GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't about my GW, it's the SO's VTX 1300. The plastic tab that holds the rear tail light lense to the housing broke in half, it's a clean break. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good plastic cement or glue that is strong enough to hold the pieces of plastic together plus can handle heat from the bulb. I already tried JB weld but it didn't hold the 2 pieces of plastic together, any other ideas?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'd go with Krazy glue~

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
The 'wing is ABS plastic. I'd guess the VTX is, too. This plastic was once used in plumbing systems, so look for it at Lowe's or Home Depot. They have a GP plumbing cement that includes ABS on the label.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
The 'wing is ABS plastic. I'd guess the VTX is, too. This plastic was once used in plumbing systems, so look for it at Lowe's or Home Depot. They have a GP plumbing cement that includes ABS on the label.
The "plastic" lens in the lamps are not ABS! They are either acrylic or polycarbonate.
The tabs are usually fairly thin so they will slightly flex when snapped into position. Your best bet is to buy a new lens!

·
Registered
17,141 Posts
At best, any glue is gonna be just a temp patch-up and you need to order new parts as soon as possible. The VTX line is discontinued and OE parts will not be available indefinitiely and we have seen what happen to price on GL18 parts as they become scarce (if not familiar, search "chrome side cover" on this site).

prs

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
The "plastic" lens in the lamps are not ABS! They are either acrylic or polycarbonate.
The tabs are usually fairly thin so they will slightly flex when snapped into position. Your best bet is to buy a new lens!
+1

With the flexing, heating and cooling the glue will not hold. Just bite the bullet and replace the lens.

·
Registered
791 Posts
You should be able to glue a lens together with a plastic solvent cement and it will be nearly as strong as new. The solvent dissolves the plastic, welding it together. Epoxy or super glues do not bond nearly as well. You can find these glues at a hobby shop. The best one I have found is called Tenax 7R. Others are made by Plastruct and Testors. Be careful not to spill any on the lens itself as it will mar the surface.

Pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts