GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike blown over on right side during storm now it won't start.
starter working,
replaced spark plugs, right side were wet
fuel pump relay and pump is working.
I have spark at the spark plugs
Had battery charged, turning starter over good
checked air filter, good
no faults indicted
Thanks

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Let me ask a dumb question because I've done it before. Did you bump the kill switch by mistake?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Just a hunch, I would look for the ignition connector under the shelter, the inertia from the fall could have dislodged it, especially if during previous work it was never seated completely.

Gonna be something simple like that, could be the tilt switch, most likely not, could be though.

You can jump across that to see.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Does the Wing have an Electronic Fuel shut off/Ignition disable switch that gets triggered automatically in the event of an accident? I know some cars have them to attempt to prevent fires in a crash.

Just a thought, someone with more Wing Knowledge than I have should know!!

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
angle switch checks ok, starter won't run with kill switch on. I got to thinking could I have water in gas? I got gas littler before this happern.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
What year bike ??

The BAS interrupts the ignition relay and will allow the starter to function but if the BAS is tripped then there will be no spark at the plugs.

The engine needs only compression, fuel and spark to run. My guess would be a plug somewhere has become disconnected in the fall over.

If you have spark at the plugs and they were wet then I would take from that there is fuel flowing. There would have to be major amounts of water in the gas to stop it from firing up, water in the gas would make it run rough but not stop it from running at all unless it was pretty much pure water.

I would go back and confirm spark at all 6 plugs and if you have a good blue spark then it has to be fuel related. Just because the fuel relay and pump is working dosen't mean the fuel is going anywhere. Test the fuel pressure IAW the manual to confirm fuel is getting to the rail and if that is good then check that the injectors are actually working.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Did you crank it over with the plugs out? If cylinders had to much fuel or oil could it hydraulic lock and slip a timing belt? Does this engine allow valve protection in case a belt timing issue failure?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Did you crank it over with the plugs out? If cylinders had to much fuel or oil could it hydraulic lock and slip a timing belt? Does this engine allow valve protection in case a belt timing issue failure?
No timing belt!! Two cam chains!! I haven't heard of one breaking, but I wouldn't want to be around if it did.:22yikes:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,603 Posts
This is a good puzzle. I wonder if he found the problem yet. The BAS is good or it wouldn't have any spark or fuel pump noises. The kill switch is good or it wouldn't even turn the starter motor. The ECM is alive to run the fuel pump. I wonder if he cranked it for 10 seconds on the sidestand in neutral to see if it would flash a code?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2007 goldwing. Shop said that I have 2 bent exhaust valves. Could have been caused by trying to start with water in cyc. I did run for less then a minute, then quit. Know more Tuesday.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I dunno........never been one to trust a shop. They like to sell too many mushrooms.

Could be I guess, depends on how hard the bike hit, inertia could have jumped a chain.

One thing for sure, if a chain jumped it would mess up the valves.

Just not sure how it could get off the teeth in a simple tip over. Maybe so if it really popped the ground. Not sure about that one though, have to hit hard.

Could be, might be.........dunno......and where did the water come from?? Common sense says if there was water in the gas, the bike would have acted up right after a fill up as it would not have been separated at that time and also with fuel injectors the bike will shut down before it can inject water into the chambers.

Just be cautious, get a second opinion. Easy enough to take the timing cover off and see ...........just sayin..........................

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
:agree::agree:

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Good Lord,
The bike is running perfect, the wind blows it over and now it's got two bent valves. Where did the water come from? Water in the cylinder would not bend valves.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Water in the cylinder could cause hydraulic lock, which might break a rod, but unless I am missing something I dont see how it could bend valves!

·
Registered
581 Posts
I wonder if the wind really blew it over, I thought I read on this forum that the wind could not blow over a wing :joke:
I don't know where he's from, but I lived in Texas for 10 years. Some of the winds there could blow a house over!!!!

I would think if there were bent valves or broken chain, you would hear some pretty severe metal to metal grinding or clanking??:shrug:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Had my bike tip to the side because the asphalt caved in below the kickstand. My brother tipped his to the side when he lost control of it backing up. Neither of us had problems restarting it when upright.

mike
09 cbc

1 - 20 of 40 Posts