GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I am trying to decide on a GMRS radio to use with the GL2Way unit. So far, it seems that the Midland GXT1000 is superior to (or at least equal to) the Motorola MR350 in specifications and the GXT has very good industry and user reviews.

The only issue is that the Motorola has a USB port so that it could be run off of the GL1800 power bus but the Midland doesn't seem to have any provision for external power.

Also, there is no information as to whether either unit has a removable antenna. I would like to relocate the OEM antenna to the outside of the bike if possible.

Any advice about GMRS radios for use with the GL2Way on the GL1800 would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Vendor
445 Posts
Lee, the T series Motorola, such as the MOT-T9680RSAME, are a very durable radio, have a lot of features, cost a few more dollars, but use regular AAA batteries so that if you forget to recharge you can just put 3 AAA's in and go on. Pete has the cables for these.

·
Registered
72 Posts
GMRS radios

Lee, my buddy and I just got the gl2way radios for the flexibility of adding the fm systems as well as mp3 player. We looked at both of these radios from Amazon and are still in the wondering stage. Will be interested with what you come up with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Am wanting to intrgrate a GMRS system to my wing. Right now I am using the Motocomm SK-1000 unit external to communicate to others in our group. I would love to have a unit that would interface my audio system and use the PTT from the bike. Sounds like you may have this. Can you give me more information on what you have.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Greetings!

I am trying to decide on a GMRS radio to use with the GL2Way unit. So far, it seems that the Midland GXT1000 is superior to (or at least equal to) the Motorola MR350 in specifications and the GXT has very good industry and user reviews.

The only issue is that the Motorola has a USB port so that it could be run off of the GL1800 power bus but the Midland doesn't seem to have any provision for external power. I have the GXT1000 and plug the car charger into the charging base and into a switched cigarette lighter plug in the trunk of my 07 Wing. The base and radios stand vertically with room for the trunk lid to close. The radios came with rechargeable battery packs or you can take them out and put in 4 AA batteries in each radio.

Also, there is no information as to whether either unit has a removable antenna. I would like to relocate the OEM antenna to the outside of the bike if possible. Antenna is not removable. However, the radio transmits and receives through the trunk tupperware flawlessly.

Any advice about GMRS radios for use with the GL2Way on the GL1800 would be appreciated. Thanks!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
i have the mr350 and do like the option of the usb charging. It also has a built in flashlight. No one to ride here with to try out, but my testing from home does well. I do have a uniden model somewhere laying around that has a removable antenna....when i find it, i'll post the model. But most don't have that option.

·
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Greetings!

After doing some reading, I noted that the FCC rules allow the use of a remote antenna for GMRS but not for FRS. Many handheld units have both FRS and GMRS channels so I suspect that those units have fixed antennas in order to comply with FCC rules.

The Midland GXT1000 can use either the rechargeable NiMH battery or four AA cells. I have packs of 4X AA Lithium batteries on hand all the time for my travel camera so this seems fortuitously convenient. The Lithium AA batteries ought to last long enough that recharging while in the bike won't be an issue.

I have used the Midland GXT5000 out on the arsenal ranges at Aberdeen and Blossom Point and was very impressed with that unit. However, one GXT5000 costs as much as four GXT1000 units. I still may go with the GXT5000 as it is quite rugged.

In any event, my GL2Way ought to be arriving soon so whatever I decide I will let the forum know how it works out. In the meantime, though, any other suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have an older version of the Midland, a model GXT900 VP4, and have had very good luck with them. We charge them at night and while I carry an extra set of AA rechargeables for each radio, I have never needed to use them. One radio is hooked into my GL1800 with the Kennedy Electronics gear. My riding partner has his connected to a Starcom intercom setup on his VStar. They work great for us. I'd buy another set of the Midlands without hesitation.

·
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! I've always heard that Midland radios are very reliable. And making it through an entire day without recharging would be ideal for me.

·
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Greetings!

Well, I finally bit the bullet and ordered a pair of Midland GXT1000 units. The GXT5000 wasn't on Pedro's list of supported GMRS units, and I wasn't willing to experiment with it right out of the starting gate.

I'll let y'all know how it actually works when I get everything installed and working.

·
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Greetings!

My GXT1000 radios arrived today. I haven't had a chance to do much else other than plug them in and let them charge.

I also decided to be an upstanding citizen and get my FCC license for this class of radios. I was surprised at how easy it was to apply and pay using the FCC web site.

Now to read the instructions....

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Greetings!

My GXT1000 radios arrived today. I haven't had a chance to do much else other than plug them in and let them charge.

I also decided to be an upstanding citizen and get my FCC license for this class of radios. I was surprised at how easy it was to apply and pay using the FCC web site.

Now to read the instructions....

Keep us posted...i'm curious if you get a squeal with both the CB and FRS/GMRS hoked up at the same time.

·
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Keep us posted...i'm curious if you get a squeal with both the CB and FRS/GMRS hoked up at the same time.
I am going to to a partial install tonight or tomorrow (hook it all up without routing all the cables through the bike) to check for basic function and if that works I'll do the full install on Sunday.

I'll let you know if anything smokes, squeals, or melts.

·
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Greetings!

I got the GL2Way and CB installed and working but my GMRS interface cable hasn't arrived yet. The CB part is working good and strong, so that's encouraging.

One thing I wasn't expecting: The GL2Way with the CB module is a lot thicker than the OEM CB. I was using the original plastic plate that separates the CB and CD compartments to mount an accessory fuze block. I am going to try putting some spacers under the plate; hopefully there will be enough room left on the top side for the fuze block.

Another option would be to separate the GL2Way module from the CB module and put the CB module on top and the GL2Way below. I am not sure that this is possible without taking the GL2Way apart, however.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Another option would be to separate the GL2Way module from the CB module and put the CB module on top and the GL2Way below. I am not sure that this is possible without taking the GL2Way apart, however.

Splitting the two units is not an option we used to do that but it causes all kinds of squeals on some bikes.

We are working on a way of slimming down the CB module so you can mount that on the bottom of the trunk with the GL2WAY on top (This is how we have to do it on the 2012 to make it fit under the audio unit) you could grind off the 2 pointed mounts on the CB module or drill holes for them to fit into the trunk wall but grinding off the parts of the Midland I am pretty sure will invalidate the warranty from our suppliers so we are looking to find a smaller antenna connector.

You should then only need 5mm spacers to fit a panel over the unit

·
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Greetings!

Thanks for the update, Pedro. My plan for now is to raise the panel using spacers. The installation video mentioned something about "fixing strips" which I presume would be some sort of double-sided tape but my unit didn't come with anything fitting that description. Right now I plan to use two 4" x 6" adhesive-backed felt furniture pads; one affixed to the floor of the trunk well and one affixed to the bottom of the divider panel. I will then adjust my spacers so that the unit is neatly captured between the felt pads.

The issue I haven't yet solved is how to properly "boot" the cable penetration through the trunk wall. I do ride in the rain; in fact, corrosion due to rain infiltration is what killed my OEM CB unit. Today I am going to look for a NEMA-type cord grip connector that might be big enough for the connectors to pass through. If I can't find a cord grip connector I might be able to find a shrink-boot connector.

Other suggestions are welcomed.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The issue I haven't yet solved is how to properly "boot" the cable penetration through the trunk wall. I do ride in the rain; in fact, corrosion due to rain infiltration is what killed my OEM CB unit. Today I am going to look for a NEMA-type cord grip connector that might be big enough for the connectors to pass through. If I can't find a cord grip connector I might be able to find a shrink-boot connector.
Please update us when you finalize your trunk wall cable boot - I am also concerned about water infiltration. Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts