GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, all

My Goldwing is a 2006 model (plain, no ABS). Dirty (needs a bath) but otherwise a happy-running bike. Yesterday I was out on it in the morning, running errands. Swung back to the house for something I'd forgotten. Got all geared back up and turned the 'wing back on. Everything lit up, and the bike started nicely.

No more than a few seconds later, the bike went to full OFF; no warning, just going off like I'd flipped a switch (which I hadn't; was just getting set to climb aboard). Haven't been able to get a sign of life since. Checked relays (although that wound up being a wrong path). Checked fuses. Checked the battery; still cranking out power. Checked that the clutch didn't seem to be stuck, on or off. Fiddled with the kickstand; up or down, still a dead 'wing. Starter switch not pushed in or out, and the little swivel starter thing still moves (although making no difference).

My Clymer manual doesn't seem to cover this (neither does the owner's manual) . There are a couple of vids on youtube, but they only cover the VTX; after the first step, they're not checking gl1800 stuff (at least that I can find. I did attempt a search first, but it seems a search of "gl1800 won't start" doesn't find any results.

Anyone ever experience this before? I'm ready and willing with tools and tester, but I'm not mechanic enough to just look at the bike and realize what's wrong. And I'd rather attempt a fix myself before hauling it down to the indie shop nearby, in case it happens again while I'm on a road trip.

Many thanks, folks.

Davey (now off to find out why I can't log in *GRRR*)

2006 Arrest-Me Red Goldwing ("Redwing")
2013 Crystal-Blue Road Glide ( "Blue Glide")
(My children like to name things ;)

·
IronMan
17,623 Posts
Sounds like battery took a dump. Ck main fuses . Can you try n jump it to see if it will fire .

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
By the "little swivel starter thing", do you mean the kill switch?

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Reactions: eddiepants

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Did you bump the reverse engage button on? Manually shift the gears nd make sure it's in Neutral.
When you urn the key on, do the dash lights come on?

Just like to check the easy things first.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
My 02 did that once, loose connection to a great battery but no real connection. Waiting to read more analysis of prior questions.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
22,054 Posts
My 02 did that once, loose connection to a great battery but no real connection. Waiting to read more analysis of prior questions.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I agree, battery connections would be the FIRST thing I would check. Make sure they are clean and tight.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Had a similar situation. Stopped at convenience store came out and everything lit for a second and radio played hit start and dead as a nail. No more power. Electric meter showed voltage at battery and main fuse. Turned out battery cable ring and battery block had corrosion on it where they attach. Couldn’t see it until I pulled the the cable off to replace battery. I just cleaned it up with nail file and soda and reattached. Haven’t had an issue since and it has been about a year. Let me know if that works.

·
Registered
109 Posts
:agree: might be corrosion on the back side of the battery cable terminals.
I just wrote that too. Had me stumped for about an hour at a gas station when I went in for a drink. My voltage meter showed power but was irregular in the readings. I pulled the battery to get a replacement and that is when I noticed the issue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like battery took a dump. Ck main fuses . Can you try n jump it to see if it will fire .
Well, I tried checking all the fuses (none seemed blown) and the battery (showed full power). Even if the battery was suddenly too wimpy to run the bike I'd've expected the lights and/or screens to show some sign of life.

Can't jump it right now 'cause the jump stuff is packed into the wife's cage (her own vehicon sometimes runs out of power).

Dj

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By the "little swivel starter thing", do you mean the kill switch?
My little-used manual says it's called the Engine Stop Switch. One of the VTX videos today had a Kill Switch (I assumed it was an add-in; does a GL1800 have a Kill Switch?

Dj

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you bump the reverse engage button on? Manually shift the gears nd make sure it's in Neutral.
When you urn the key on, do the dash lights come on?

Just like to check the easy things first.

Corventure Dave
Yeah; did the easy stuff first. Made sure neither Reverse Button no Starter Switch was engaged or anything. Shifted the gears around, left it in neutral. When I turn things on like I usually do, nothing happens; no lights, no signals, no cranking of engine. Yet fuses are un-popped and the battery seems to be as it should.

OTOH... Blue Glide is off the road for a tidge, but has a perfectly-good battery. I may pull it tomorrow and hook it up to Redwing (without, hopefully, blowing Redwing into low Earth orbit). Yeah...

Dj
DS 768
2003 (the manual indicates that it's older than I thought) Arrest-me Red "Redwing" Goldwing
2013 (this one I'm sure of) Crystal-blue "Blue Glide" Road Glide

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had a similar situation. Stopped at convenience store came out and everything lit for a second and radio played hit start and dead as a nail. No more power. Electric meter showed voltage at battery and main fuse. Turned out battery cable ring and battery block had corrosion on it where they attach. Couldn’t see it until I pulled the the cable off to replace battery. I just cleaned it up with nail file and soda and reattached. Haven’t had an issue since and it has been about a year. Let me know if that works.
This is certainly a good thing for me to try; I just checked the battery at its terminals. Didn't mess with the connection cables, other than to insure they were tightly-fastened to said terminals.

C'mon, sunrise

Dj
DS 768
2003 Arrest-me Red "Redwing" Goldwing
2013 Crystal-blue "Blue Glide" Road Glide

·
Registered
109 Posts
You must remove the cable terminal from the battery block and clean between them where they contact each other. I was getting a reading a voltage reading but a no start until I disconnected and cleaned.

This is certainly a good thing for me to try; I just checked the battery at its terminals. Didn't mess with the connection cables, other than to insure they were tightly-fastened to said terminals.

C'mon, sunrise

Dj
DS 768
2003 Arrest-me Red "Redwing" Goldwing
2013 Crystal-blue "Blue Glide" Road Glide

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
...fuses are un-popped and the battery seems to be as it should....
Perhaps take a closer look at the Main Fuse (lower left, 2nd from bottom), verifying that the mounting screws are tight. If so, then remove it and check conductivity across the fuse (to ensure not blown)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Have you checked the battery voltage while pressing the start button?

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
One of the other (many, many) possibilities, if everything checks with the battery (and that would be my first "guess"), is the connector for the ignition under the top shelter. Those connectors can eventually corrode and everything just shuts off and won't come back on. I know from experience. Fred H got me on track by suggesting I look at that connector. On my '04 I believe the connector is C21. Not sure about an '06.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts