GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
First time post here and I have a couple questions. I'll be heading to Glacier in two weeks from southern Indiana. My plan was to go north on 71 from St Joseph Missouri all the way to hwy 2 in Minnesota. Then go west all the way to Glacier. My questions are, is there flooding problems in Missouri or Iowa that will cause me problems on hwy 71 and is hwy 2 as desolate as it looks on the map? Will I find lodging, services if needed ect? Are there cool things to see along this route? I hate to run the slab all the way there and this looks like a no brainer even I can follow without getting lost or having to use the navi on my '08. Anybody from these areas that can give me some suggestions would be appriciated.

skydoggy

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Us-2

I can't speak to flooding on 71. I did US-2 a couple of times last year. It is an excellant road that traverses some big central plains. The speed limit is mostly 75-70 mph and there is a small town every 50-100 miles. You do pass through some Indian Reservations and they have their own laws and enforcement. Just be aware. As far as interesting goes...it's at least as good as any other road that'll get you there. I actually like it enough that when I go west again, it'll be on that road. It will give you a healthy respect for what our fore-fathers went through to settle this land. There is some chance that it might be a little cooler too.

Richard

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I'll be riding to Glacier from Michigan's LP in late August. I intend to pickup US 2 right after crossing the Big Mac and taking it all the way to Glacier. I have not travelled that route since 1981 and look forward to renewing the experience.

Thanks Richard for the input as that has solidified my plans for taking US 2. Are you going to RG this year? Unfortunately I had to pick between RG or doing other things on the tour. MY GF is riding with me and she is still working, so limited time.

Fred

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I'll be leaving Washington State in the morning to head back home to NJ. I plan to hop on Hwy 2 near Everett and will be riding it all the way to it's end in St. Ignace, MI. Glacier NP will be one of my stops. If you see a Silver Wing pulling a Piggy Backer headed East, give me a wave. :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks fellas for all the help. It is nice to know that I'm not the first to travel this way. The flooding caused me some concern as I just couldn't find enough info to ease my nerves. I guess it wouldn't hurt me to detour if I ran into problems but, I'd rather not. I'm anxious to head north and feel some cooler temps. I'll be watching for you Wingleader 09 but I'm sure you'll be long gone before I get there.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I'll be leaving Washington State in the morning to head back home to NJ. I plan to hop on Hwy 2 near Everett and will be riding it all the way to it's end in St. Ignace, MI. Glacier NP will be one of my stops. If you see a Silver Wing pulling a Piggy Backer headed East, give me a wave. :thumbup:
If you take US 23 after crossing the Big Mac(a nice ride) you will be coming right thru Tawas. Give me a shout and I'll meet ya for coffee, lunch, ETC.

Fred

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
If you take US 23 after crossing the Big Mac(a nice ride) you will be coming right thru Tawas. Give me a shout and I'll meet ya for coffee, lunch, ETC.

Fred
Thanks Fred, 23 looks like a nicer ride than straight down I-75. Send me a PM with a phone number and, I'll give you a shout.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts