GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for lodging/camping recommendations around Glacier NP, east or west side. I read quite few threads but they were old. 1 thread mentioned a KOA or something that had continental breakfast but can't find thread now.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i have stayed at the koa in st marys, east side of park, very nice, i rented one of their little log cabins, located 1 mile east of park entrance and going to the sun road. check out their web site.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
If you do not need hookups, there are several nice campgrounds in the park. We spent two weeks at Apgar Campground, just inside the west entrance, last June. If you get a site at the back side of the loop, it is pretty quiet. They do not have the facilities of an RV park - no electric, no sewer, no showers. They do have flush toilets. So, if you like sleeping under the pine canopy, and watching wildlife, it might be OK for you. We did see a young black bear in the campground. Glacier has a very agressive bear policy.

If you want all the comforts available, try the Mountain Meadow campground in West Glacier. They are near the KOA on the west side, and have full hookups at every site. And the nicest restroom & shower facilities we've seen. If you are staying @ Mountain Meadow, you might need reservations as they are very popular.

Whatever you decide, you will not have near enough time to see it all. We've been there five times and will be returning one day. The best time of day to ride Going To The Sun Road is early morning or after 3:00 pm. One day we headed out @ 7:00 am going over Logan Pass and traffic was nonexistant. Coming back over leaving St. Mary around 3:00 there was again little traffic. So if you have time, ride the pass in both directions.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. My plans got changed due to my accident in Colorado in June. I'm planning this ride now for 10-14 Aug. Will the traffic be bad then?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts