GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To anyone thinking about saving a few dollars by putting a regular non-run-flat CTon their bike: Listen up:

I have posted my opinion on this scenario a few times in a nice way. Mainly because I have good friends, most of them very experienced and/or skilled 1800 riders who are using a NRF. And that is their right. It's their a**, their bike, their decision and I'm good with that.

Here is what is different: I have decided that I will make a concentrated effort to educate any and all thinking of going dark to the fact that while a NRF is safer than most of the Motto tires folks use, they are inferior to a RF. Inferior in the way that many have gone to a CT, safety.

Any RF CT can be ridden for many miles at reasonable speeds to be repaired and/or replaced. The sidewalls will support the weight of the bike and of passenger(s). A NRF "WILL NOT", period.

What are the chances that while you are cruising the interstate or back roads with your wife of having a sudden and rapid loss of air? Probably pretty slim........but if you do, you want a tire that will let you get to the side of the road without drama and on into the next town.

A non-RF CT in that scenario may very well put the two off you down at worst and fill your pants and give you sore arm muscles for a few days in the least.

Those that sing their praises say they handle better or more like a bike tire. SO FRIGGIN WHAT? The majority of 1800 owners use them for what they are designed for, touring. My 200k miles plus on many different CTs, including a couple of NRFs, tells me the difference is very small and not a factor for 98% of 1800 owners.

Isn't your safety and the safety of your passenger worth the extra 50 bucks? If it isn't, I've wasted my time trying to convince you.

I'm sure you'll hear more from me, as I see chances to convince people to use a safer rear tire. Isn't that the reason almost a thousand right here on this forum have gone dark to begin with?

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I rode a Toyo nrf it sucked would run a M/T before one of those. My Michelin ROF handles great as of now will stick with it best one i have run so far.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to hear that things are not going well at home.

That said, I agree.
Thanks, Jim. Things at home are great, but you knew that. :lol:

I guess it's been building for a while, then, today I read about a new Darksider starting a mutli-thousand-mile trip with wife and trailer to Alaska on his 50-dollar-cheaper NRF. :eek:4::roll: It pushed me over the edge.

I just decided that the uninformed needed some more and correct info.

Say, Hi, to your lovely lady for me.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
No fuss from me. I have been trying to convince folks of this for a long time.

The very reason to run a Car Tire was originally quite simply due to the invention of the ROF CT. It provided a very workable and safe option for the GL1800. Many of us had ran other tires on bikes like the Valk previously, but the ROF turned us loose with a safe reliable tire. Not to say the tires like the triple tread were not safe, for sure they were a credit to the MC tire. But the ROF just took it to the top level.

It takes very little extra skill and just a bit of getting used to one to actually become totally comfortable with one and in a couple of months actually become so used to it, the bike becomes a part of you.

So the ROF was finally a very, very safe and reliable tire. Long ago we fought the fight against the naysayers daily and gradually the use of a CT on the Wing become fairly normal and accepted by many. There are quite a few riders who do run a CT who have no wish to even enter the fray on a forum. So it has become fairly common.

We fought the wars of no tread on the road, the tipping tire, and the insurance situations and on and on. All disproved. All nonsense.

Then as we grew we began to see deterioration from within, from things like running tires so hard you wore them out in 3K miles. And those who would wish to save a few bucks by the use of a NRF tire. Or declare one gets better performance from some of them. (well you got me a little on that one cause that is true) But by doing so it was a step backwards in time and the original intent was gone. The safety aspect was not considered.

The average rider does not ride very hard. They have no desire to and would instead simply like to enjoy the bike, go for a nice easy ride, tour the country and see the country, and stay safe. It is much better to concentrate on being a defensive safe rider than any other thing out there. So for the ordinary rider and his wife or S/O the ROF CT provides a safe and reliable option to the crappy MC tires out there for these heavy bikes.

I guess it is the world, it gets bigger and as the CT popularity grows so does the differences of opinion and the original reason of running a safe tire got lost in the shuffle.

The most honest and heartfelt statement I can make is very simple. A ROF CT does provide a very safe alternative for any rider and especially for couples out to enjoy the bike on tour or for a weekend ride. It totally eliminates any possibility of a tire accident that will cause the bike to go down . That is the safe aspect of the ROF.

As for those who pull up statistics of a ROF failing on a Car and with a ROF developing problems on a bike, all that I am aware of were caused by the user. If you run a tire till the cords show..........duh.........nuff said about that.

A ROF is a safe way, the very best alternative that we know of at this time.

Use it or not, your choice, but I for one cannot comprehend the reason you would not, especially if your wife is with you on a ride, or going cross country. Heck just a daily ride could turn deadly from a MC tire that is not load rated for the way the bike is being used.

As for that performance thing, well I have tamed down a lot, but if I want to, and I feel good and I am in full gear, I bet ya, you might just find that a ROF can burn the twisties better than most can run a round tire. So it is a moot point for the couple riding safe and sane, attention on traffic and just out to enjoy the day. For them the ROF is the best deal in town. It is the tire that is safe. It is the reason we went to the ROF to begin with. It is the only reason that I understand.

Respectfully

Kit

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
..I just decided that the uninformed needed some more and correct info.
here here... just like the old days :thumbup:
:)

It just ticks me off when ill informed people
(even well intentioned ones)
continue to stand on indefensible ground in the face
of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Dennis

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I never entertained the thought of putting nothing but a run flat on the back. That was the idea of going to the Darkside, Safety of the runflat.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Could you tell us how you really feel???:joke:

Before you have a blood pressure spike, I am a recent convert to the darkside, yes I am running a NRF, I will try a RF when this one wears out.

I have survived 2 high speed sudden loss of pressure riding on Motorcycles, skill and a lot of luck saw me through those experiences. Definitely not fun!

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Thanks for your insight on the subject Trialsman. Even though I am a NRF guy, there is nothing wrong with what you are saying! BUT!

:lol::lol::lol:No Buts, I'm just having a little fun here, 200,000 miles, can't argue with that!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
:agree: Trialsman....

·
IronMan
17,846 Posts
( SOMEONE ) :eek:4: POSTED VIDIEO OF A NON RUN FLAT WITH BEAD LOCK STAYED UP WITH NO AIR :shrug: I RUN A RF JUST SAYING OTHER CHOICES STILL BETTER THAN MC TIRE

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
( SOMEONE ) :eek:4: POSTED VIDIEO OF A NON RUN FLAT WITH BEAD LOCK STAYED UP WITH NO AIR :shrug: I RUN A RF JUST SAYING OTHER CHOICES STILL BETTER THAN MC TIRE
What is a bead lock?? Just wondering is all, kinda curious what a bead lock is.

I always thought a bead lock was those metal bands you bolted on the rims, for use on jeeps, ATV vehicles and such, for off road low tire pressure use.

Never seen a bead lock on any ROF or NRF. (used on a street motorcycle) Some tires have a little raised rubber area to protect the tire from scuffs on cars, such as rubbing the curb and so on.

But that is not a bead lock.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
What is a bead lock?? Just wondering is all, kinda curious what a bead lock is.

I always thought a bead lock was those metal bands you bolted on the rims, for use on jeeps, ATV vehicles and such, for off road low tire pressure use.

Never seen a bead lock on any ROF or NRF. (used on a street motorcycle) Some tires have a little raised rubber area to protect the tire from scuffs on cars, such as rubbing the curb and so on.

But that is not a bead lock.
:agree: every tire I have bought Falken, Hankook, Sunny, it said with "rim protection", not bead lock.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Run Flat

Trialsman and Kit,

I agree and thank you both for your opinions on the main reason for installing a CT on any motorcycle, that being SAFETY! :agree:

Before I made the switch to a CT, I read all the comments on this board and decided the only way I would know was to try it for myself. I bought and installed a Pirelli that I am running now. For me, it has been a great success. I have a Khumo ready to try the next go round. For any that don't know, both of these are run flat tires. For me and mine SAFETY is very important! :thumbup:

It is great that we have the freedom of choice to pursue our lifestyle as we each see fit. I have made mine and don't ever see going back to a MT.

Thanks again, Ride Safe and God Bless.

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Paul , you know I have always looked forward to your input on Gl1800 matters. This is your choice to educate fellow board members indeed. We have also chatted several times as to why I feel the way I do about non run flats. I agree with you on most of what you stated above. Most Gl1800 riders use there bikes for touring and I agree % 100 that a run flat is the very best choice for them. I also agree that if a non run flat losses air rapidly it will take a strong ,good skilled rider to stay out of harms way. But what I believe you are confused about is that most people are capable of making a decision that is right for them. This is why I do not tell anybody what to do on any matters. I do not know anybody else's capabilities of anything. I honestly tell people only when asked the same as I typed above. I often suggested when pressed a Kumho tire is the best for them, but totally let them decide for themselves. There is more than enough info on this forum for anybody to make a decision for themselves I believe. I do not want to start a pissing match again by any means. I have done this with Kit and do not want this again. Mainly because it's a huge waste of my time and I would rather be riding than arguing. Ok now that I stated my deal is breakfast time. ;) Randy

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Paul.Honestly you should know better-You are wasting you time.I agree with you.
Randy has a point too "If they can't make up their mind with all the information of this board" then that's their problem.:shrug:

I don't post here anymore because of what you both said in general.

I went from a MT to a BMT for safety.Why anyone would choose anything but the best they can get for their & passengers safety is not my concern anymore.

I tried to help with information in the past/present,what people do with that information is out of my hands.lol

My stance now is:

Choose your tires as if you life depends on it-Because it does!:22yikes:

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Another 'amen' from the choir.

Our Summer Solstice Saddle Sore ride on Tuesday took us to places where there were either 1) no services for many miles and/or 2) mountain passes in the Sierra Nevadas with 10 mph hairpin turns with no shoulders and no guardrails. Never once gave a though about my Kumho -- other than smiling as I carved the corners!

Does motorcycle riding include potential risks? Yup.
Is there a way to minimize those risks? Yup.

Is it a matter of choice? Well, it is for me.

YMMV.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I never entertained the thought of putting nothing but a run flat on the back. That was the idea of going to the Darkside, Safety of the runflat.
:agree:

I'm a newbie and RF sealed the deal for me too. I considered going dark a few years leading up but the crash & burn issues scared me off. Luckily surviving a sudden rear flat on a different (and lighter) tour bike years back always had me concerned about the outcome if that ever happened on my Wing? So this aspect of safety is my primary reason for now going dark. And I don't think I'm compromising that in other ways based on the testimony of others on this forum. Yes there is a slightly different feel (to me) on how my Wing handles but I'm quicky getting accustomed and it probably helped that I started riding this season with the CT from the get go. The ride quality is extremely improved and I think the CT compliments the other handling & suspension "upgrades" I've done. Stability feels better in at least moderate cross wind also. Experimenting with air pressures I think I'm at or very close to my personal sweet spot with 32 both rear & front (G709). So far so good and overall I'm much happier with my pre-owned 03 Wing that was franky quite miserable when I bought it back in 07. I'm glad I kept the faith and worked my way through it.

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Paul.Honestly you should know better-You are wasting you time.I agree with you.
Randy has a point too "If they can't make up their mind with all the information of this board" then that's their problem.:shrug:
Choose your tires as if you life depends on it-Because it does!:22yikes:
:thumbup: ;) have a great day fellow riders . Breakfast is done and sun is shining time for a ride :coffee1:

1 - 20 of 108 Posts