GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions for tires since E3's are not available?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Put on a set of Avon Venom R's this morning. There are quite a few positive reports from guys on this board using them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ran a set of Venom R's on my 1500, and loved them.

I just put a set of ME880's on my 1800 (first new set from stock). My stock tires lasted 14K miles.

So far, the handling is about the same. Nothing to detract. I have no idea what longevity they will get.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just put Avon venom R on the wing last week. I put a 70 series on the rear. Love them. I have ran 5 sets of avons on my valk state and have had no problems. My speedo is now right on and odometer is about 1% in my favor. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
tires

Am I missing something? Does the ABS version of the GL1800 have demands of its tires that the non ABS does not?
Assuming the same requirements, here are my experiences from my non abs GL1800. My 03 came with Dunlops. I was generally happy with them - ride was very good, endurance very good (removed them at 15k with some tread left as was leaving for a major long distance ride), handling in dry very good, but in wet they were VERY UNPREDICTABLE. Replacement set was a set of Avon Venoms for the 1800. Overall very positive feedback from my experience. I had one worry though. Many others experienced a delaminating, particularly the early adopters. I researched others' experiences and recommendations and decided on a set of Bridgestones. Have over 7K on them now and very pleased. Seems to do it all. No noticeable cupping. Good comfort and ride. Good handling dry and wet. No wobble. I'm completely pleased.
Chip

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I must be missing something too chip, i did not see abs mentioned. someone may have deleted a post.

Back to the question on hand. I had run Avon for years on the x and when it came time to replace the wing i went that way. Am very happy with them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info on Avon. I guess the choice is between Avon and Bridgestone. How goes the debate between the two?

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
What part of Texas are you in.
I lost a rear tire in New Braunfels on Saturday. The Honda dealer there had E3s in stock.

·
Registered
238 Posts
As I had posted earlier, my bike was vibrating in the turns do to front tire cupping. The guys here suggested bridgestones, I had a set put on and the bike is back to as good or better then it ever was, thanks Boys. Greg

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
moh58 said:
What part of Texas are you in.
I lost a rear tire in New Braunfels on Saturday. The Honda dealer there had E3s in stock.
I'm in Robert Lee, 35 north of San Angelo.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I'm running Avon Venom R's with the 70 series on the rear. I had put a set of them on my VTX 1800 last year and really like them. They're sticky on wet or dry surfaces and really wear well so far. The 70 series on the rear sets my Wing up a hair higher, makes my speedometer almost perfectly accurate according to my GPS and should get me a little longer tire life as they go fewer revolutions per mile.

·
Registered
373 Posts
not trying....

Not trying to hijack this post, but - csherrill - you and i share a last name. And Sherrill isn't that common of a last name. I suppose if we compared family trees, we'd come to a common branch one place or another.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I replaced the OEM D250's @ 12,200 miles (they were definitely unpredictable in the rain and became very noisy after ~11,000 miles) with Metzeler ME880's and like them so far. Of course, it will be a long time before I can say how long they will last, but I am expecting at least 12,000 miles from them. The handling is much improved with the Metzelers, but that is to be expected as the OEM tires are not meant to be as good.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i've run the stones, dunlops and 880s. the stones lasted about 9k. i replaced them early as i was going on a 49-state run and needed fresh rubber. i reckon i could've gotten another 1-2k from the rear.

my first set of lops were flops. the rear was a slick at 9k and they always felt squirmy in wet conditions even when new. i was glad to get them off. btw, this was back in 02 when the lops first came out. i just replaced a second set of lops and these performed much better all the way around. still just a bit squirmy in wet conditions, but the wear was much improved at 12k miles. i'd try another set if i had to.

i've not tried the avons yet.

the 880s have performed extremely well for me in all conditions and in all categories. i've had 4 different sets. rears have lasted 16-18k. eventually, i'll try a set of avons, but i'm really pleased with the 880s. and even back in 02 on my other wing, i never experienced the low-speed wobble and i don't with the latest set on my 05. excellent tire.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Dive Master said:
I must be missing something too chip, i did not see abs mentioned. someone may have deleted a post.

Back to the question on hand. I had run Avon for years on the x and when it came time to replace the wing i went that way. Am very happy with them.
Actualloy the orignal question did/doees specifically ask about tires for the GL1800A. They all wear the same shoes. I like the Avons.

prs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts