GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been to Glacier, but I just got a week and two weekends (probably my last this year) and we are head'n up there Sunday. I do not have any plans, don't know where we'll stay, guess I'll just get to the part entrance, get a map and play it by ear (and tires).

Sometimes that is the best way... eh?

but any suggestions are welcome. Our total round trip will be about 2,500 miles, up there, then back down through Idaho and Utah and across Colorado back home.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I wont say I'm not jealous - cause I am. :) Enjoy the trip, and the fact that you are Winging it - both literally and figuratively. Improving on a trip like that with no real pressing deadline is a great way to go!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. typically I have things pretty planned, but some of the best stuff has been seen or experienced on the fly. so winging / winging it, is right.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Dr. Jim...I suggest you get a camera and practice doing videos while up there...:rolleyes:

Seriously, please keep those videos coming! Really enjoy viewing them.

AG GL

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do need practice.

SHOT a HOLE BUNCH of video in WY last month. 14,14A in the Big horns, Chief and Beartooth from several camera perspectives, Yellowstone etc.

so I will be rolling in Glacier... thanks.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I do need practice.

SHOT a HOLE BUNCH of video in WY last month. 14,14A in the Big horns, Chief and Beartooth from several camera perspectives, Yellowstone etc.

so I will be rolling in Glacier... thanks.
Yes, and it was very good!
I hope you are able to spend more time at Glacier than I did in '06 as it is beautiful. Would sure like to see the Canadian version before too long...
Ride safe!

AG GL

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I rode up to Glacier NP last September from Grand Junction, CO. Stayed one night in Idaho Falls and then went on to Missoula, MT for a few days.

There is a lot of work going on and from a safety standpoint you may want to enter the park from the East end. By doing so, you will always have the mountain on your right side which will lessen the risk of being run off the road and down the mountain.

I expect that there will be many many more tourists than I encountered last September and you may find easier accomodations in Missoula.......a great base for some other GREAT roads such as LOLO pass etc.

I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Missoula. It is at 4805 North Reserve...only a mile or so off the expressway and right next door to the Montana Club (a very nice restaurant).

:thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dr. Jim
Leaving southern Indiana in the morning for Glacier. It will take us a few days, maybe four, to get there. I've never been there and I'm sure looking forward to seeing it's beauty. If you see a black '08 and a light green BMW LT, give us a wave.
Are you really a Dr? If so, if you see a black '08 with a guy laying beside it all curled up, that will be me and my kidney stone. You could stop and tell me I'm crazy for making the trip or roll me off the edge of a cliff or something. I can't get it fixed for a couple of weeks anyway so I'm determined to make this trip. Looked forward to it for way too long to give up now.
Have a great trip!!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Grampa; we're staying in both Kalispell and Missoula and we'll have to come on on the W side. but we're going to do the over and back, so half will be from E to W. after the Glacier run, we're heading down to Missoula and then do LOLO once or maybe twice.

as for construction, can't live with it, can't live without it. I"m glad it was "shovel ready".

and Sky Doggie, if I see you I'll sure Wave (we are two white wings), and if I see you writhing in pain on the road, I'll stop and determine if you can be fixed or just give you a push. :lol: My wife also has this problem also and we always carry a "Stone Kit" everywhere, so she can get both pain relief and open her ureters so pass the stones etc. when she gets one I've never seen anyone in so much writhing pain.

push the fluids and ask your doc about some meds to take along in case you feel one coming on.

we'll be sure to wave.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Was there about 2 weeks ago. Scenery is awsome. The "going to the sun road" through Logan's pass is incredible. The pass just opened for the season July 13th. Latest opening in many years. Lots of snow right down to the road edge. Lots of construction but gives you a chance to get off and take pictures. Cherry season in full swing in Flathead Valley south of Kalispel. Have only ever stayed in Kalispel and Whitefish.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Jim, we lived in Great Falls for 15 years. Our favorite area over there is Flathead Lake, specifically the Bigfork and Polson area. The view from the KOA in Polson is stunning. Have fun!

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Gnp

Jim,

Glad to see you're making another attempt. It doesn't look like your time table will be right for it, but if you end up on the East side for dinner time, make the effort to go north on 89 to the Two-sisters restaurant. From the looks of your timetable you won't be on the east side at dinner time, but if it works out that way, it's always good to have a plan. There's a great little breakfast/lunch place just north of St. Marys if thats the schedule. Good luck with the weather. I still have to get back and see what the upper half looks like.

Richard

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am SURE that Going To The Sun road is awesome and leads to beautiful scenery, However... the delays are also amazing. we made it over half way over to the east side then all came to a grinding stop and word was between a half hour to FOUR hour stop. we were on a pretty good incline on gravel with cars on our tail etc. we pulled the plug, turned them around (gingerly) and we headed back to West Village. I did get some nice video of several of those sections. BUT so as not to disappoint my growing video fans (I'm up to 12 now) I rented a helicopter, took the bid HD video cam and did a one hour tour all the way up to the Canadian border.

Pretty awesome video and that will be edited somehow into the ride video (as if the wing sprouted wings I guess).

anyway, Flat head, Whitefish etc. were very nice.

tomorrow we're headed over to Missoula in order to do Lolo pass over to Lewiston ID, then back. Long day of twisties and scenery but after the Going To The Sun dissapointment, will be nice. So I should come back with good video for a Glacier and a Lolo pass video story.

cheers. :thumbup:

BTW: IF you are coming this way I would HIGHLY recommend you get up very early, hit the parks when they open at 7 AM, and go from East village to West village first thing, I talked to some bikers who did that this morning and they said the waits were not too bad. Still lots of gravel on the road, but doable.

IMHO, Glacier is really a hiking park, as there is SOOO much to see that is not any where near a road. GTTS road may be a engineering marvel, but it is not a MC road in my definition!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad I checked this thread tonight, we're taking this ride in the morning. We are heading from east to west and will get started early. Hate to hear about the gravel though. Oh well, everything can't perfect all the time.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am at present in Bend OR and have had fabulous weather and great riding all over this State.Leaving this weekend for Flathead lake where We will spend a week and from the above posts attempt to ride the Going to the Sun Road.After that Missoula for Lola Pass and 12.

·
Registered
92 Posts
:agree:
I am SURE that Going To The Sun road is awesome and leads to beautiful scenery, However... the delays are also amazing. we made it over half way over to the east side then all came to a grinding stop and word was between a half hour to FOUR hour stop. we were on a pretty good incline on gravel with cars on our tail etc. we pulled the plug, turned them around (gingerly) and we headed back to West Village. I did get some nice video of several of those sections. BUT so as not to disappoint my growing video fans (I'm up to 12 now) I rented a helicopter, took the bid HD video cam and did a one hour tour all the way up to the Canadian border.

Pretty awesome video and that will be edited somehow into the ride video (as if the wing sprouted wings I guess).

anyway, Flat head, Whitefish etc. were very nice.

tomorrow we're headed over to Missoula in order to do Lolo pass over to Lewiston ID, then back. Long day of twisties and scenery but after the Going To The Sun dissapointment, will be nice. So I should come back with good video for a Glacier and a Lolo pass video story.

cheers. :thumbup:

BTW: IF you are coming this way I would HIGHLY recommend you get up very early, hit the parks when they open at 7 AM, and go from East village to West village first thing, I talked to some bikers who did that this morning and they said the waits were not too bad. Still lots of gravel on the road, but doable.

IMHO, Glacier is really a hiking park, as there is SOOO much to see that is not any where near a road. GTTS road may be a engineering marvel, but it is not a MC road in my definition!

·
Registered
92 Posts
going to the sun road

the wife and i went to east glacier. we took the red jammer bus on the going to the sun road. i love to ride mc,but that bus ride was so relaxing as i could take pictures out the top of the bus and just be a tourist.
dan

·
Registered
68 Posts
We will be leaving Yellowstone in the morning for Glacier.Can't wait to see every thing.If you see a dark red trike pulling a red trailer that will be me, I'll wave.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Dr Jim, why isn't GTTS a good motorcycle road, we were thinking of going there next summer. We've done Yellowstone and all around Colorado so were think Glacier but if it's not a good motorcycle park we will replan things

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Glacier NP, just got an unexpected week off, head'n up there...
Man O Man, what did you do at work to be punished that bad?

:thumbup::joke::yes1:

Hope you are enjoying yourself. Or am I late and you are home already. If so, hope you enjoyed yourself. Need pics.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts