GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched here, other boards, Google. I know the answer's here but I can't figure out the right keywords.

I have a GL1800 and love it, the thing that drives me nuts is how quickly the lean angle runs out.
Can anyone provide good feedback on the lean-ability of the GL1833? I am ALWAYS dragging boards on the GL, putting pegs back on won't help as I'm on the edge of dragging hard parts.

Right now I have the GL and a Multistrada, but would really like to get down to one bike. The Strada is fun, but storing and maintaining two bikes is rough.

·
Registered
139 Posts
In terms of lean angle, the last gen 1800 and the new one is really the same: soft suspension which puts you closer to the ground which = less available lean angle. Honda went for plush here, you are looking for sport.

If you get the new bike and find it really does not lean enough, you need to get a ride on a Traxxion equipped bike (or other system that has firmer springs and increased dampening). And if you like the older bike, try to ride someones that has Traxxion on it, for lean angle, it makes a huge difference (with the added benefit of less pitching getting on and off the brakes or if you hit a bump mid corner).

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
ldrider is right on with his statement. To go a little further, add a car tire and it will give you just a little more. It won't be matching the multi, but it makes it a bit more fun.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In terms of lean angle, the last gen 1800 and the new one is really the same
If you get the new bike and find it really does not lean enough, you need to get a ride on a Traxxion equipped bike ... if you like the older bike, try to ride someones that has Traxxion on it
Thanks for the info. That helps clarify. I'll find one to try out.
... To go a little further, add a car tire and it will give you just a little more ...
Excellent! I got a wheel and tire from someone here, just haven't put it on. That's next week's project!

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Time will tell about the 2018+ edition, but the previous edition has a propensity to lose ground clearance with age. The front springs sack-out pretty quickly and the rear can develop some soag too. One big improvement is to freshen the front suspension including new Progressive or Traxxion springs and to either add a new beefier spring to the rear or near new trike take off OE set-up. If the budget allows get the full Traxxion treatment and blast away.

The new bike scrapes fairly easily too and I have not yet experience the Traxxion modifications.

prs

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The front springs sack-out pretty quickly ...
add a new beefier spring to the rear or near new trike take off OE set-up.
Should have mentioned the front has new Progressive springs. I'll look for a take-off spring for the rear.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I went with progressive mono-cartridge up front along with progressive spring in rear...bike sits slightly higher, more lean on side-stand, huge improvement in the ride, and a lot more clearance

·
Registered
700 Posts
--

An important part of your riding/cornering arsenal is your body. If you are not doing so, then consider over leaning to the inside of the turn, or as it's called often, "kissing the mirror". The further you are inside, the straighter the bike is in relation to the turn and the more speed you can get with x amount of lean of the bike.

To understand this visually, look at racers in a sharp turn. Where is their body? Now of course you won't be over that extreme, but the principle is the same. From what you say, you could well be doing just the opposite and counter leaning or sitting more straight up as the bike is leaned over. That's fine at real slow speed in a parking lot, but anathema to high speed control.

--

·
Registered
612 Posts
I went with progressive mono-cartridge up front along with progressive spring in rear...bike sits slightly higher, more lean on side-stand, huge improvement in the ride, and a lot more clearance
Where did the springs and cartridge come from. Just wondering.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I've searched here, other boards, Google. I know the answer's here but I can't figure out the right keywords.

I have a GL1800 and love it, the thing that drives me nuts is how quickly the lean angle runs out.
Can anyone provide good feedback on the lean-ability of the GL1833? I am ALWAYS dragging boards on the GL, putting pegs back on won't help as I'm on the edge of dragging hard parts.

Right now I have the GL and a Multistrada, but would really like to get down to one bike. The Strada is fun, but storing and maintaining two bikes is rough.

TRAXXION is the answer, Idrider is correct, throw in a set of 1.1 or 1.2 fork springs with 20 weight fork oil and you will see a major difference.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The kid is riding an older ‘Wing! I had the same set up on my ‘O2. It raised the bike up almost 1inch and wow could that bike lean into a sharp corner!

·
Registered
363 Posts
--

An important part of your riding/cornering arsenal is your body. If you are not doing so, then consider over leaning to the inside of the turn, or as it's called often, "kissing the mirror". The further you are inside, the straighter the bike is in relation to the turn and the more speed you can get with x amount of lean of the bike.

To understand this visually, look at racers in a sharp turn. Where is their body? Now of course you won't be over that extreme, but the principle is the same. From what you say, you could well be doing just the opposite and counter leaning or sitting more straight up as the bike is leaned over. That's fine at real slow speed in a parking lot, but anathema to high speed control.

--
So true. Just practice this at a x-way off ramp. If it is a right turn take it as normal and partway through get over to the right side of the seat and note how your lean angle changes in turn keeping the bike more upright. It improves your traction as well being you are not running to the edge of your tire.

Also if you want to tighten up the suspension if you have a tour, simply adjust the preload for additional weight or add passenger and gear.

·
Registered
131 Posts

I have a 2011 Multistrada, a 2015 Multistrada and a 2018 Goldwing with the Traxxion suspension. I'm not sure you will be happy selling the Multistrada and upgrading the suspension on your Goldwing. The GW will never come close to the sportiness of the Multi. You'll always have huge differences in weight, lean angle and power. Also, if you have an older Multi then selling it may not produce even the $3,000 needed for a Traxxion upgrade. I don't know your age, preferences, 1/2 up riding, length of trips taken, etc., but the Multistrada is a very capable sport tourer - maybe sell the Goldwing?

That said, I'm 65, and mostly ride the Goldwing now.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
... consider over leaning to the inside of the turn, or as it's called often, "kissing the mirror".
Thanks Ron. Yes, I lean in. It's the only way to get through the off-camber traffic circle by my interstate onramp at anything more than a walking pace.
That said, I'll pay more attention and make sure I'm not getting sloppy in those cases where road conditions aren't making me consciously do it.
... the Multistrada is a very capable sport tourer - maybe sell the Goldwing?
That said, I'm 65, and mostly ride the Goldwing now.
Thanks Scott. I have arthritis in too many places (knees, hip, back, hands, shoulder), and can't move around enough on the Multi for more than about 45 min. I have a crash bar coming and will try putting some highway pegs on it.
I can ride the Wing all day, and can move around enough to stop the pain. Just an inch here and there, you know how it is.

So, I'll be checking the preload, get the car tire installed, look for a new rear spring, and start pricing Traxxion.
The more I think about it, I suspect the rear is squatting under load from centrifugal force and losing clearance.

At it's core, the problem is I have a 25-year-old sportbike rider brain in a busted up old body.

·
Registered
3 Posts
PilotAlan

why not try a BMW R1200Rt or a 1250. The fairing gives you just as much front coverage plus you really can lean that bike over. An other plus is that it is about 200 lbs lighter. Second option is a R1200GS Adventure with a 7.9 gallon tank.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
... consider over leaning to the inside of the turn, or as it's called often, "kissing the mirror".
Ron, a follow up.
I started paying very close attention to my elbows, and found that when I wasn't consciously and intentionally leaning in, I was pushing the bike down.

The best I can figure, when I got the Wing I spent MANY hours on the local MSF range and in parking lots practicing the box, tight turns, etc etc, getting comfortable with the size and weight and trying to get completely confident at maneuvering the bike.
I think I reset my muscle memory doing the slow speed maneuvers over and over and over, leaning out instead of in. Now I am working to reset my muscle memory again.

It's an improvement, but I am still going to run down the CT, make sure the preload is working right, and look into replacing the rear shock/spring assembly.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
861 Posts

I know it's better than the old wing, and the old one was good for 42 degrees. So - 44, 45 degrees? Pretty aggressive overall.

And I believe that floorboards and pegs should be considered disposable items...:)

·
Registered
19,228 Posts
JUst because you scrape parts does not mean you are a better rider than someone who does not

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
JUst because you scrape parts does not mean you are a better rider than someone who does not
And it might be an indication of the opposite.

Leaning out so it can scrap at 'low' speeds, as opposed to leaning in, and able to corner faster, without anything touching.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts