GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a camcorder to use for both purposes,riding and outdoor and indoor recording.Im wanting to eliminate wind noises when riding so do both type cameras have a way to deal with wind noises?. For those in the know which type should I go for? I will most likely never use either in adverse weather conditions.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I want to buy a camcorder to use for both purposes,riding and outdoor and indoor recording.Im wanting to eliminate wind noises when riding so do both type cameras have a way to deal with wind noises?. For those in the know which type should I go for? I will most likely never use either in adverse weather conditions.
The GoPro has a wide angle lens that will give you a fish-eye effect that you probably will not want in "normal" camcorder usage, especially not indoors. It looks good in the wide open spaces, though.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
You can get the Go Pro in both fish-eye and regular lens. The Go Pro HD has a stunning picture. The variety of mounting options for the GP make it the most versatile choice.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
The GoPro is not going to be a good "all-purpose" video camera. It is really best suited for adventure shots like mounted to a motorcycle, kayak, sky diving, etc. If you have to choose between the two, I would go with the Sony.

·
Registered
274 Posts
cam

go pro is great outdoors but indoors everything looks far away or fish-eyed, the pic quality is good but not close to my Sony Handycam mini-dv with the Carl Zeiss lense

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replies so far are convincing me to go with a Sony or other type camcorder. Always liked Sony but to be honest havnt had a camcorder in years so now I will start searching for a very good one. Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
go pro is great outdoors but indoors everything looks far away or fish-eyed, the pic quality is good but not close to my Sony Handycam mini-dv with the Carl Zeiss lense
You don't have to get it with the fish-eye lens.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Cruiseman,
I cannot speak for the Sony or, just about any other camera for videotaping of higher speed riding. I'm talking about any thing over 20 mph. Below that speed, plus or minus, sound deadening is usually not hard. The Go Pro whiz kid designers claim, in their ads, their website and even their videos that they've "conquered" the wind sound problems. Well, that's not necessarily true.

I've had the Go Pro HD model for over a year now and have done quite a bit of videotaping. And, I've done a bit of downloading and experimenting with the sound on those videos. Another experiment that I did was to apply one, two , three and up to four pieces of duct tape over the mic inlet of the Go Pro and, while the sound of the wind was muffled some, it was NOT ELMIMINATED as Go Pro would have you believe.

They also sell you, in the kit, two different housing doors to the back of the camera. One is for full waterproofing so you can use the camera under water and the other is an open framed rear door. Now I can't remember at the minute but, it actually states on the camera to use the waterproof door for under 100 mph for better sound and the open rear door for over 100 or vice versa. But, I did both and to me, there was no difference. And that was not at "100" mph, both test were around 50-75 mph.

Besides, many, if not most, of the riders/videotapers that either use the Go Pro or any other camera for taping there rides, usually "dub" in their own sound as in music. I'm certainly no video expert by any long shot but, dubbing is not hard to do. There are lots of riders here on the site that use many different types of cameras and I don't know what kind of luck they have, if they even try, to eliminate the wind noise in their cameras.
Scott

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Replies so far are convincing me to go with a Sony or other type camcorder. Always liked Sony but to be honest havnt had a camcorder in years so now I will start searching for a very good one. Thanks all.
We test a lot of cameras and camcorders for our website. Every time we test a Panasonic, I become more and more impressed. Not sure what features you are looking for, but you may want to look into a Pany.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We test a lot of cameras and camcorders for our website. Every time we test a Panasonic, I become more and more impressed. Not sure what features you are looking for, but you may want to look into a Pany.
I got your message a little too late I ordered this one Sony HDR-CX110 High Definition Handycam Camcorder from Electronics-Expo.com using this promo code (LSDA071411) and got it for $309.00,regular price $398.00.. I hope it will serve my purpose..I read alot of reviews and with $89.00 off for a NEW HD Camcorder I figured go for it. Thank You all very much..I may order a GoPro for the bike.

·
Registered
481 Posts
How about the Contour GPS. Anybody had any experience using this camera?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about the Contour GPS. Anybody had any experience using this camera?
Off topic on your camera but the picture in your post is one I enjoy several times a year. The pecos river bridge. nice riding for us in this area.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Cruiseman,
I just re-read my own post and it appears I screwed up. I kind-a addressed my answer to you when it should have been more for Blanco Tom. Although it was merely an opinion, and some first hand experience, it was intended to help Blanco Tom with his decision for a camera purchase. The Go Pro camera is a great little camera, it's well designed, compact, and has some real good features but, is it for everyone, in every circumstance and, does it do everything well, in my opinion, not really.

It does take stills, although not the highest quality, it does handle low and high speed vehicle/motorcycle videotaping pretty darn well and it comes with lots of "setup" stuff to help you be versatile for your purposes. One of the things I like the most of it, in comparison to some of the other "action" video cameras is the fact that it can handle, and in fact is preferred by users and Go Pro itself, is the 32GB SD card. That's a ton of video without changing cards. Again, sorry for the misdirection in the reply.
Scott

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
A friend of mine has the GoPro HD camera. We mounted it on his windshield last week when we rode the Dragon. It took very good video, and Im not sure how, but there was absolutely no wind noise. Very good considering it was mounted on the front of his windshield, not behind it looking thru it. No wind noise, but the mic did pick him up talking on the CB. I was very impressed with it. The only thing that takes getting used too, is I guess because of the fish eye lens, when your playing back the video on a tv, it makes it look like your riding faster than you really are. I would still give it an A+.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts