GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're headed to Glacier Nat'l park for a week in Sept. Looking for any ride tips, roads to ride, places to stay, and must sees anywhere in the area. Flathead lake??? I do plan on including a ride over Lolo pass either coming or going. Any other ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
we are going Sunday. it has been a very fast decision and have no planning. just head'n up and back over 9 days from Colorado Springs, so I'll be watching this thread - for two days anyway. I'll let you know any cool stuff we find along the way.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Doc! Hoping to get more feedback.:thumbup:

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
I was up there just last week. Rode in on Hiway 12 (had to stop at the sign that read "Curvy road next 99 miles) for picture taking, natch) and it was great as always. Spent the night in Missoula before heading up to the park. After my buddy and I got a few miles in the park the traffic was stopped due to an bizarre accident. It seems that a woman on the back of a Harley got hit in the head with a falling rock and no, was not wearing a helmet. They stopped all traffic while waiting on a meat wagon and later Lifeflight to get her to a hospital. Good news she was OK, bad news that it ruined our 1st day there. Stayed at Motel 6 in Kalispell were there seemed to be more bikes than cars. Rode back to the park on the next day and this time we make it to the top and back out the other side but had to wait many times for construction delays. It was drizzling and cold (don't forget your rain gear!) near the top and very foggy which made picture taking futile.

But, like any good ride we got there and back home again safe. I am not sure that I would do it again unless I knew that the weather was going to be good up the mountain and there were going to be no construction delays. But we still had a good time and that is what matters.

Hope you too have a good and safe ride and tell us all about it when you get back!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Route to take

What's the best routes to take from Glacier, too LOLO Pass, to west gate in Yellowstone? Good roads and scenic. Is LOLO Pass worth seeing?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is LOLO Pass worth seeing?
Not to be missed!!! Cant' help much with the routing from Glacier though.

Come on you guys, I know some of you know that area very well.:shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Take a ride around Flat HEAD (edited to correct!) Lake... (I think that's the name) Pretty! Also ride Going to the Sun both ways... it is two different rides. Construction delays are the norm, just be patient. It is well worth the wait!:thumbup:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Dr. Jim,
Spontaneous is the most fun. Take some Video please. We enjoy what you have done in the past. Have a great ride. 9 days should be OK.
Good weather for you 2.:thumbup:

David
HondaMortch

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Scott, I just finished a trip to the Northwest that included a ride down Lolo Pass (Hwy 12).

If you are looking for a great place to stay on Hwy 12, may I suggest the Konkolville Motel in Orofino? This is a really great Mom & Pop motel that is an older, but very well maintained and very clean property. If you stay there, be sure to include the steak dinner that they do right on their nice patio. It's $13.50 per person and worth every penny! Joe & Sherry Chapman are the owners/hosts and the place is VERY motorcycle friendly. I met other riders from all over the U.S. and Canada while I was there. At the suggestion of a friend, I spent an extra night on the road just so I could stay here and I'm glad I did. Any time I am in the area again, I'll be staying here. No, I'm not affiliated with the motel or related to the Chapman's, just a very satisfied guest.

If you are looking for a good place to eat while riding Lolo Pass, the "Wilderness Inn" in Lowell, ID is a great little restaurant. They have excellent home style food and big burgers at reasonable prices and a friendly staff. Fun place! Be sure to put a pin in the map on the wall to show where you're from.

Also, the suggestion to ride around Flathead Lake just south of Kalispell is a good one! It' a beautiful ride and Highways 93 and 35 go completely around the lake. If you have the time, you'll enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The problem with Lolo is that you have to travel the middle of Eastern Wa to get there, and time is an issue, usually. I prefer to smoke straight to Missoula on I-90 if I want to do Glacier.

If you want to do Lolo, then go it downhill, on the way back, much better that direction.

If you have passports I would cross Glacier into Canada and come home via their Hwy 3... there are many border crossings, but I like the one at Nighthawk, crossing to Omak.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I will stay tuned to this thread as Glacier is on my Bucket-List.

·
Registered
686 Posts
What's the best routes to take from Glacier, too LOLO Pass, to west gate in Yellowstone? Good roads and scenic. Is LOLO Pass worth seeing?

Thanks
Lolo Pass is one of the best rides in this corner of the U.S.

Just be sure to fill your bike's tank when you can (not quite as much of an issue with a Wing, but still...)

·
Registered
190 Posts
We're headed to Glacier Nat'l park for a week in Sept. Looking for any ride tips, roads to ride, places to stay, and must sees anywhere in the area. Flathead lake??? I do plan on including a ride over Lolo pass either coming or going. Any other ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
We did a loop from Missoula through Glacier up to Lake Louise and Jasper, BC the first week in Sept. last year. Epic! We really enjoyed our over night stay in Coeur d' Alene on the way back to Missoula. Just east on route 90 (Pine Hurst exit) we took a road less traveled (Prospect Creek Rd.) over Thompson Pass to Route 200 Thompson Falls. Great road. Route 200 east brings you to Route 93 just above Missoula. 93 North will bring you to Kalispell. Although we did stay in Kalispell I'd suggest Whitefish.

If your interested I have a PDF map of our entire trip that will give you an alternate route back through Alberta and BC Canada. Just PM me. Rain gear and cold weather clothing are a must. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I have not been on Going to the Sun Road since I was about 7 years old. Which is less scary? East to west or west to east?

·
Registered
428 Posts

Thanks
One word. YES.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Lolo

:yes1: a ride NOT to miss.....many years ago but have fond lasting memories....it is just one of those rides that will always be at the top of your memories...:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Just got back from Glacier yesterday via Lolo Pass. Road is in good shape except for about 5 or 10 miles that is under repair, grooved pavement is a little scary but after a few miles you get used to it. Other wise it is a quiet peaceful ride. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The problem with Lolo is that you have to travel the middle of Eastern Wa to get there, and time is an issue, usually. I prefer to smoke straight to Missoula on I-90 if I want to do Glacier.

Come on, lighten up, central & eastern Washington have their beauty too.
Just ask, I wouldn't have moved back here from the foggy Or coast.
Funny you said that, a friend of mine rode highway 26 from 395 to Colfax and told me it didn't go anywhere!
Just the same we love it where the traffic is light and you get to ride 100 miles to go some place else.. :thumbup::nojoke:

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have not been on Going to the Sun Road since I was about 7 years old. Which is less scary? East to west or west to east?
East to West would put you further from the drop off. But I wouldn't say that it is real scary either way. Normal care will suffice. Well worth doing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts