GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this thing used bout 6-7 months ago and now cant find the owners manuel. I am used to letting all my vehicles warm up a little until the needle rises a bit. Is this recommended for the 01 wing by honda? A friend told me just crank and go but I have a hard time buying that. The lifters gotta get oiled and get oil up first right? Or wrong?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
the 1800 is fuel injected and has shim and bucket lifters....no warm up needed...but your choice :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Warm-up

That what a friend told me. Guess he was credible. Thanks GaryG I will try not to worry about it then.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Just like any hunk of metal - it changes sizes while getting hot.
Letting it idle will warm up the pistons and valves, but won't do
a thing for the drive line and rear end. Why not just start it up,
check for oil pressure, and start down the road for a mile or two
before giving into the urge to really crank on the grip? That way
the whole machine warms up together. And the parts all fit.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Over 30 years of driving and I've never let an engine warm up by idling. Just start it and drive easy for a bit. It will warm up faster on the road than in your driveway. And yes many of my vehicles were high mileage(over 100,000).

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Maybe my Goldwing doesn't need a little warmup from a cold start, but I do and "I" feel better about driving my Wing on a good drive by doing it that way. If it doen't matter, then no harm no foul and all it's cost me is a little time and a little fuel.

BUT if it does matter then I'm a winner both ways since I still feel good because I've warmed my engine a little and my engine is better off because I've done it.

To each his own, mine gets warmed up,

DaleC

·
Registered
469 Posts
Warm up

I let my 01 idle till it reaches 1,000 rpm before i ever put it in gear, & have done that since th bike was new. I never push th starter button until th bird on th dash is fully formed, i'm thinkin this gives th ECM time ta git sorted out. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine gets warmed up. I light a smoke, start the bike, finish the smoke and ride like hell. While it's warming up it gives me time to think about where I want to go.

Technically, it doesn't need anymore warm up than what time is necessary to come down from a high cold idle.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
I let mine run long enough for the idle to start coming down, then ride gentle until I get to the highway (2 blocks).

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Phill3, hate to disagree with you, but all you do is waste gas having a modern engine warm up. They are manufactured with such close tolerances that warm up is not necessary and not even desireable. I would be careful about cranking it up to the redline until the oil has warmed some, but just starting the engine and moving off with a normal acceleration will not hurt the engine in any way. Just make sure you've got the right weight oil in the bike, start it and go!

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
When mine was new,I followed the dealer's intstructions and waited until the engine was warmed up completely before putting it in gear.
After about 8000 miles,and some previous discussions on this board, I decided that only enough time to get the oil circulating is really necessary,and that happens almost instantly.

Now,I usually put on all my riding gear except helmet and gloves,then I will start the engine and let it warm during the couple minutes it takes me to put those on. It's about two blocks to the freeway,and away I go.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Whether it needs it or not!!!

I always warm up any of my vehicles for 10 seconds....whether they need it or not! I was told to do so by a mechanic in Germany while I was there in the Army. I got the most...and best...mileage out of the engine he was taking care of, so who am I to argue??!!

·
Registered
16,851 Posts
First off, my GL1800 warms-up very quickly. It is at operating temp within a mile of start-up. although I generally warm-up diesel equipment by operating it gently and under lignht loads until up to temp, I just start and run my gas engines. With the wing I generally start 'er up and then put on my helmet and glove - then go. Good thing about premium quality synthetic oil, you have the confidence of knowing its already got all the parts coated at start-up!

prs

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
I generally try to shut my bike down for a full 12 hours about twice a year so it can thoroughly cool off (Christmas and Thanksgiving day).

Afterwards, I let it idle for about 6 seconds before hitting the road again for the next 6 months.

I find it helps the rings and valves to seat if you let it actually cool off every now and again. It also gives the wife a chance to see me around the house for a while.

(*Your mileage may vary)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
One of my biggest challenges with my son and his bike has been this topic.
I tell him to start his bike, SV650S which is also FI, first and then gear up. This makes sence to me. The time spent is the same as if you didn't warm the engine. I have always felt that cold thick oil can't penetrate to the wear points. I do this with the Wing also.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts