GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

This is really for Pedro, but as it is a holiday weekend I am posting it here in case someone else recognizes the problem and knows how to solve it.

(In the following discussion, "local" is the GMRS connected to the GL2Way using the 2nd radio interface cable; "remote" is the hand-held GMRS. Both GMRS units are MIDLAND GXT1000, both will TX/RX to each other. The GL2Way and attached CB are working correctly.)

When remote transmits, TX appears on remote, RX appears on local, and remote can be heard clearly in the bike's audio system. However, when trying to transmit through local, TX appears on the bike display but not on local. And remote shows no RX indication.

Three clicks on the bike's PTT do not produce any indicator tone or any visual clue that the GL2Way has switched over from CB mode to 2nd radio mode.

Swapping the local and remote units has no effect. Jiggling/wiggling/reconnecting the 2nd radio harness has no effect. Both units work correctly with headsets plugged into the external speaker/mike inputs.

So I'm stumped. Either three clicks is not the correct number to use or there is something wrong with the GL2Way.

Any advice is appreciated at this point.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Did you enable the FRS function? I am assuming you have 1.9 software

Second Radio Connection (Optional)

To enable second radio mode

- Switch to Channel 7
- Squelch up-up-down-down all within 1.5 seconds
- You should hear three beeps
- Switch down to channel 18
- Switch volume up until a '1' shows on the screen to enable
- Hit the PTT to exit setup

ETA A word of warning do not go to ANY other channels and change ANYTHING while in programming mode you can change settings that will cause you to have to send the radio back in for me to work out what you did

We will release a programming guide pretty soon that will give you access to other settings

·
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just noted that the GL2Way is supposed to default to 2nd Radio mode if no CB is present. Tomorrow morning I will try disconnecting the CB and trying the GMRS again. If it behaves differently that may tell us something.

·
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you enable the FRS function? I am assuming you have 1.9 software

Second Radio Connection (Optional)

To enable second radio mode

- Switch to Channel 7
- Switch down to channel 18
I didn't, and that's probably why it wasn't working. Should there have been an addendum in the instructions? I might have missed it. I'll try this first thing tomorrow.

Thanks for the quick reply!

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Also if you have RX on the screen you will not hear the beeps on three presses

If you have earlier software then your issue is most likely not pressing the PTT fast enough or RX in progress

·
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty sure it has V1.9 in it - that's what the label on the unit says. I will try the enable sequence first thing tomorrow.

Sent from my Ipood using both thumbs!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Pedro, I'll try the same on mine tommorrow. Will the GL2WAY revert back to the CB after the bike is shut down or do I repeat the procedure in post #2 to return to CB mode?

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Pedro, I'll try the same on mine tommorrow. Will the GL2WAY revert back to the CB after the bike is shut down or do I repeat the procedure in post #2 to return to CB mode?

Once FRS is enabled it stays on whatever you select with the 3 presses we just started turning off the 3 presses as abut 75% of support calls were customers who had managed to switch without knowing and without having a second radio

On earlier versions of software you could also change radios with a squelch combination which we thought users would never find but guess what they did.

ETA A word of warning do not go to ANY other channels and change ANYTHING while in programming mode you can change settings that will cause you to have to send the radio back in for me to work out what you did

We will release a programming guide pretty soon that will give you access to other settings

·
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Greetings!

Pedro, I did the 2nd radio enable sequence and everything now works flawlessly. Cool! Thanks for all your help!

Sent from my Ipood using both thumbs!

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
On earlier versions of software you could also change radios with a squelch combination which we thought users would never find but guess what they did.
Because I missed the squelch gesture taken away in v1.9 ... copying the sequence Pete described, but altering to point to enable squelch gesture:

- Switch to Channel 7
- Switch down to channel 20

Once enabled, then one can also use a squelch-up-down to switch radios (without an over-the-air like the PTT gesture). I am SO going to wear out my Squelch switch :coffee1:

Pete is too coy ... and over-worked IMHO, if you have borken(tm) things beyond recognition, bother him after you try to reset to factory defaults (V1.7 did not do this, this is a new feature in V1.9):

- Switch to Channel 7
- Switch down to channel 20
- Switch volume up until a '20' is to show on the screen to reset
- Reset will result in an immediate change from 20 to a value of 0.

BTW, if you are interested, if you change the volume level on Channel 7, it controls the BEEP volume ... setting it to zero is going to give Pete some real headaches :lol:

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
As you can tell Salyzyn does some testing for us and likes to help me out by finding all the easter eggs

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Hi. Bumping this old thread and hoping to take it to the next level....

So once I have the 2nd radio / FRS mode enabled, how do I control whether I'm on CB or FRS radio?

Does it default to FRS whenever I have one plugged in, and switch back to CB when I unplug the FRS? Or is there a switch combo I do to purposefully change back and forth. And is there any display that lets me know which one I'm on?

Also, since it's been about two years now, I'm assuming that programming guide is available -- where do I get one?

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Hi. Bumping this old thread and hoping to take it to the next level....

So once I have the 2nd radio / FRS mode enabled, how do I control whether I'm on CB or FRS radio?

Does it default to FRS whenever I have one plugged in, and switch back to CB when I unplug the FRS? Or is there a switch combo I do to purposefully change back and forth. And is there any display that lets me know which one I'm on?

Also, since it's been about two years now, I'm assuming that programming guide is available -- where do I get one?

Thanks!

Once you have and led the second radio 3 fast taps on the PTT will produce one or two beeps CB is one beep FRS is two

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
OK. That works. Thanks, Pete. And a quick reply on a holiday weekend, too!

That's a fairly useful toggle to know about. I haven't seen it documented elsewhere, and I've been looking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts