GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Already went on this years vacation, Colorado was nice but cold. Looking at next year already so just wondering how many days a person should allow for Glacier Park, looking at staying inside the park maybe at Lake McDonald Cabins. Thanks

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Northern Montana can be very cold also. Last June, we saw temperatures in the upper 30s in parts of Glacier park. You can go in mid-August for a little warmer weather.

Last year we spent a little over two weeks at Glacier. We had our camper and trailer, which we used as a garage. We arrived about a week before Going To The Sun opened and used the time to explore other areas of the park. There are several nice rides in addition to GTTS. If we were taking just the bikes, I think we would spend three nights in the area.

There are several nice places to stay in Glacier. The cabins at Apgar on the west end of Lake MacDonald look ok from the outside. They do not have any modern conveniences like telephone or TV.

You might want to consider the Lake MacDonald Lodge for one night. It overlooks the lake and is about half way to Logan Pass. On the east side, is St. Mary's lodge. Very different scenery on the east side than the west side. Look into the Two Medicine and Many Glacier areas also. Make your plans early as the hotels and cabins fill very early. I looked into a reservation for this summer in March and everything I wanted was full then.

Lot's more information on the National Park Service website.

Get your passport and visit Waterton Park in Canada. It's just across the border.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Glacier

My wife and I were their on the 26th of June and most of the park was still closed But I read somewhere that the Hwy to the Sun opened a week or so ago. We stayed outside the park in Kalispell Mt. the whole area is beatiful, you can not go wrong.

John Kreuzer

1 - 3 of 3 Posts