GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to put together a “Biketoberfest” ride / picnic and would like comments or feedback from any and all who would like to make the ride. Day and time is to be determined, but the length of the ride will depend on how long we stay at the picnic area. The total distance is about 120 to 130 miles. Not too long.

On Lake George, there is a beautiful picnic area called “Silver Glen Springs.” If you like to snorkel or swim, this is an ideal spot. The water is crystal clear and there are thousands of fish both large and small (No Polecat, no fishing!). The water is 72 degrees all year around. I would highly suggest to bring a mask, snorkel and a bathing suit.

You can read more about the springs here: http://tfn.net/springs/SilverGlen.htm

My thought is to meet in Ormond Beach in the morning and have breakfast at a place to be determined. Suggestions for a meeting spot would be welcomed. We would head up US1 to SR20 and stop in Palatka at the local Publix to pick up whatever picnic “munchies” we want. Personally, I go for the fried chicken combo lunch or a good deli sandwich.

We then head down US19 to the springs. Hang out there until everyone is ready to leave. From there, down SR19 to SR40 back to Ormond Beach.

The ride will be a little boring. Not a lot of twisties like in East Tennessee, but the ride through the Ocala National Forest is nice and October riding in Florida is great.

Thoughts, suggestions or alternatives are welcomed. Either post here, PM, IM or email me.

Bartman

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sounds good Bartman!! I wish you had said something about this a little sooner, I have already made plans to go to Myrtle Beach Octoberfest. Oct. 4-8.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ol Pirate said:
Sounds good Bartman!! I wish you had said something about this a little sooner, I have already made plans to go to Myrtle Beach Octoberfest. Oct. 4-8.
Well that shouldn't prevent anything...Biketoberfest in Daytona is October 19-22. Come on down!

Bartman

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I would like to tag alone

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Snoppy said:
I would like to tag alone
Snoopy, do you want to go alone or along? :wink:

You are more than welcome to join the ride! More details will follow.

Bartman

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'd be interested. That is a great ride you have selected, if you take 316 west off of 19 you will go over a really long bridge that oversees the entire Ocala National Forest too. We love to ride out there.

Please put my name on your list.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Snoopy, Ben U and Drifter, I've added you to the list.

If someone can come up with a meeting place, that would be a great help since I'm not that familiar with the Ormond Beach area.

Also, input about a day and time would be appreciated. I'm thinking the morning of the 19th would be good and meeting about 9am, and starting the ride about 10am.

Bartman

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Several suggestions for meeting places and trying to keep you in the vicinity of US1 and SR 40 in Ormond:

1. Friendlys on SR 40 just west of US1.

2. The Sunrise Diner, Nova Road and Hand Avenue about 1 mile south of SR 40 on Nova raod. A smaller mom and pop place.

3. About two miles south of SR 40 on US1 in Holly Hill there used to be a Dennys but it changed hands. I don't know the new name but will post it as soon as I can.

If your are looking just for any meeting place, and not just eating establishments, let me know. There are plenty of them.

Good luck on the ride. I am not sure I can make it.

Roy

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mitymax1, you're added.

OK all, I think I found a good meeting place.

Cracker Barrel right off I-95, Exit 268.

Let's plan on meeting at 9am on Thursday, October 19th and we'll head out about 10am(ish). Here are a couple of maps to help you locate Cracker Barrel. Thanks Google!

Questions or comments, send me a PM, IM, email or post here.

Bartman

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
[quote="dtbmjax - aka Bartman]
[/quote]

Actually, you have a hotel circled and labeled Cracker Barrel. The Cracker Barrel is the building east/southeast on the service road that is south of the hotel. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I'd like to go. I am over near Ocala, so it takes me 2 hours to get there. I would prolly not make it for breakie, but could be there for take off at around 11:00 am.
Keep us posted on what is taking place.

Shadow1
Hal

·
Registered
244 Posts
Biktoberfest Ride

I'm interested also. Count me and my SO in. There is an interested shop at the intersection of 19 and 40. THey make huge animal figures, practically lifesize giraffes, water buffalo, etc. Might be worth a stop at the end.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
For those that don't know, Silver Glen charges to gain entrance to the State Park. I believe it is $3 each. Just so that you will know. Call and check and see if they have a pavillion you can rent. If so a fee may need to be collected to defray the expenses.

I would be interested in the picnic but would rather just to meet everyone there(SG). I live nearby and riding to OB is out of the question.

My wife and I would like to be included.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK Goblin, Shadow1 and Wingman57. I have all of you on the list.

Yep, the "park" entrance fee is $3. I don't think that will break anyone's budget. Be sure to bring a side-stand puck since the parking area is mostly sand and gravel (imagine that, sand in Florida!). I'm not sure we'll need a pavilion. I'd just as soon sit on the grass down by the water. If we each bring our own food, we really shouldn't need a pavilion. Good thought though.

Goblin, we'll plan on making that stop. I'd be interested in seeing that.

Unless there is an outcry on departure times, we'll plan on heading out around 10am from Cracker Barrel.

We're up to 8 bikes so far. Let's keep the momentum going!

Bartman

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Guess it's kinda late to move the location from boring ol' Florida to the great state of Missouri where Octoberfest includes October colored leaves and temperatures. :(

1 - 20 of 44 Posts