GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GL1800Riders.com Honda Hoot Ride 2007!

Updates are in Red!

Well, It's time to start planning another ride during Honda Hoot. We had a pretty good turnout last year and I'm hoping that if I start planning ahead, we'll have an even bigger turnout this year. Some of you already know I grew up in Knoxville and know the area pretty well, although TNCharlie and Lewis probably know more since I've been in Jacksonville for the past 18 years. :wink:

This is what I have up my sleeve so far.

1. Thursday morning, June 21st. We'll meet at 8am for breakfast and head out about 9am.

2. This ride that I'm planning has a LOT more twisties, mountain riding, some good eating and it will be quite a bit longer (a good days ride).

3. The ride will take us through three (3) states, Tennessee, Virginia and Kentucky.

4. The starting point will be the same as last year, Shoneys at 4020 Rutledge Pike, 37914 (+35° 60' 13.00", -83° 52' 27.60). Off I-40, it's exit 392A westbound and exit 392 eastbound. Here is a link to an satellite photo to give you an idea where Shoney's is located in relation to Hoot central: Click for Map of Shoneys

5. Lunch in Middlesboro, KY at either Ponderosa Bar-B-Q, or at the local Dairy Queen. Everyone can decide on their own.

6. Here is the planned route. I made a change based on some information I received regarding road construction. Also, this route will be a little more scenic and add some more twisties. Click for Ride Map

Also, for those of you who have GPS's that will accept .gdb files, and would like to load the route, here you go: Click for GPS Route File.

If you want to see the map for yourself the way Google displays it, click on this link: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Rutledge,+TN

Note: When the map first comes up, you'll need to zoom out a little to see the roads we'll be taking. You can use the scroll wheel on your mouse to zoom in and out on the map and click and drag to move the map around. Google is awesome!

Look forward to seeing all of you there! Everyone is welcome, no matter what you ride!

Bartman

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Bartman,

Nice Job!

Now when I come down to Ft. McCoy mid Feb, we gonna get together? I will be there with a cage and my bride. We will only be in town a couple of days.

Dawg

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bulldog said:
Bartman,

Nice Job!

Now when I come down to Ft. McCoy mid Feb, we gonna get together? I will be there with a cage and my bride. We will only be in town a couple of days.

Dawg
You bet Bulldog! Let us know and we'll get everyone we can to meet up somewhere and have lunch! Steve, Roy, Jan, Lowell, et al...you're all on notice. The DAWG (and the BETTER half) is coming to the state!

Bartman

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Hey Bartman that route looks good, Jen and I are interested in joining the ride again this year.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
It sounds good keep us posted. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
dtbmjax - aka Bartman said:
You bet Bulldog! Let us know and we'll get everyone we can to meet up somewhere and have lunch! Steve, Roy, Jan, Lowell, et al...you're all on notice. The DAWG (and the BETTER half) is coming to the state!

Bartman
OK. But lets pick a restaurant that we never intend to go to again and we will meet there. The Dawg has a bad habit of getting us banned from eating establishments. :D

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I am interested if the mercury will be over 100 this time.

·
Registered
757 Posts
We are in too. Last time down to the Hoot was in 2005. We did the pay to ride plan from the Hoot, it was fun. Looking for something different this year and this ride looks to quench the thirst.

EZ Reiter

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Bartman My wife and I are planning to attend our first Hoot and thus will add this to the list of things to do. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
This will be our first Hoot also. We're going Friday and could do this ride only on Saturday. I hope you do it then. Oddly enough, a lot of my family is from the Jellico, Tn area, and I have driven that 25w route between LaFollette and Jellico numerous times.
That is a very special road to me. I traveled it before I could even walk. Your route would have a lot of special meaning to me with my family ties and my history with that area. I know you're not going all the way to Jellico, but I know that stretch of 25W is a very nice one. If you do not do it Saturday, I may duplicate much of it myself on that day, as my plans have been for a while to do a ride similar while we're there.

How long to you think it will take for this loop, and have you set a day yet?

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
steve s said:
This will be our first Hoot also. We're going Friday and could do this ride only on Saturday. I hope you do it then. Oddly enough, a lot of my family is from the Jellico, Tn area, and I have driven that 25w route between LaFollette and Jellico numerous times.
That is a very special road to me. I traveled it before I could even walk. Your route would have a lot of special meaning to me with my family ties and my history with that area. I know you're not going all the way to Jellico, but I know that stretch of 25W is a very nice one. If you do not do it Saturday, I may duplicate much of it myself on that day, as my plans have been for a while to do a ride similar while we're there.

How long to you think it will take for this loop, and have you set a day yet?
I would guess Saturday is out due to that being the EC breakfast that most of us from the board (in town for the Hoot) will attend. You may want to consider going to Lewis's breakfast and there is normally a group or two that go on rides afterwords. This is a great chance to meet a few of the characters and put names to faces.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
zaT111 said:
You may want to consider going to Lewis's breakfast and there is normally a group or two that go on rides afterwords. This is a great chance to meet a few of the characters and put names to faces.
Making reservations soon ...
is there a particular place where "gl1800" memebers are going to stay?

Thanks,
Dennis and Vanessa

1 - 20 of 47 Posts