GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow wingers. In a few days a friend and I will be riding up through Lolo pass and figured being so close to Glacier Park we would be real knuckle heads to not go thru the park. I am curious as to which is the better direction to go thru. Apgar to St Marys or from St Marys to Apgar. Does not matter or do both ways? We will have 9 days to have fun so any advice would be great. We will be tent camping with no reservations anywhere. Are camping spots going to be hard to find? Thanks in advance for all the info.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I went through the park in both directions a number of years back, probably eight.

I found West Glacier (the town near Apgar) to be more of a picturesque "entrance to the park", and St. Mary's to be more of a dump-out map-dot that just happens to be near the park on the other end.

Could just be me, or the route I picked.

If you have that many days, check out Many Glacier Hotel, which is a little ways north of St. Mary's, and not on the "through road", so you'll have to ride up there separately, but it's worth it to see one of the old hotels, back when they were made of wood and tree trunks several feet thick end to end.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Riding on Lolo pass you're going to go right past were I use to live. Given this COVID thing, if stuff is open, you might find some camping spots without reservation. However, if this were a normal year, I would have some sort of reservation everywhere you go up there in MT. You're not the only person on vacation and there are a lot of people thinking you can just show up and there will be a room or spot available, only to find out they are ALL taken. I use to live outside Missoula and rode up their once and stayed at a small motel in Shelby. My wife had made reservations. The hotel was booked and while we were checking in about 10 people came in looking for a room. All surprised the place was booked. They wondered why?... the clerk told them all the same thing... "You're not the only person on vacation... "

COVID may have changed that this year. Don't expect tent camping to be just anywhere. I'd make some phone calls, make sure stuff is open etc. Montana is an open place, but they don't want people thinking they can just throw up a tent anywhere. And if you pitch up a tent just anywhere, a Ranger or Fred with his shotgun will come along and discuss it with you.

West Glacier and Apgar is where civilization is... St Mary's is not. A convenience store at a cross road. Everything East of that is just open area. Shelby is a small town with a few things. Going West to Columbia falls and Kalispell is a better area to end the day. If you go Apgar to St Mary's, I'd plan to roll back around Hwy 2 back to Kalispell to end the day. Don't stop in Browning.

You can go to Shelby, but I'd have a reservation.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Great info from Destindoc. But I’m curious.... why do you say ”Don’t stop in Browning”? Lack of accommodations or quality thereof or some other reason? I’ve never been there but just looking for a heads up for when I do make it into that region. 👍

·
Registered
768 Posts
Not sure how things will be this year but usually traffic is worse going west to east. Most people seem to enter on the west side and it will be slow going. Might be better due to COVID. I ride through the park at least every othe year and I no longer go west to east due to traffic. On a warm day the bike will try to overheat because you will creep along at 10 MPH.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great info. I was hoping the covid thing would keep some of the campers at bay. I had better make some phone calls. The west to east because of the pull outs is a great tip. Never even gave that a thought. I will put Many Glacier hotel on the list. Sounds interesting.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Great info. I was hoping the covid thing would keep some of the campers at bay. I had better make some phone calls. The west to east because of the pull outs is a great tip. Never even gave that a thought. I will put Many Glacier hotel on the list. Sounds interesting.
I can't verify this myself, but I read on my rider friend's FB page that Glacier was closed, and they had to cancel their trip there.BTW, they live in Tellico Plains, TN.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Not all the park is open. Appears you can not ride Going to the Sun road from either direction. IMG_1460.JPG

·
Registered
226 Posts
FYI::Seen a recent picture of the snow removal efforts on the road going to the sun. The large bulldozers and front loaders were dwarfed by the immense amount of snow on the road.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hello fellow wingers. In a few days a friend and I will be riding up through Lolo pass and figured being so close to Glacier Park we would be real knuckle heads to not go thru the park. I am curious as to which is the better direction to go thru. Apgar to St Marys or from St Marys to Apgar. Does not matter or do both ways? We will have 9 days to have fun so any advice would be great. We will be tent camping with no reservations anywhere. Are camping spots going to be hard to find? Thanks in advance for all the info.
We stayed in East Glacier, rode the Going to the Sun road east to west and then back east, worked great we didn't have to look into the sun going either way, East Glacier is really laid back, a couple of places to eat but we liked it

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
If Colorado is any indication, there are PLENTY of RVers traveling. And the Going to the Sun Road is currently closed.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
It's a little strange to think like this, but I wouldn't hesitate to go there right now. The fact that Going to the Sun isn't open means that you will have one of the neatest places that I have been, almost to yourself. That means that you'll see more animals and fewer vehicles. You have enough time that you will be able to get to almost anything and won't have to deal with the crowds. In 2014 I was there before the Sun road opened and by riding just halfway down Many Glacier Trail, we came within 50 yards of a grizzly sow and her twins and a little later a young bull moose. Every thing but the very top will be open by now. I'd love to do it.

Richard

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not sure if I am too late, but we were just at a wedding in Kalispell and went to the park. The East side of Glacier is closed because of the pandemic. The Westside is open, but with very limited travel. ( vehicle wise) Just my opinion, not worth the effort for what can be driven. If your a hiker? There are still lots of options for that. If you decide to go, I'd recommend getting there before 8am. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Glacier Park is closed. Besides, don't waste your time on such a crowded road. Half of the road is just a tunnel in the trees, boring.
Instead go a bit further EAST and ride the world famous Beartooth Scenic Highway out of Red Lodge, Montana (Hwy 212). Crest at almost 11,000 feet above sea level. Look DOWN on still ice covered lakes below you! And to top that off, ride the adjunct highway over Dead Indian Pass (Hwy #296). It costs a Canadian almost $50 to ride the Going to the Sun road...whereas the Beartooth is free.
Ride safe!

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Are you talking about the Cdn Glacier Park or the US one? (I know, they are connected...).

We love riding Going to the Sun, in the US one.

Like many of the NP's it's best to ride when not in peak tourist season. NP pass a full price is a great deal if you plan on visiting a bunch of them. One pass gets both our bikes into as many NP's as we can ride in almost 13 months (the 12 month window starts at the end of the month purchased, so if bought say Sept 5th, then pass would be good until end of Sept the following year).

When we go that far west, we always ride through visit multiple NP's so we think the pass is excellent value. A little unfortunate we aren't eligible for the lifetime one.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Are you talking about the Cdn Glacier Park or the US one? (I know, they are connected...).

We love riding Going to the Sun, in the US one.

Like many of the NP's it's best to ride when not in peak tourist season. NP pass a full price is a great deal if you plan on visiting a bunch of them. One pass gets both our bikes into as many NP's as we can ride in almost 13 months (the 12 month window starts at the end of the month purchased, so if bought say Sept 5th, then pass would be good until end of Sept the following year).

When we go that far west, we always ride through visit multiple NP's so we think the pass is excellent value. A little unfortunate we aren't eligible for the lifetime one.
The Canadian Glacier National Park is no where near the USA Glacier National Park. Check your maps so you don't get lost! ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts