GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left the Wing in the garage and took the KLR650 to town. At the stop sign at the end of the street a young (15) kid rode a bicycle past the intersection just before I got the there. I made the stop and then the right turn and idled up behind him, a car past from the other direction, and the he decided to make a u-turn in front of me. I hit the brakes and turned as I smacked into him. I dropped the bike and did a filp onto my head. He fell on top of my bike. He jumped up as I crawled to my feet. He started to ride off. I stopped him, WE picked up the KLR as his mom drove up. She saw what happened. She began to yell at him and he began to cry.
No one was hurt much. I'm a little sore, I scraped my knee, and the KLR is almost ok. I called the office (I'm a Deputy) to report the incident for the log.
What would have happend if I had been on the Wing. A 900 pound bike would have made a big difference on me and the kid, plus my 2010 Wing with less than 1000 miles would have seen some damage.
Glad I could vent here.....
Ride save my friends, all it takes is a little boggle and things can change...
Tracker

·
Registered
55 Posts
I left the Wing in the garage and took the KLR650 to town. At the stop sign at the end of the street a young (15) kid rode a bicycle past the intersection just before I got the there. I made the stop and then the right turn and idled up behind him, a car past from the other direction, and the he decided to make a u-turn in front of me. I hit the brakes and turned as I smacked into him. I dropped the bike and did a filp onto my head. He fell on top of my bike. He jumped up as I crawled to my feet. He started to ride off. I stopped him, WE picked up the KLR as his mom drove up. She saw what happened. She began to yell at him and he began to cry.
No one was hurt much. I'm a little sore, I scraped my knee, and the KLR is almost ok. I called the office (I'm a Deputy) to report the incident for the log.
What would have happend if I had been on the Wing. A 900 pound bike would have made a big difference on me and the kid, plus my 2010 Wing with less than 1000 miles would have seen some damage.
Glad I could vent here.....
Ride save my friends, all it takes is a little boggle and things can change...
Tracker
Sure glad u are alright,but u should have smack the little bugger

·
Registered
596 Posts
She saw what happened. She began to yell at him and he began to cry.
Wow! She yelled at him?

That's kind of unusual ;)

Glad nobody was hurt bad.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Were you in uniform? If so, that's probably why Mom yelled at the little bugger.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Yeah, lucky you were on the KLR. If you were on the Wing, you woulda had to shoot the kid. :twisted:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Glad you're OK albeit a little banged up. I watch for kids on bikes in my neighborhood all the time because they will act impulsively on a bike. Glad things didn't end up really bad.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Also glad you are OK!

People on pedal bikes make me very nervous. They want all the rights of the road but don’t follow the rules. Adults are as bad as kids.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Bummer. Glad everyone's okay... relatively speaking.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Glad it wasn't too serious for either one of you. By the sound of this the bicycle rider was a fairly young and hopefully he takes a serious lesson from this. Judging from the fact that mom yelled at him he'll likely be reminded for a while how stupid he was for turning through a traffic lane without looking first. It could have been much more serious and I agree, the wing would have been much less forgiving.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I almost hit one a couple of months ago. He did a U turn right in front of me. I was able to stop the bike just inches from hitting him. One of the drawbacks for having a very QUIET engine. The kid said he never heard me coming. I had an adult bike rider turn right in front of me on a two lane road a week later and I almost creamed him. Now I toot the horn if I see someone on a bicycle riding in front of me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Did the brats mom offer or agree to pay for the damage to your bike?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys. Getting a little sore now as the night goes on. Old guys don't do well when they fall down.
I was not in uniform, but the kid and his family are distant neighbors and we have both lived in the same area for years so they know I am a deputy. The Mom did offer to pay for damages but I declined. I was most concerned about the kid at the time. He was shook up and crying.
As the day progressed I decided to make an offical report of the incident to the State Patrol, just to make sure. Never hurts to cover the bases.
I have inspected the KLR and the clutch lever will need replacing, but I think I can straighten the shift lever. Even if not, the total cost will be less than 50 bucks.
They say "there are those who have wrecked, and those that will wreck"
Hope this is as bad as it gets for me.
Thanks to everyone for their concerns.
Ride safe..........
Tracker

1 - 14 of 14 Posts