GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just started it will crank when you are in neutral but not in gear. I have replaced the clutch bushing and the micro switch. This is a 2003 motor trike and been trike for 5 years. Any help or suggestion would greatly helpful

·
Registered
892 Posts
There are actually 2 bushings on the clutch lever. One is used to push in on the switch on the backside of the lever. The other one is where the bolt goes through to hold clutch lever on. That second on can get ovaled out and cause the problems you are having. Try wiggling the clutc lever a bit while you have it pulled in and see if it will start in gear then. To change that bushing out, you have to press it out and then press in a new one. There is a kit to replace that bushing and it runs about $25. Wingstuff sells it but it's out of stock now

A new lever will run you about $35. If it was me, I would consider replacing the clutch lever for an additional $10

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Grehornet, I would isolate the problem before purchasing parts. Don't just through parts at it until something corrects the problem....!!

1. Verify you replaced the correct micro switch.

2. Verify the switch functions correct.

3. Verify if the clutch lever is depressing the plunger pin on the micro switch (when pulled to the hand grip).

3. Then verify if the "brass bushing" is in good condition (or not).

4. Then check the clutch handle mounting for excessive looseness or such.

When you pull the clutch lever to the hand grip, lift up slightly, will the starter crank....?? .

·
Registered
214 Posts
Put the bike of the center stand and WD40 the side kick stand switch. Work it up and down a few times. Then put back in gear and pull the clutch lever back in and try to start it. This has happened to me a couple of times and each time that was my problem. Dirt and grime will get in and around the kick stand switch.

·
GL1800 Doctor
19,347 Posts
Grehornet, I would isolate the problem before purchasing parts. Don't just through parts at it until something corrects the problem....!!

1. Verify you replaced the correct micro switch.

2. Verify the switch functions correct.

3. Verify if the clutch lever is depressing the plunger pin on the micro switch (when pulled to the hand grip).

3. Then verify if the "brass bushing" is in good condition (or not).

4. Then check the clutch handle mounting for excessive looseness or such.

When you pull the clutch lever to the hand grip, lift up slightly, will the starter crank....?? .
I agree, confirm you have the correct switch, then unplug the wires and short them together and try it again. Make sure you pull in the lever and see if it will start. If it does, then you have a switch/bushing/mechanical issue. If it still doesn’t crank, then you have an issue with the ground coming from the sidestand switch when it’s up. If this turns out to be the case, I can help you troubleshoot the circuit.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Great tips. I know mine (2001) also doesn't start in gear last year. I took one of the clutch lever switches apart and verified that it worked when it "clicked" and the lever pivot seems to have no play in it. I will have to follow up this spring when I can get it out and check these other items on the list and the sidestand circuit.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Great tips. I know mine (2001) also doesn't start in gear last year. I took one of the clutch lever switches apart and verified that it worked when it "clicked" and the lever pivot seems to have no play in it. I will have to follow up this spring when I can get it out and check these other items on the list and the sidestand circuit.
In the switch cluster there are two switches, one to disengage the cruise and one to notify the ECU that the clutch has been engaged. May be you tested the cruise control switch? I have found that if I hit the switch cluster with a little electrical cleaner it will get it working temporarily. For me, this has been a good test to tell if the switches are the problem.

Also, the wire connectors on the back of the switches become loose and pull out or do not make good contact. Something else to check before starting down the road of parts replacement.

And if you have replaced the clutch lever with an aftermarket lever, these have been known to cause problems with switch engagement.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Put the bike of the center stand and WD40 the side kick stand switch. Work it up and down a few times. Then put back in gear and pull the clutch lever back in and try to start it. This has happened to me a couple of times and each time that was my problem. Dirt and grime will get in and around the kick stand switch.
OP states it's a trike...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree, confirm you have the correct switch, then unplug the wires and short them together and try it again. Make sure you pull in the lever and see if it will start. If it does, then you have a switch/bushing/mechanical issue. If it still doesn’t crank, then you have an issue with the ground coming from the sidestand switch when it’s up. If this turns out to be the case, I can help you troubleshoot the circuit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input. I have a 2003 Gl1800 with a motor trike kit . The kit was installed 5 years ago and the problem just started. I have replace the clutch bushing

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
grehornet, When you pull the clutch lever to the hand grip do you hear two (2) clicks...??

1. A click right away which is the cruise cancel switch.

2. A click as the lever gets to the hand grip which is "ground' for starting in gear.

If you don't hear the second click, investigate why the clutch lever is not depressing the plunger pin on the micro switch.

·
GL1800 Doctor
19,347 Posts
E
Thanks for the input. I have a 2003 Gl1800 with a motor trike kit . The kit was installed 5 years ago and the problem just started. I have replace the clutch bushing
Even if it’s been triked, the ground has to come from the sidestand circuit. Whether they left the sidestand switch there or not during the conversion has no bearing since it will drive down the road. If the ground was completely missing the ECM would think the sidestand is down and kill the motor, so the ground is present in the circuit running to the ECM. A continuity check to ground from both wires at the lever switch will confirm whether the ground is making it to the switch and through it with the lever squeezed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
E

Even if it’s been triked, the ground has to come from the sidestand circuit. Whether they left the sidestand switch there or not during the conversion has no bearing since it will drive down the road. If the ground was completely missing the ECM would think the sidestand is down and kill the motor, so the ground is present in the circuit running to the ECM. A continuity check to ground from both wires at the lever switch will confirm whether the ground is making it to the switch and through it with the lever squeezed.
After replacing the bushing and the micro switch and with help from everyone on the forum. Thanks for everyone input. I replace the clutch level. It work like a charm now. I looked at the handle and it was worn down where it makes contact with the micro switch. But when I putting the new lever back on . I could tell that the bushing was worn also. Lesson learned

·
Registered
892 Posts
After replacing the bushing and the micro switch and with help from everyone on the forum. Thanks for everyone input. I replace the clutch level. It work like a charm now. I looked at the handle and it was worn down where it makes contact with the micro switch. But when I putting the new lever back on . I could tell that the bushing was worn also. Lesson learned
FWIW, I think you made a good decision on replacing the lever instead of trying to replace that bushing. I have been having issues with my clutch lever as well and decided to try the bushing kit. I was able to knock the old bushing out and the new, kit supplied bushing installed but it was hard keeping that adjustment mechanism in and lined up while installing the bushing. Once I finally drove the new bushing in, the adjustment part was binding real bad. I was finally able to get it loosened a bit bit. Upon reinstalling the lever and tightening the screw and nut, the adjustment part was binding again. In theory, a bushing replacement is cheaper and a great idea but I think it may be too easy to crush the lever causing the binding. In defense of the kit, maybe I did something wrong as I am not a trained mechanic so it's possible if you do this regularly, it may work out better. I broke down and ended up buying a new lever as well. Supposed to arrive today and will install it right away.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts