GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and didn't come across anything so I'll ask.

Those of you who have the GPS hooked up through the Gl2way does it work the way it's supposed too? Will it still come through the headset regardless of your choice of audio source? And does it use the intercom as it's access? Currently have XM through the GPS and thinking about using a roady instead.

Garmin 2820 w/gxm30
Edsets mic splitter

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Those of you who have the GPS hooked up through the Gl2way does it work the way it's supposed too? Will it still come through the headset regardless of your choice of audio source? And does it use the intercom as it's access? Currently have XM through the GPS and thinking about using a roady instead.

Garmin 2820 w/gxm30
Edsets mic splitter
The GL2WAY has a cable that goes from the gl2way up to the fairing pocket or wherever you have an audio output cable from the gps. (if you do not have the cable, you may not have ordered the unit with the cable. Pete sells the cable). The gl2way's cable is a single cable going from the gl2way, which then splits into two female jacks, one with a 3.5 mm and the other with a 2.5 mm jack. The gps uses the 3.5 mm one, the other is not used. You will have to use a jumper from the gps to the 3.5 mm jack.

The gps goes into the frs selection of the gl2way regarding volume control to your helmet. Set your gps to max volume output on all the outputs (media, traffic, master, etc.) When the gps speaks, you will see the RX indicator come on for the cb, and you will hear the gps via the speakers or helmet, whichever is selected. You must have the CB on, do not have to have the FRS selected, you will hear it whether your on either the cb or frs, but volume control via the handlebar only if frs selected.

Note - due to the various output levels that music has, don't expect to be able to use the gps music into the gl2way. The low sound passages causes the gl2way to not "see" the incoming signal and not trigger the RX function. Some gps's have a low output signal anyway, and even the gps directions tends to cutout. Pete is working on this, I had to install a Boostaroo unit to overcome this issue.

Hope this answers your question, and Pete will chime in if I have any errors.

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
Pete,
Does the FRS hookup work with a Honda cb?
We have Honda cb's which we don't often use and would like to try FRS radios.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Quick Answer-NO not incorporated.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
:agree: Different interface unit. Pete's unit uses a separate interface unit that is between the bike's radio control system and the actual CB unit. I do not know if you can buy just the interface and marry it to your CB, or send your CB in for them to match them up. Go to www.bikemp3.com and send them an email with your questions.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.

Unfortunately I don't think this will work in my situation. I use the FRS output for a FRS radio already, and if I'm reading this correctly I can't use both at the same time, Or use the CB and still hear the GPS?

What I am trying to accomplish is to remove the XM from the GPS (lowering the number of accounts) and add a portable unit to the aux input while still keeping all of the functionality of the GL2way

Pete, how about a second outlet for GPS on future models? just a thought.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Thanks guys.

Unfortunately I don't think this will work in my situation. I use the FRS output for a FRS radio already, and if I'm reading this correctly I can't use both at the same time, Or use the CB and still hear the GPS?

What I am trying to accomplish is to remove the XM from the GPS (lowering the number of accounts) and add a portable unit to the aux input while still keeping all of the functionality of the GL2way

Pete, how about a second outlet for GPS on future models? just a thought.
The gl2way has a connection to the CB and one to the FRS for transmitting and receiving. There is an additional input cable that can be connected from the gl2way to the GPS or other audio output. (note: I found you can hook up a splitter and have more than one input to this lead, such as a GPS and a MP3 or XM system). If you are listening to the bike radio or CD, and an input comes in on the gps input the radio will mute and the gps will be heard. If you get a phone call that the bluetooth function of the gps can handle, you will hear the incoming phone call. If the gps has an audio input jack, you can use a mic splitter to have your voice go into the gps and out to the other person. If the gps does not have an audio input, then you will have to use a bluetooth transmitter that can connect to the mic splitter. There are other threads on this item.

If the gl2way is hooked up to all three (frs, gps & cb), you will be able to hear all three. Transmit is on either the frs or cb, individually, depending on which one you have selected. So you can ride with a group that has frs or cb radios, and be able to hear and talk to either group. Rather a neat feature.

Hope this answered your questions above.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
If the gl2way is hooked up to all three (frs, gps & cb), you will be able to hear all three. Transmit is on either the frs or cb, individually, depending on which one you have selected. So you can ride with a group that has frs or cb radios, and be able to hear and talk to either group. Rather a neat feature.
Easter Egg:

Longish (less than 1s) PTT quickly followed by three short (less than 1/3s) PTT taps (must be fluid, do not leave a pause after the long PTT) will allow you to control BOTH FRS and CB at the same time. It acknowledges with four beeps. After this whenever you operate the PTT, it will transmit to both the FRS and the CB folks. Three taps of the PTT takes you out of this mode and returns to individual transmit control.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Salyzyn,
That is some good intel which I didn't know. Thanks

·
Registered
702 Posts
Easter Egg:

Longish (less than 1s) PTT quickly followed by three short (less than 1/3s) PTT taps (must be fluid, do not leave a pause after the long PTT) will allow you to control BOTH FRS and CB at the same time. It acknowledges with four beeps. After this whenever you operate the PTT, it will transmit to both the FRS and the CB folks. Three taps of the PTT takes you out of this mode and returns to individual transmit control.
This is good to know...:yes1:
But how did you discover this?!

AG GL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts