GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody provide an approximate number of registered members in the GL1800.com forum?

There is a lot of wisdom available here, and I was curious about how large the pool is from which we're drawing.

Tim

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Lots of registered members. I don't know how many are still active.

Attachments

·
Vendor
22,071 Posts
Current member list shows 36,533. If you counted all the members since the beginning, the number would be significantly larger. This forum first started out as a Yahoo group back in 2001 and then Direct Line took it it over and created the forum in late 2002 if my memory is correct. There are many of us that have been here since the start. There is also a wealth of data in some of the old posts that date back nearly 20 years now. I'd suspect just about every problem or solution ever found for this bike was first found and reported on this forum.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Current count is 36,533. If you counted all the members since the beginning, the number would be significantly larger. This forum first started out as a Yahoo group back in 2001 and then Direct Line took it it over and created the forum in late 2002 if my memory is correct. There are many of us that have been here since the start. There is also a wealth of data in some of the old posts that date back nearly 20 years now. I'd suspect just about every problem or solution ever found for this bike was first found and reported on this forum.
Thanks, Fred. (I was curious how large the membership pool was when I posted the query about my buddy's Nav screen problem on his '18 DCT Tour.)

Tim

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Current member list shows 36,533. If you counted all the members since the beginning, the number would be significantly larger. This forum first started out as a Yahoo group back in 2001 and then Direct Line took it it over and created the forum in late 2002 if my memory is correct. There are many of us that have been here since the start. There is also a wealth of data in some of the old posts that date back nearly 20 years now. I'd suspect just about every problem or solution ever found for this bike was first found and reported on this forum.
I think you may be thinking of Riders Rally that started as Yahoo Groups......I was an admin over there.
Hal asked to "buy out" or sponsor that forum from Don McIntyre, but Don turned him down so Hal started his very own forum.......
Riders Rally started in November 2000 and this forum started in February 2001.

This forum started in February 2001 after the introduction of the 1st Gen GL1800......
It was a very hopping place back then with Hal Greenlee <sp> (HDL) running the helm......he was very active on the forum and offered Honda insider information and deals on accessories and bikes.

The forum was reformatted in 2003 so you won't see join dates before then.

Dwindled some through the years but still pretty active considering......No idea of # of active members.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Brian....
I think you hit it about right. This was the place to be in the early years of the GL1800. With the early problems and growing pains of the 1800 a lot of good information is(was) available on this site. There is such a marked difference between the GL1500 & GL1800(which many members came off of) there was a lot to talk about. I think thru attrition and most of the bugs being worked out of the bike - along with the banning of a few members, which contributed to the start-up of alternative GL Boards, membership here has dwindled. I think with the new Gen bike there may be a resurgence in membership and some different questions to ask/answer, from new Wing converts, but will probably never be what it was 2001-2007. I'm still enjoying the ride since the old boards. JMHO. B.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Can somebody provide an approximate number of registered members in the GL1800.com forum?

There is a lot of wisdom available here, and I was curious about how large the pool is from which we're drawing.

Tim
Have no idea how many users are on here. I will say this..............I go HERE to get answers/suggestions/advice and the like BEFORE I go to the owner's manual, other online sites, etc.

You get real life answers here. And VERY LITTLE stupid s**t or whining.

·
Chard Member
13,056 Posts
I think you may be thinking of Riders Rally that started as Yahoo Groups......I was an admin over there.
Hal asked to "buy out" or sponsor that forum from Don McIntyre, but Don turned him down so Hal started his very own forum.......
Riders Rally started in November 2000 and this forum started in February 2001.

This forum started in February 2001 after the introduction of the 1st Gen GL1800......
It was a very hopping place back then with Hal Greenlee <sp> (HDL) running the helm......he was very active on the forum and offered Honda insider information and deals on accessories and bikes.

The forum was reformatted in 2003 so you won't see join dates before then.

Dwindled some through the years but still pretty active considering......No idea of # of active members.

Brian, do you remember what board Hal and LaMont used to broadcast the live unveiling of the GL1800? It was introduced in Germany. That was October 2000. Was it the Valkyrie board or did LaMont have a 1500 board also? I watched it but can’t remember. I do remember it was late in the night!

Also I thought LaMont owned and was the admin of the GL1800 Riders board and a few others. Hal was just a sponsor.

·
Vendor
22,071 Posts
Could be, it was a long time ago and my memory is a little fuzzy.

If you click on Tools -> Member List you can see the current number of registered users at the bottom.

Red is probably one of the earliest members on the forum that is still here.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Question: What would cause a member to be kick off this forum? What reason(s)????????? OR not allowed to be involved in the forum??

Ronnie

·
Registered
145 Posts
Question: What would cause a member to be kick off this forum? What reason(s)????????? OR not allowed to be involved in the forum??

Ronnie
Anyone remember "Rode Hard" or "Road Hard" or something like that? I think he got booted when I was on here before. Mainly for being overly antagonistic and abrasive and causing problems from what I remember. He would bash people for their opinions and in his mind he was the greatest rider/person ever. Then he crashed and blamed the stripes on the road that were wet. Seems like it wasn't long after that and he was gone. If I have the name wrong and I am offending someone, I apologize, but I'm pretty sure that was the name, just not how it was spelled/formatted.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Brian, do you remember what board Hal and LaMont used to broadcast the live unveiling of the GL1800? It was introduced in Germany. That was October 2000. Was it the Valkyrie board or did LaMont have a 1500 board also? I watched it but can’t remember. I do remember it was late in the night!

Also I thought LaMont owned and was the admin of the GL1800 Riders board and a few others. Hal was just a sponsor.
I was highly involved at Riders Rally so I'm not sure of the logistics of this forum when it started......
But, I believe you are right about Lamonster actually owning/running the board.......Hal was too busy ramping up HDL to support the new Wing, but he was a major influence and contributor to the initial success of this forum.

Not sure about the unveiling of GL1800, but I know it was a huge deal back then, such a departure from the GL1500 Barcalounger.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Anyone remember "Rode Hard" or "Road Hard" or something like that? I think he got booted when I was on here before. Mainly for being overly antagonistic and abrasive and causing problems from what I remember. He would bash people for their opinions and in his mind he was the greatest rider/person ever. Then he crashed and blamed the stripes on the road that were wet. Seems like it wasn't long after that and he was gone. If I have the name wrong and I am offending someone, I apologize, but I'm pretty sure that was the name, just not how it was spelled/formatted.
"Roadhard" and "Pinkfluffybunny" come to mind......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts