GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The little nipple on the bottom of the right hand side cover broke off. I have the little piece, about 1/2" long. Is there anyway to repair this so that it will hold or is it a lost cause? The side cover is very "wobbly" and flops around without this nipple pushed into the rubber grommet. Help!!!

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my '01 about 5 yrs. ago. I also had that little piece that broke off so I used some JB Weld to fasten it back on. Has been on the panel ever since the repair.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I used JB Weld too. Set it up a little thick then ground around the neck for a good fit.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Gorilla Glue also works well on plastic.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I get this stuff at Ace Hardware..It is stronger than the original ABS.

BTW:
It's much stronger than the black ABS cement for plumbing at Home Depot that some use..

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
ABS glue is the single best thing to use on ABS plastic, and it will fuse the two pieces back together. Personally, I wouldn't use anything else.

You can find it in most hardware stores in the plumbing section. Get ABS only glue, don't get the ABS/PVC glue. It should be only for ABS, and is usually black in color.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
ABS glue is the single best thing to use on ABS plastic, and it will fuse the two pieces back together. Personally, I wouldn't use anything else.

You can find it in most hardware stores in the plumbing section. Get ABS only glue, don't get the ABS/PVC glue. It should be only for ABS, and is usually black in color.
I guess Fred used to assemble models when he was a kid just like me.:lol: I agree, use ABS glue.

·
Registered
87 Posts
plastic repair

JB Weld is a good strong universal product. I've had much better luck with the 24 hr cure, NOT the Quick Set. Only problem with the longer set time- it heats up from the chemical reaction and tries to run- have to work with it sometimes if you want a thick bead.
I've used it on plastic- even patched the bottom of a diesel tank on an old tractor once using an aluminum sheet from a soft drink can after applying a generous layer.
I've never used the ABS glue.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I broke one on my 1500 and used the ABS cement available from Lowes. I owned the bike another 12 years and it was never a problem. Easy to apply and held up for an extended period. That was also the last time a forced a side cover is weather below 30.

·
Registered
999 Posts
If you get tired of attempting the glue route, try velcro dots.

Clean off the rubber grommet, stick one half of the dot on it, the other half on the cover. Has worked well for me..........

·
Registered
465 Posts
Know just how you feel, snapped mine off the other day also.:eek:4: Got alot of good tips for repair when I posted also. Haven't tried to fix it yet. Been to dam cold. I know I won't try to take it off again in sub zero temps. Good luck with your repair. Mike

2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glue not working

Okay, I tried the Devcon glue and the Ace ABS glue. Neither one is holding the piece on (there isn't much of a surface to glue). Looks like maybe the velcro idea will do the job best from Turbine Surgeon, never thought of that. I was going to try to drill a small hole in the remaining part on the cover and then try to use a screw with the head ground off to slide into the rubber grommet but then thought it would look bad.

I like the velcro idea. I am going to try the glue one more time with more "curing" time but if that don't work, the velcro should.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
The Devon epoxy takes longer to set up the thicker it's applied..

I use plumbers putty to create a mold.then mix/apply the epoxy,then use the putty to hold the epoxy where I want it to stay..

Once it's cured I use a dremmel tool with sanding drum to shape..

Let me tell you this story:

I first found this epoxy when I had my 1200,I knocked off a mirror in my carport..

I glued that mirror back together,and it never gave me any trouble for another two years..

Well along comes a 1500 and 8 months later this 1800,So I had to down size (DMV fee's were killing me),and having only 1 ass kind of told me to get rid of a couple bikes..
So being the person I am,I found a replacement stock mirror (Not a cheap emgo)on fleabay..

I took the glued mirror off and clamped the base in my vice..
I tried and tried to snap that thing off,and I finally gave up and put it back on...I had sanded and painted that mirror to look like it was when new too.

When I sold the 1200 I told the guy the story and gave him the fleabay mirror..I asked him to let me know if it ever breaks??

So don't give up on the Devon epoxy,it's darn good stuff when allowed to cure properly..

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
If you go with the Velcro, I recommend staying away from the "hook and loop" fabric velcro. There is a better more positive velcro like material.It is 3M Dual Lock. You may have seen it supplied for motorcycle protective lamp lens covers. Basically clear, it has identical sides of grippers. Really holds tight.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts