GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '08 and the heated grips are smooth enough that the throttle grip keeps trying to rotate back to home position under my gloves. I have to constantly "re-grip" to keep a comfortable wrist position. Tightening up gets uncomfortable after a short while.

In warm weather I wear those cheap work gloves with the wrinkled rubber palms and fingers. (The palms look like those dodge balls you had back in 6th grade gym class, remember?) They are so poorly/inconsistently made that you have to try on 10 pair just to find some that fit all your fingers the same but, man do they grip! I don't think there's another type glove in the world that provides that much grip. They're also cold as hell so I can't wear them in cooler weather.

I have a large collection of gloves that didn't make the grade. Mink oil on the gloves works for a day or so but I think it makes the bike's grips slipperier so it's kind of a wash.

I've tried Grip Puppies and wasn't satisfied with the grippiness and theyre too big around.

I'm considering trying pine tar like for baseball bats. That could get a little messy.

Any reccomendations for a warm gauntlet glove with a really "sticky" palm?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Just head over to the nearest HD shop and pick up a throttle rocker(about $10). I use them on all my bikes. Would not ride without one.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Just head over to the nearest HD shop and pick up a throttle rocker(about $10). I use them on all my bikes. Would not ride without one.
I've got Throttle Rockers on all 4 of my bikes, but even that slips on my Goldwing. I have tried it with the rubber band thing it comes with and without but it still slips. I agree with the grip being slippery. I'm trying to find a solution for my Throttle Rocker slipping.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
It might look like crap, dunno, but what about that stuff they wrap golf club handles with...or even that stuff they wrap baseball bats with?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a big fan of those, too. I use a Cramp Buster and wouldn't be without it. I've even posted it in some "all time best farkles" threads. But, one day in some tight twisties, in 2nd gear, I reached for the front brake while diving into a blind left corner, caught the cuff of my jacket on the Cramp Buster and it shot me right into the oncoming lane! If there had been a car coming I wouldn't be here now!!

I'm more carefull about using it in heavy freeway traffic now.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It might look like crap, dunno, but what about that stuff they wrap golf club handles with...or even that stuff they wrap baseball bats with?
That's a good thought. I'll check it out. I don't care what it looks like 'cause I'll have my hand over it! :thumbup:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yes Sofadriver.....I forgot to post that I do in fact remove them if I'm planning on some fun riding in the hills, because as you said, the throttle rocker can get in the way while doing a lot of back and forth cornering. That is also a nice thing about them; simply loosend the velcro and it slides off the end of the grip and can stay in your pocket untill you are ready to use it again. Takes 5 seconds to remove and 30 seconds to put it back on and adjust it you your fit.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
one of these days, when I get deep enough into the "innerds" I'll see how many springs are on the throttle return. I figure Honda decided how many were required then the lawyers made them add one more! I can fix that!

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
one of these days, when I get deep enough into the "innerds" I'll see how many springs are on the throttle return. I figure Honda decided how many were required then the lawyers made them add one more! I can fix that!

If you don't care about looks,try looking for the black anti skid tape they put on stairs.(Home depot etc).
It doesn't look bad if you find it in different sizes..You can cut it length wise and put it on your grip.
It isn't very thick,so you won't be adding girth to your stock grip..Just another thought.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you don't care about looks,try looking for the black anti skid tape they put on stairs.(Home depot etc).
It doesn't look bad if you find it in different sizes..You can cut it length wise and put it on your grip.
It isn't very thick,so you won't be adding girth to your stock grip..Just another thought.
Hmmmmm................and there's a Home Depot right down the street........

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
I have an '08 and the heated grips are smooth enough that the throttle grip keeps trying to rotate back to home position under my gloves. I have to constantly "re-grip" to keep a comfortable wrist position. Tightening up gets uncomfortable after a short while.

In warm weather I wear those cheap work gloves with the wrinkled rubber palms and fingers. (The palms look like those dodge balls you had back in 6th grade gym class, remember?) They are so poorly/inconsistently made that you have to try on 10 pair just to find some that fit all your fingers the same but, man do they grip! I don't think there's another type glove in the world that provides that much grip. They're also cold as hell so I can't wear them in cooler weather.

I have a large collection of gloves that didn't make the grade. Mink oil on the gloves works for a day or so but I think it makes the bike's grips slipperier so it's kind of a wash.

I've tried Grip Puppies and wasn't satisfied with the grippiness and theyre too big around.

I'm considering trying pine tar like for baseball bats. That could get a little messy.

Any reccomendations for a warm gauntlet glove with a really "sticky" palm?
Yes. Get a can of spray-on contact cement. Apply a light dusting of the cement to the palm of your glove and let dry.

This trick works like a champ. I learned it from antique motorcycle collectors; some old bikes have "hard rubber" grips that become highly polished with use and can be very slippery. This is how they cure the problem without modifying the bike.

·
Registered
353 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lots of innovative ideas! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I have a cramp buster on both my bikes and, yes, I sometimes hook one with my jacket sleeve. That turns the throttle off - not on. Also, I think they make two different lengths - (as usual) I've got the short one.

·
Crazy Northerner
8,621 Posts
I use a pair of buckskin gloves. They will fit to your hand very well, are extremely soft and recover from being wet very well also. They seem to have just the right amount of tackiness to hold the grip very well.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dude, you're a genius! I tried it and it works GREAT!!! If that was just an idea that came to mind and you haven't tried it, YOU NEED TO! The stuff I found at Lowes came in 2 1/2" strips so I cut 1" strips from that. I've seen it in 1" strips before. Its a little tricky to use since it doesn't like to bend side to side and tears pretty easily. Since the wing's grips are tapered it takes a few tries to get the hang of it.
It's made to sit out in the elements and is pretty sticky but I put some strategically placed plastic ties on each end just to make sure it doesn't start to unravel.

I turned on the heaters and the heat came right thru as normal.

Time will tell how well it stays on, but for now this is about the best "neat idea" I've heard of in a long time. TRY IT! :thumbup:

The grip is terrific !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts