags,and was very sensitive to wind from any direction. I could not get use to the tranny and was constantly looking at the gear shift indicator to tell what gear I was in. It did not matter if I was in second or sixth gear I honestly had to look at the indicator. The shifiting up or down the throttle response the sensitivity of the wind the power was completely different than the Goldwing. I loved the gadgets and the feel of the cockpit...but I did not like the rear end and the side bags,it just didnt flow like the other half of the bike. That being said I chose the 2012 Goldwing.........it was just simple and felt luxurious. The shifting was consistent the throttle response felt the same in any gear,and not quiet as sensitive to the cross winds. I like the flow of the bike bettter as far as looks was concerned.But remember one is a BMW and the other is a Honda they should be different.....I would add it to my collection if I could..its all about what you like. I love my Harley Davidson Streetglide...........like I said its different just like opionins are.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts