GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just acquired a new Go Pro HD camera, and looking for ideas on best mounting options.

For starters, I'm not keen on sticking any mounts to the Tupperware.

Makes sense to do a helmet mount, and I'd like to hear feedback from anyone who's done that.

Suction cup to windshield would probably be a good temporary option.

Since I use a tinted sport windshield, anything mounted behind the shield is not an option.

One idea that appeals is that of mounting to the forward crash bar. Anybody with experience on that?

Oh yeah, one more thing...is there a "best" video resolution setting? I went ahead and set mine to r5 full HD, 1080p, assuming that will give best results...

Lastly, to you computer experts out there, do I gain anything by upgrading from a 4GB to an 8, 16 or 32GB SDHC card? Apparently the battery will only last 2.5 hours per charge. Is the 4GB card big enough to store 2.5 hours of video?

Thanks much!

Jim O'Dowd :doorag:

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Suction cup on top of the left mirror, or left side fairing works for me. I Made a "tether" strap just for safety (mindset) and loop it around the mirror. I've run triple digits and it hasn't moved with the cup. Also use the helmet mount for "stills shots", shoot where you're looking. .

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Just acquired a new Go Pro HD camera, and looking for ideas on best mounting options.

Makes sense to do a helmet mount, and I'd like to hear feedback from anyone who's done that.

Since I use a tinted sport windshield, anything mounted behind the shield is not an option.

One idea that appeals is that of mounting to the forward crash bar. Anybody with experience on that?

Oh yeah, one more thing...is there a "best" video resolution setting? I went ahead and set mine to r5 full HD, 1080p, assuming that will give best results...

Lastly, to you computer experts out there, do I gain anything by upgrading from a 4GB to an 8, 16 or 32GB SDHC card? Apparently the battery will only last 2.5 hours per charge. Is the 4GB card big enough to store 2.5 hours of video?

Thanks much!

I have used my GoPro camera at both 720P (R3) and 1080P (R5) and the 1080 setting is definitely better IMO. In the 720 setting (R3), the field of view is too wide and it makes you seem to be riding really fast. The 1080 setting is not as wide angle and the video seems more lifelike if that makes any sense. Could just be my perception, but others have mentioned it too.

Rather than purchasing a single 32gb SDHC card, I bought 2 16gb cards. I get right at 2 hours apiece on them at 720P. I don't know why, but it seemed like a better idea not to have all my video on one card.

For mounting, I got one of FIRE UP's windshield mounts. It's a slick little mount that clamps to the edge of your windshield right next to and a little forward of the left mirror. That mounting location provides the best angle for shooting forward facing video in my opinion. I have tried the crash bar and behind the windshield mounting positions and did not personally like them. I have use a suction cup mount on the side of my trunk for rearward facing video with good results also.

As you play around with the camera you will find mounting locations that work best for you.

A word of caution. With any forward facing mounting location that is out in the airstream, you have to be more aware of bug strikes on the camera housing. A bug splatter can ruin a lot of video. I get off the bike and check it often and clean it when necessary. The camera housing is also more susceptible to rock chips. A nick in the lens cover could mean having to get a lens replacement kit.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
There is a fellow on here that makes a clamp-on mount that attaches to the windscreen that works really well, easy on and off. Stay tuned, he'll be replying soon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here's my setup:

The mount works really well. I have extra links that allow me to move the camera in any direction.

Sorry about the bugs. They did not want to get out of the way. I did hunk!

Sylvain

·
Registered
72 Posts
Go Pro mount

I use a Delkin Fat Gecko suction mount on my left mirror, this allows movement in any direction. Was concerned about it coming off so attached a steel fishing leader as a lanyard. After 12,000 mile trip the mount never moved, did take the camera out of the case when I left the bike.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I use FIRE UP's mount (+1) and the r5 setting with a 16 GB card. Batttery limited. Can get lots of good video - two problems I've run into:
1. Bug splat as mentioned previously.
2. Condensation seems to preferentially form on the inside of the lens portion of the Go-Pro housing. Good idea to check for it (will be visible) about 20 minutes after going outside on a cool morning or changing to cooler location or higher elevation.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I use FIRE UP's mount (+1) and the r5 setting with a 16 GB card. Batttery limited. Can get lots of good video - two problems I've run into:
1. Bug splat as mentioned previously.
2. Condensation seems to preferentially form on the inside of the lens portion of the Go-Pro housing. Good idea to check for it (will be visible) about 20 minutes after going outside on a cool morning or changing to cooler location or higher elevation.
If you get some of these Anti-Fog inserts from GoPro, it will eliminate the condensation problem on the inside of the camera housing. You get three pair in a package and they can be dried out in an oven at low heat and reused several times. Work great.

http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/anti-fog-inserts/

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Mirror housings move too much for me.
Helmet mounting give very good view, but moves around way to much (as you look around).
Suction cup seems to be the way to go for me thus far.

I have several cards from 8 gig to 32 gig. (I have 3-32 gig)

Go pro also has some options out there like the skeleton case which allows you to power the camera from a 12v supply on your bike. Also gives a video output so you can send the signal to a dvd recorder (like a handycam type deal) and record directly to DVD.

Options are endless.

I have both the HD and HD wide GoPros.

Oh yeah --- I pull all the 3m adhesive off the mounts and put on a different 3m adhesive that can be found at walmart. It comes in rolls with the red tape. I prefer this product because I know for a fact that I can remove it from the tupperware without ANY damage. No it will not come off by itself.

If battery is your only option... they have a battery backpack which gives you an additional battery (think running two batteries at one time). Kool thing is the battery back pack allows you to charge a spare battery on the fly via micro usb connection.

Also really suggest you get the LCD backpac if you do not already have it. (LCD & Battery back packs can not be used at the same time.

Remember to record in short bursts to make editing the video easier. The longer you record, the bigger the file, the harder on the computer's resources to handle it. I try to cap the videos no longer than 30 minutes at a time.

Video software is easy to get and price will vary depending on what you need to do with it. I run Pinnacle Studio 12 Ultimate which has a couple of years on it by now but it's a workhorse that did not require days to get used to.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
A quick use of the search feature using the key word "GoPro" will provide you with a ton of information.

Here's a link to a post you may find helpful.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3397801&postcount=5

Thanks much!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've just gotten one also--
good ideas out there!
I would think shooting from different positions would make your finished video a little better than shooting all from one spot. Also agree the LCD back certainly helps in fine-tuning camera position. Otherwise you're just guessing what's in the shot. It definitely gives a WIDE angle.
OB

·
Registered
792 Posts
I run two helmet mounts (wife runs one on her bike) and I use the suction cup mount...

<---helmet mount shown in avatar - extensions used to clear 95% of windshield when facing front.

Yesterday I ran the camera backwards off the saddlebag and forward off the lower section of the trunk using the suction cup. Came back with some great camera angles.

On my Harley I stick the suction cup to the fenders. Awesome angles.

On my car I've had the suction cup on the roof well into triple digits. It's bullet proof.

Some of my videos in my signature line..

I have 5 batteries. They're cheap and I have two cameras. They're only 20 bucks apiece. I run 32GB cards in each.

I run R5 because I don't like the wide angle setting (too much fishbowl). Sometimes I use the 60FPS setting for super slow-mo advantages. I like R5. With the helmet cam I can point it at what I want to shoot so using the wide-angle to capture the sides isn't a big deal.

LCD (we have one) makes the unit a little heavier and bulkier and some don't recommend running it in the wind. Mounts have come apart with the extra weight. I use the LCD for hand held applications or chest mount. The camera angle is so wide that minor adjustments really don't make that much of a difference in the finished product. After a few tries you'll know where to point it to get a good balance between scenery, road, and sky.

I also have the backpack but find it easier just to swap a battery at the two hour mark than add the extra weight to the mount and extension. I use the battery backpack for my handheld applications.

I have a beast of a PC and have no trouble dropping 50GB of files into movie maker. I'm too lazy to try to chop the files up smaller. They section themselves into bite sized chunks anyway, so you always have the option of throwing a little in at a time.

·
Registered
792 Posts
If you get some of these Anti-Fog inserts from GoPro, it will eliminate the condensation problem on the inside of the camera housing. You get three pair in a package and they can be dried out in an oven at low heat and reused several times. Work great.

http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/anti-fog-inserts/

All you have to do is run the open case back and you'll have no condensation issues.

If you're rolling in the rain I doubt you'll be filming anyway.

I was going to order the inserts but if it starts raining bad enough for me to worry about we pull the cameras and stick them in a bag/trunk depending on which bikes we're on.

You get more natural sound with the vented back too, although a lot of the time it ends up being overcome by wind.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I just got the go pro a few weeks ago and have been trying different places I have one video at www.jonkaz.net used the back crash bar and the suction holder on the front near the left mirror I have ordered some more mounts and will try them this weekend

Johng

·
Registered
792 Posts
I also have the handlebar mount, the roll bar mount, and the tripod mounts.

I haven't used the handlebar/rollbar mounts on the wing, but have on my Harley and the wife's Suzuki.

All are top quality, but the mounting result will really depend on the config of your bike.

Example:

On the Harley, unless I pull the windshield, all handlebar mounts are obscured in some fashion by the windshield. I don't mount behind the windshield mainly for two reasons:

- reflections kill image quality IMO
- bugs on the windshield are really visible and distrating IMO

A smaller note is that depending on the bike you can get windshield flex and vibrations that kill video quality as well.

Using the handlebar/rollbar on the engine guards works exceptionally well. On the wing the suction cup mount is faster because there are so many places you can affix it. On the Harley and Suzuki the suction cup is less effective because of mounting options... Fenders or the windshield are the obvious choices.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Go Pro on my helmet. Not a good video but you can get the idea. You have to learn not to move your head too much. And, with good video editing software, you can edit most of the unwanted out. I didn't have the software when I did this.

Oh, I had the camera pointing down tooooooo darn much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4FL8bpAYIM

1 - 20 of 31 Posts