GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2020 Euro 5 emission rules become mandatory in Europe. The previous Euro 4 rules became applicable in 2017. As the previous GL1832 was not Euro 4 compliant, no 2017 GoldWing models could be sold in Europe.

So next to other colors, if Honda still wants to sell in Europe in 2020 that year model (totally second GL market next to USA), they need to make changes to meet the more stringent regulations.

For the Honda CRF1000 Africa Twin, they are apparantly already working on this, which also implies CC and HP/KW increase.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2019/february/bigger-capacity-africa-twin-coming?fbclid=IwAR0sUHT5y64gjppS51Al2aO_6lDjeEfga9fpDuRY4DLzZot3paphAlltJLU

If this update would be the case, it would be an opportunity for Honda to address some of the most by GL1833 owners addressed issues like storage capacity, GPS and Audio (DAB!) not up to current standard, aggressive Sport mode etc.

Reactions: m2102

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
What does the 2018 EURO manual say about emissions?
(and/or the emissions label in the LH saddle bag, assuming euro bikes have the label in the same place as NA bikes)

It might already be compliant with 2020 requirements.

(I have zero idea what the requirements of euro 5 are, but honda has released stuff here in the past that has meet emissions standards that were not yet required))

·
Registered
360 Posts
Since the new standards were expanded in 2013 , along with the implementation dates, I doubt that Honda released the 1833 engine, without it already meeting the standards. The new standards might be the reason we got the new engine.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My current GL1833 is only Euro 4 compliant (confirmed by Honda dealer)

The Euro environment requirements are announced years ahead, but Honda and other manufacturers are not always able to develop this into product on time and this implied some models have disappared in Europe or World Wide since Euro 4 in 2017 as not on time or to costly to develop.

For instance my previous CRF1000 Africa Twin was launched first time as 2016 model late 2015, but did not meet Euro 4 standards for 2017 and Honda had to change for 2017 model year to become Euro 4 compliant to sell 2017 model in Europe.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
If the 2019 is only Euro 4 compliant, 2020 will be a good time to buy a 2019 bike. The dealers will register them during the latter part of 2019 so they have effectively bought them from themselves and officially put them on the road while it was legal. For a purchaser there's always good deals to be had because the dealer then has to off-load them. The downside is that the warranty starts from registration time so as a buyer there is lost warranty time. Nevertheless, if you save a few grand it can be a good way to buy.

However, since Euro 5 has been known of for so long I'd bet Honda has it sussed. Whether they take that opportunity to sort the flaws, I guess we'll need to wait and see.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
What effect will the Brexit separation have?
Will the stick with the Euro reg or do something 'made at home'?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Harry, did you check the emissions label on the bike?

No emission labels on bike or any reference in owners manual.

With regard to JW remark on exising new inventory of bikes who do not meet new specification. For Euro 4 within certain rules existing inventory per 1-1-2017 depending on number of sales in prevous year of same model by importer, they could be sold in limited quantities over the next 2 years. The dealer I bought my 2019 Africa Twin has released Honda Benelux of the last VFR1200F and GL1800 F6C Valkyrie inventory (both not Euro 4 compliant) and registred in December 2018 and are now available at huge discount (see link). So with regard to 2018/19 model inventory per 1-1-2020 if same rules apply could be sold over 2020 and 2021 and final registration has to be December 2021.

https://www.tenkatemotoren.nl/2012-07-31-13-15-51

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
What effect will the Brexit separation have?
Will the stick with the Euro reg or do something 'made at home'?
I guess that's still to be decided. If our government is sharp, they'll see the opportunity to improve import and world export because we won't be bound by the EU tariff system. We could, for instance, sell you guys Triumph cycles at a good price and we could give Honda a good deal when importing to us. But, you can be sure stupid people will get involved and political points will be scored for personal gain. However, we will need to comply with export rules into EU.

With the Euro 5 regs the greens will be grumping if we're seen not to follow suit I'd guess. But, a large part of the pressure in the UK to leave the EU was the never ending rules we had imposed upon us from Brussels by the EU rule makers. Some good but many trivial or inappropriate.

The EU does have concerns that countries outwith Europe will sneek goods in via the UK.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I’m confident Honda is on top of it. They are pros at what they do. They probably have a 5-10 year plan like everyone else. Zero surprises.

·
Registered
466 Posts
For a Euro 4 compliant engine, Euro 5 is most likely easily addressable with a reflash of the ECU/ECM. I doubt that it would be something that would force Honda to return to the drawing board and redo all sorts of unrelated perceived issues. Most likely it will rob a bit of performance in order to further reduce CO or NOx. It is highly unlikely that either unburned hydrocarbons or soot are an issue for any modern gasoline engine marketed in either Europe or the US, with the possible exception of the stuff that comes in from China and India.

:confused:

·
Registered
466 Posts
1833 are euro4 but euro5 ready aswel ;)
This makes sense. Why rob the bike of performance before it is required by law? There may be a handful of people who would prefer the more sluggish bike, but most would prefer the stronger performance if given the choice.

Euro 5 will come soon enough. Two strokes will go into eclipse again, but this won’t affect any full size street bikes that I’m aware of.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just got a Honda Motor Magazine email from Honda Benelux, which confirms that the fuel injection modification is making the 2020 model compliant with Euro 5 emission regulations.
It also states a performance level of 124 HP, while it was 126 HP before. But those numbers are always calculated starting from the performance number expressed in kW, and this conversion is not always done correctly. So: still waiting for the kW rating of the 2020 model ( not mentioned), to be compared with the 93kW of the 2018-2019 models

·
Registered
1,746 Posts

If this update would be the case, it would be an opportunity for Honda to address some of the most by GL1833 owners addressed issues like storage capacity, GPS and Audio (DAB!) not up to current standard, aggressive Sport mode etc.
ummm no. thats not happening because of the emission demands of europe

·
Registered
148 Posts
In 2020 Euro 5 emission rules become mandatory in Europe. The previous Euro 4 rules became applicable in 2017. As the previous GL1832 was not Euro 4 compliant, no 2017 GoldWing models could be sold in Europe.

So next to other colors, if Honda still wants to sell in Europe in 2020 that year model (totally second GL market next to USA), they need to make changes to meet the more stringent regulations.

For the Honda CRF1000 Africa Twin, they are apparantly already working on this, which also implies CC and HP/KW increase.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2019/february/bigger-capacity-africa-twin-coming?fbclid=IwAR0sUHT5y64gjppS51Al2aO_6lDjeEfga9fpDuRY4DLzZot3paphAlltJLU
18 units were already euro 5 compliant , in 2020 only NEW presented models have to be euro 5 for a legal registration
from 2021 all are in need to be euro 5 also .

·
Registered
43 Posts
18 units were already euro 5 compliant , in 2020 only NEW presented models have to be euro 5 for a legal registration
from 2021 all are in need to be euro 5 also .
Not fully correct. 2018-2019 units were only euro 4 compliant, but the engine design was indeed euro 5 ready. Tweaks on fuel injection level will introduce euro 5 compliancy with the 2020 units.

It is correct to state that Honda could have waited until 2021 for doing this, but for some unclear reason they decided to do it in 2020 already.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts