GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from Seattle to visit my son at Ft. Lewis. They are setting a record for the most rain in a month which is about 15.8 inches. Then it snowed and the roads iced up. From what I could see there was no attempt to clean up the roads on the I-5. What a mess. I had to deal with about an inch of ice on the road. Made me appreciate our weather here in Arizona once again. Sure is a beautiful area though. Usually I'm there in the summertime. I just like that clear sky. Had a good visit though with some good sight seeing and just good fun.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I hear you Wayne... I've never lived in a place where less than one inch of snow (at least here in Lakewood, next to Ft Lewis) can close the local schools now for the third straight day.... pretty sad, huh. Nothing but ice skating rinks on the back roads here till the forecasted rain comes after midnight tonight. Back in '85, we had a big snow on Thanksgiving day, and the road I lived on was never plowed, salted, nada ....turned to about 8 inches of solid ice, and stayed that way for months...lol... Not sure what our problem is, glad you had a nice visit with you son nevertheless...see you in July for Rockies-Gold....
Bill

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
Speaking as a native I am in solid agreement Wayne. Just wish there weren't so many damned people here now.....and getting more crowded by the minute. :(

·
15 year Member
6,873 Posts
Landtuna said:
Speaking as a native I am in solid agreement Wayne. Just wish there weren't so many damned people here now.....and getting more crowded by the minute. :(
Landtuna.

You got "chains" for the wing just in case???

I lived out there for many years and in So. California on the 5 through the pases is laughable!!

Matt(Ashland,MA)

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matt he's talking about Arizona. No I-5 in Arizona. My problem with I-5 was north of Tacoma Washington on into Seattle. Just a real charlie fox at 5 AM.

·
15 year Member
6,873 Posts
oldguy said:
Matt he's talking about Arizona. No I-5 in Arizona. My problem with I-5 was north of Tacoma Washington on into Seattle. Just a real charlie fox at 5 AM.
Well then looks like we about covered the whole west coast!!!!

Glad you saw your son, you must be very proud of him

Matt(Ashland,MA)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Arizona

Landtuna wrote:

Just wish there weren't so many damned people here now.....and getting more crowded by the minute.

Hate to be one of these guys, but my job mybe transfering me to arizona next year. Why is everbody coming to arizona?

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Because it used to be so damned nice, now it's only nice. Great weather, good topography and used to be friendly people. The first two are still the same only more crowded with the second. Unfortunately we are continuing to see an increase in violence. Traffic is getting worse also as is air quality.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks oldguy

Coming from outside of Baltimore violence is bad, traffic is real bad.One good thing we have the bay and the crabs but it's getting real poluted to. Taxes are high, housing in up up and away..........Weather well it snows.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Big Dreams said:
Thanks oldguy

Coming from outside of Baltimore violence is bad, traffic is real bad.One good thing we have the bay and the crabs but it's getting real poluted to. Taxes are high, housing in up up and away..........Weather well it snows.
I lived in Waldorf, MD when was stationed at Andrews AFB. I still miss the DelMarVa penninsula and the Bay. What I don't miss is the Shootouts at the Landover Mall, the humidity, and the mosquito's.

Come to Arizona.. we'll welcome you to our weekly rides of fun.... all year long! Here you can ride in 120 degree heat, in bumper to bumper traffic.. even the HOV lane is a parking lot on I-10 around the Airport.

But then again.. you get 65 degrees during the afternoon in December and January/February.

Matt

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
Goodly breeze blowing today with a high in the low 60's in the desert. Getting frosty in the mountains (mid-30's in Flagstaff). Wuz 45F on my back porch this morning.

Tonight there are freeze warnings for the entire state outside the metro area. Thursday it's supposed to be only in the high 50's for a high.

Brother, that's C-O-L-D here!!!!

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
Re: Arizona

Big Dreams said:
Hate to be one of these guys, but my job mybe transfering me to arizona next year. Why is everbody coming to arizona?
There are a few reasons:

1. During WWII a lot of military were stationed here, particularily flyers. A bunch of them moved here after the war and the first big boom came. My father was in the horse cavalry and was stationed in Papago Park (now part of Phoenix/Scottsdale). My grandmother had him over for dinner one night where he met my mother and that's why I'm here. 8)

2. Advent of A/C made the summers bearable for immigrants. Before that, we just had evap coolers which work OK except in humid weather. People actually took the summers off and went to the mountains in the old days. Not all of Arizona is desert however and some of the high desert (mostly in the south and east part of the state) remains very comfortable even in summer.

3. Cost of living used to be a real bargain. Land was plentiful, cheap and not well regulated. That has changed big time.

4. Compared to the rest of the nation Arizona and New Mexico have the most sunny days of all and relatively little rain and snow. No hurricanes (although we do have severe summer t-storms), earthquakes, floods (OK, sometimes, if you live in flash flood areas), tornadoes, hailstorms or other "acts of god".

5. Cost of labor is cheap compared to the East and West Coasts. Communication facilities are very good here so lots of telecomm jobs. Military is also big with three major pilot training bases.

6. GREAT Mexican food!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Landtuna, Oldguy, Matt SHUT-UP.

AZ is terrible, hot, dirty, expensive, no culture, sunburn, skin cancer, hates bikers, lousy golf courses.

DON"T GO, you'll die!!!!!!!

:lol:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
azjerry said:
Landtuna, Oldguy, Matt SHUT-UP.

AZ is terrible, hot, dirty, expensive, no culture, sunburn, skin cancer, hates bikers, lousy golf courses.

DON"T GO, you'll die!!!!!!!

:lol:
What was I thinking! I shouldn't lie to people I don't know. You're right. Living in AZ sucks.. so very hot! no Jobs! Bad Economy.

Matt

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
C'mon Caswell and Jerry......you KNOW you want more Wing riders here.

Just so long as they don't (1) plant grass, (2) complain about the summer heat, (3) complain about the pizza "back home" and (4) always refer to where they came from as "back home".

Home is where you hang your helmet Brother. If it's here....you're home!

:D

·
Registered
8,266 Posts

Landtuna said:
4. Compared to the rest of the nation Arizona and New Mexico have the most sunny days of all and relatively little rain and snow. No hurricanes (although we do have severe summer t-storms), earthquakes, floods (OK, sometimes, if you live in flash flood areas), tornadoes, hailstorms or other "acts of god".
Ain't that the truth - I saw some spectacular thunderstorms there. And one fried the power supply on my PC (8088 ... with an 8087 - some will know what I'm talking about :lol: ). All the rain will come at once and the drainage couldn't handle it so it would stay for a while.

Right about this time of year I miss it but all in all I'd rather put up with some snow and cold for a couple months and live where I do.

·
Registered
228 Posts
oldguy said:
Because it used to be so damned nice, now it's only nice. Great weather, good topography and used to be friendly people. The first two are still the same only more crowded with the second. Unfortunately we are continuing to see an increase in violence. Traffic is getting worse also as is air quality.
You could be describing what's been going on in Texas over the last 20 years. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Landtuna said:
C'mon Caswell and Jerry......you KNOW you want more Wing riders here.

Just so long as they don't (1) plant grass, (2) complain about the summer heat, (3) complain about the pizza "back home" and (4) always refer to where they came from as "back home".

Home is where you hang your helmet Brother. If it's here....you're home!

:D
Get Venezia's pizza. the closest I've found to East Coast pizza in the area. Had a small mom and pop called Manhattan Joes.. man was that good.. not enough business for him at the 1 location so he closed down.

mpc

·
Banned
1,633 Posts

William Anzik said:
I saw some spectacular thunderstorms there. And one fried the power supply on my PC (8088 ... with an 8087 - some will know what I'm talking about.
I've still got mine. A 1983 Columbia dual-floppy (those big 'uns). Still works.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts