GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the Gl2way CB set-up and can no longer get my Zumo to transmit through the bike's audio system. I verified connections. Anyone had this issue and if so what was the solution? I will email Pete the question but wanted to check here as well.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I had the same problem. The only way I could get the Zumo to work was to remove it from its cradle before I started the bike. When the bike started I just clicked it back in place and all the Zumo sounds worked. Seems the Zumo puts out some sort of signal on start up that shuts something off in the GL2way. This is not a real good explanation, hope Pete can help you out better than me. It does work though if you remember to remove the Zumo before starting. Hope this helps some.

Ride safely

Crabby Bob

·
Registered
928 Posts
You are very welcome. I know that Pete is aware of this issue but has never (to my knowledge) found a fix. I ended up feeding the Zumo into the system with a Kennedy cellset and it now all works. I just by the way, stumbled on to that fix cause I had tried everything else. First time the problem happened to me was in Kalispell Montana on a 6000 mile trip and I was only half way through it. Bitchin' Betty is a pain, but I sure wish I could have heard her voice for the next 3000 miles. Take care.

Ride safely

Crabby Bob

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Its not the GL2WAY the input is always live it appears to be the ZUMO turning off the output on the cradle no idea why it does this, although you could try cleaning the contacts on the cradle and the GPS this has helped so I am guessing it may have something to do with resistance the ZUMO is sensing or not

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Pete I called your shop several times while in Bike week hoping to get the gl2way working while down there..Is wrapping the unit in tin foil still the only fix for the transmission squeal?? Or has a better fix been worked out.. Has not been able to use for transmitting since you installed it at Wing Ding. Receives great

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Pete I called your shop several times while in Bike week hoping to get the gl2way working while down there..Is wrapping the unit in tin foil still the only fix for the transmission squeal?? Or has a better fix been worked out.. Has not been able to use for transmitting since you installed it at Wing Ding. Receives great
Your issue is the bike not the radio there are now more and more incidents of weirdness happening with 2012+ bikes with both GL2WAY and OEM CB products, wrapping the CB and cables in foil is actually a fix that even Honda dealers are using, that said placement of cables swapping of headset pigtails and headsets have all proved helpful, but until Honda fully acknowledge the issue with some 12+ bikes its just trial and error to see what works for your particular bike. The OEM has less issues as it is lower modulating and we can adjust that on your GL2WAY down to similar levels to see if it helps, I can talk you through the process over the phone if you want to set up a time when you can be next to the bike.

You most welcome to call and make an appointment to come over I will see what I can do to get it quiet for you, I was not around during bike week as I was getting the new radio FCC approved but next week I should be able to make time for you if your still around Florida, if not when we speak on the phone I can give you a bunch of other items to try.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
My bike and another's bike had squeal issues, mine was intermittent. Mine found the problem to be my bluetooth mp3 player system. The module was located down in the cb cubby. Was fine there with the stock cb, not the GL2Way. Other's bike was he had a aux fuse block in the trunk, with wires routed up to the various accessories in the front of the bike.

So here's the issue with that. The GL2Way modulates way higher than the stock radio system. Rather like a TV signal. the transmitting tower doesn't put out any more power during a commercial - it's a fixed power output. But the modulation on the commercial is higher, and blasts you off your easy chair.

So with the GL2Way's higher modulation, the signal is easy to bleed over, and get induced into, the stock radio system on the bike and cause squealing. Make sure you have no other wires located near or running by the radio or antennae wiring. Oftentimes the passenger headset cable is a source of induction also. Try pulling the seat and unplugging the passenger cable, check your other cabling for possible inteference and try transmitting.

Hope this helps ya.

edit: noticed Pete responded before I finished my post. Pete be the man. :bow:

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Not getting any squeal in any of the on board items.. The only squeal is in the gl2way itself as it transmits to the other cbs in the area. Nobody can hear any voice from my gl2way just a horrific rip your helmet off squeal

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Not getting any squeal in any of the on board items.. The only squeal is in the gl2way itself as it transmits to the other cbs in the area. Nobody can hear any voice from my gl2way just a horrific rip your helmet off squeal
The squeal is in your audio system not in the GL2WAY, when you transmit your bike is allowing your transmission back in to the audio system most likely the MIC circuit then rebroadcasting it to the GL2WAY kind of like a feedback loop

This happened on the early GL1800 models when people added rear speakers, or when the radio developed the microphonic issue where the capacitors in the radio turned into microphones, it then happened on the airbag bikes and Honda issued a fix for it, this is very common with CB radio on all motorcycles

As I posted on the other thread where you asked these same questions this is not limited to the GL2WAY but the OEM also it is not the CB at fault in either case it is the installation situation please read these threads and try to accept this is the case so we can try to get you up and running, if it helps I will swap your GL2WAY out but we are just delaying the inevitable which will be to address the bike.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?352812-2012-CB-Problem&highlight=gl2way

http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10927

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?439433-CB-error-indication-on-counsel&highlight=error

Here is a Honda tech bulletin on the very issue, you will not that even the position of the headset cable on the airbag bike caused squeal.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1800 Service Bulletins/1800SB19.pdf

Here it is on a FJR

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22771

And here on a Harley

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/harley-davidson-touring/64274-2006-flhtcui-cb-radio-quality.html

GL1500

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/397929-gl1500-ptt-squeal.html

2004 An OEM CB

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?101511-CB-Problem-Need-help-please&highlight=squeal

More

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?160086-cb-coming-thru-ft-speakers-when-i-talk&highlight=squeal

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?171749-CB-squeal&highlight=squeal

In none of the cases is the fix related to the CB radio maybe the audio unit but always the installation situation

And again I accept that the GL2WAY is more likely to suffer from these issues but that is because the radio is performing so well and kicking out a strong signal but thats why you bought it

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Kniterider, I can attest in knowing how irritating this can be. But follow the suggestions in the above threads and work with Pete and he will work with you. Have some patience and it will work out. May take a bit of trial and error, but it will get working.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
I will.. It is still in the bike since wing ding.. It is just I have had a CB in every bike since 1975 when I mounted a Lafeyette mod 23A with a D104 lollypop power mike and a 102 inch whip anteenna on my CB550 honda. First problem. But I will try again.. hope to have all the bugs worked out before i start my Longer rides this summer

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
I will.. It is still in the bike since wing ding.. It is just I have had a CB in every bike since 1975 when I mounted a Lafeyette mod 23A with a D104 lollypop power mike and a 102 inch whip anteenna on my CB550 honda. First problem. But I will try again.. hope to have all the bugs worked out before i start my Longer rides this summer
I really understand the frustration but lets work through it, the reason most of your older bikes were OK is that most did not have a built in audio system or as much wire as a car

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
I really understand the frustration but lets work through it, the reason most of your older bikes were OK is that most did not have a built in audio system or as much wire as a car
I plan on trying to fix it.and work thru whatever plan you have. But every Wing since my 86 Special Edition injected model has a full factory audi and intercom system. I had three of that particular model it worked so well,, except the charging connection for the staor,, they had to be bypassed to keep from melting. Even my 2004 wing had full factory everything.. Just when I drove 4.5 hours out to pick up the 2012 wing they did not have a factory CB for it and would not for another month..

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
I plan on trying to fix it.and work thru whatever plan you have. But every Wing since my 86 Special Edition injected model has a full factory audi and intercom system. I had three of that particular model it worked so well,, except the charging connection for the staor,, they had to be bypassed to keep from melting. Even my 2004 wing had full factory everything.. Just when I drove 4.5 hours out to pick up the 2012 wing they did not have a factory CB for it and would not for another month..
Honestly read the threads you might not be any better off with an OEM

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Honestly read the threads you might not be any better off with an OEM
you mis understood.. I am not advocating for an OEM radio. I read all the reports between the OEM and the 2way.. I just wished the installers had been better set up to test their work that morning.. no bench CB to test if it was operating before I left for Maryland so i could have gotten problem resolved then thats all

Certain things I do not try and install myself,, this was one of them.. thats why I held off until wingding instead of having the local bike shop install it because i had already verified your guys would be on site to do the install

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
you mis understood.. I am not advocating for an OEM radio. I read all the reports between the OEM and the 2way.. I just wished the installers had been better set up to test their work that morning.. no bench CB to test if it was operating before I left for Maryland so i could have gotten problem resolved then thats all

Certain things I do not try and install myself,, this was one of them.. thats why I held off until wingding instead of having the local bike shop install it because i had already verified your guys would be on site to do the install
Yes thats true we did mess up for that show however chances are it did not squeal straight out of the box but anyway moving on call in when you have some time

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Knitrider...for what it's worth...I had squealing in my GL2way due to install issues. (mine) Radio worked fine until I installed a passenger volume control and a volt meter at the same time. Thought it was the volume control...I think it was the volt meter. I had used unshielded power wire ran across underneath audio system to left pocket. (in hindsight...not a good ideal) Re-ran power with shielded cable to fuse box and wrap some aluminum tape (home store) around left speaker cable and the connection to antenna...both under the seat.

Good luck...it can be a pain...I had to set up a bench radio to test. Then when I got what I thought was right...I had to get my wife to verify because I could not hear it without squealing. (too close caused feedback)

Oh...make sure you are not close to objects like a car...house...building where signal can reflect back. This can cause squealing. (I no you no that but just had to say it anyway...for my sake! :oops: )

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Knitrider...for what it's worth...I had squealing in my GL2way due to install issues. (mine) Radio worked fine until I installed a passenger volume control and a volt meter at the same time. Thought it was the volume control...I think it was the volt meter. I had used unshielded power wire ran across underneath audio system to left pocket. (in hindsight...not a good ideal) Re-ran power with shielded cable to fuse box and wrap some aluminum tape (home store) around left speaker cable and the connection to antenna...both under the seat.

Good luck...it can be a pain...I had to set up a bench radio to test. Then when I got what I thought was right...I had to get my wife to verify because I could not hear it without squealing. (too close caused feedback)

Oh...make sure you are not close to objects like a car...house...building where signal can reflect back. This can cause squealing. (I no you no that but just had to say it anyway...for my sake! :oops: )

Thank you.. Looks like I will be spending at least a weekend tracing down wires and wrapping .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts