GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's what I was thinking, but then I decided to do some more PSI testing. 28 psi was OK, 30 was OK (kind of worried about mpg's falling off) then I tried 35 and didn't care for that pressure (too squirrelly) for some reason. Just got back from a nice ride with 40 psi and it made all the difference in the world. The wing is much more stable now and low speed turns are easier then ever. The CT's on till I wear it out so plenty of time for lots more testing.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Going back

Rider Steve, The FIRST thousand or so miles I "KNEW" I was going back.

But some how after 3K I forgot the orginal feel and became confident

with the new feel. I still wish for the "new tire feel". :cool:

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
40 psi?...that's a new one on me! must be hard as a rock ah? and how about your sweepers at 60 +? Do you feel like you are riding on the edge?

I am just curious, not being a smart-assh at all. I just never heard of anyone liking a CT at that high of psi....interesting.

·
Registered
796 Posts
40 psi?...that's a new one on me! must be hard as a rock ah? and how about your sweepers at 60 +? Do you feel like you are riding on the edge?

I am just curious, not being a smart-assh at all. I just never heard of anyone liking a CT at that high of psi....interesting.
Nando, I started with mine at 40 psi. It got me comfortable with the tire and I have gradually lowered the pressure to 32. I completely understand the 40 psi feel.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I'm running 42 but it's not a RF... I've put a few hunded miles on it and I'm not impressed with a car tire.. I have a Kumo waiting for install as soon as I can.. I'm suspecting it will be better, but if after a few hunderd I still fell uneasy it'll be back to a MT..

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I did some at 50 to 60 and felt fine.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I went the opposite of PunKinDave on the NRF Potenza I started at 35 and went down to 28 before I was happy. 30-32 seems best for me on the RF tires. Guess this shows the differences in everyones comfort zone and the way the tire responds.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Me too, I don't understand the 40 psi reasoning as it goes against all logic. I read a post on another board where someone said they run 26 psi for soft ride but 35 for that mc feel. It's been my experience that lower pressure does both and more psi is just harsher ride and the need to "force" the bike to lean in the corners due to the uplift. I think the guys running the 175 tires may find that 35-36 is more inline however as the smaller the tire the more pressure needed to keep the footprint correct.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gentlemen I am not using my CT as a shock absorber, that's the shocks job. 40 psi tends to take any squiggle out of the equation during low speed maneuvering on uneven terrain. Now with that said I can also say I ain't done experimenting yet.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I went the opposite of PunKinDave on the NRF Potenza I started at 35 and went down to 28 before I was happy. 30-32 seems best for me on the RF tires. Guess this shows the differences in everyones comfort zone and the way the tire responds.
I started at 32psi and was totally uneasy about the way it tracked, especially when the road was uneven.. Squirmy as hell and couldn't hold a line no matter what was tried.. Once I got used to it a bit, I had a slow but strong oscillation when entering a highway at high speed when I hit the camber of the fast lane.. More than a little unnerving.. High speed swerves were also made VERY difficult to a level that I would consider it an unsafe maneuver in this configuration.. At 42psi the squirm and most handling issues are diminished, but not to a point where I would consider it an acceptable trade off..

Gentlemen I am not using my CT as a shock absorber, that's the shocks job. 40 psi tends to take any squiggle out of the equation during low speed maneuvering on uneven terrain. Now with that said I can also say I ain't done experimenting yet.
Me either, there are benefits to be had, I really do notice the increase in available traction and I suspect the rain performance would be much better also.. Went out for a long ride yesterday over some ridiculous roads and like the tire even less now.. RF waiting to be mounted..

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Just thought to myself today on how I'm 100% comfortable with my Kumho in all riding situations so far...one-up, 2-up, highway, cruddy little roads, sweepers, good roads, rough roads, turns, etc. I know what to expect in crowned parts, expect a little more push in the turns and it's 100% natural. Literally thought about how completely transformed my riding style is and how comfortable I was with the CT.

32 seems to be my magic number.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went out for four hours and 200 miles today running 40 psi. Everything felt great. The one exception was tar snakes in the twisties. And the best part, still got 39 mpg and that's after running her up 100 mph twice. Everything was baby butt smooth at 100 mph.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
PunkinDave,

I always get flame for this: but NONE runflat tires are not even close to the efficacy provided by the RUNFLAT models...:eek:4:...geez, I can feel the heat already.

You will find the runflat works!

ON PSI
We all started with 41psi. At 41, there is less wiggle but then you are rolling on the edge of the tire at high speed turns, you lose the comfort-zone offered by CT because, a hard-inflated CT is even more harsh than a cemental MT, and over the road touring monster report wearing down the middle rapidly: about 10K.

The consensus wisdom is 28-32. I like 28. If you want to run yours against the popular opinion, then you are truly a Darksider. Being a darksider means you do and run whatever you want on your bike...I hope that (at least on this board) is still the accepted motto.

That I recall, you may want to thank tomfranken again for being one of the first from the rebel forces who experimented with low psi...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You want heat you got heat! :lol: The one thing you and I didn't mention is the variables that go along with riding a CT/MT. Some ride like the devil with his pants on fire in the twisties, and some do not. That thought in itself may have a lot to do with the PSI you run and how comfy you are with the CT/MT. I'm basically looking for that all around psi that's great for all occasions.

As an example this is how I ride most of my twisties. :biker: See what I mean.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
PunkinDave,

I always get flame for this: but NONE runflat tires are not even close to the efficacy provided by the RUNFLAT models...:eek:4:...geez, I can feel the heat already.

You will find the runflat works!

ON PSI
We all started with 41psi. At 41, there is less wiggle but then you are rolling on the edge of the tire at high speed turns, you lose the comfort-zone offered by CT because, a hard-inflated CT is even more harsh than a cemental MT, and over the road touring monster report wearing down the middle rapidly: about 10K.

The consensus wisdom is 28-32. I like 28. If you want to run yours against the popular opinion, then you are truly a Darksider. Being a darksider means you do and run whatever you want on your bike...I hope that (at least on this board) is still the accepted motto.
After watching them mount the Goodyear, I have to say you are probally right, the sidewalls are REALLY flexible (Duh, that's how they work!!) As I said, next step is a Kuhmo RF in 205/55-R16.. I'm hoping it works better.. If not, I'll go to Avons and back off the ECU in 1st and 2nd gear..

Flame if you want, but I'm not a "darksider", I'm just a rider that needs more bite on the rear wheel due to some engine upgrades.. After the first round on the dyno, the increased throttle response causes the back end to step out very quickly if I'm not careful.. The car tire DOES bite much better and I've found it a lot harder to get it to break loose.. This is what I'm hoping to gain but if it costs too much in handling, it won't be a good solution for me..

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Punkin,
Have you tried a 70 Avon Venom?

What did you do to your bike to make it 'hot-rod'...

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
You want heat you got heat! :lol: The one thing you and I didn't mention is the variables that go along with riding a CT/MT. Some ride like the devil with his pants on fire in the twisties, and some do not. That thought in itself may have a lot to do with the PSI you run and how comfy you are with the CT/MT. I'm basically looking for that all around psi that's great for all occasions.

As an example this is how I ride most of my twisties. :biker: See what I mean.

Steve...continue your experiment with what psi works for how you ride..:thumbup:

Take it from a guy who is on his third Pirelli..I run 30 psi and I'm an aggressive rider in all conditions..But I also follow my GF at her pace of 45 mph when she rides her V-tar 1100..
So I know that for me the 30 psi works well in all types of riding that I do be it my own quick pace or what more would call a steady pace (Slower than my normal-go like hell)..

You need to find what works best for you,You are the rider,not I or anyone else.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Nothing. It's early March in PA. A moped would step out if you gave it some gas....

Just kidding...:lol:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
After watching them mount the Goodyear, I have to say you are probally right, the sidewalls are REALLY flexible (Duh, that's how they work!!) As I said, next step is a Kuhmo RF in 205/55-R16.. I'm hoping it works better.. If not, I'll go to Avons and back off the ECU in 1st and 2nd gear..

Flame if you want, but I'm not a "darksider", I'm just a rider that needs more bite on the rear wheel due to some engine upgrades.. After the first round on the dyno, the increased throttle response causes the back end to step out very quickly if I'm not careful.. The car tire DOES bite much better and I've found it a lot harder to get it to break loose.. This is what I'm hoping to gain but if it costs too much in handling, it won't be a good solution for me..

Dave.I had only put about 5-600 miles on my first regular radial,and took it off knowing that a CT was for me,I had my wheels chromed and then tried two Pirelli Run Flat tires..

I then put that first radial back on the bike thinking I'd just wear it out and mount a new Run flat on it's wheel..
Well that idea didn't last but less than 100 miles..I could immediately tell the difference between the non run flat and a run flat,and of it came and was deposited in the trash can..

I then experimented with two types of Conti SSR,winter/summer tread compounds..We don't like the Conti's for how we ride!

You explained why I went to a CT in the first place,I'm an aggressive rider.
Then I found other benefits by running one for my style of riding..

Let me tell you this also-Not all CT/RF's are created equal either..Some like the Conti SSR did have a Twitch on hard acceleration in a twisty,But it never broke loose like the MT's did on me..
But the difference between the reg radial and the Run Flat is big in handling "if" you ride the bike aggressively..
Even non aggressive riders can feel the difference between the two..

I'd be interested in hearing your own thoughts about when you test out a RF on your bike for how you ride..:thumbup:

BTW:
Please PM me your Email address,I'd like to talk to you off list.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Rocky, you have a PM...

Nothing. It's early March in PA. A moped would step out if you gave it some gas....
Too true :lol: !! I also believe the OEM Bridgestones were pretty crappy to begin with....

Punkin,
Have you tried a 70 Avon Venom?

Haven't looked too close yet.. What's the diff between the Venom and the Cobra?? Aren't they both radials?? My OEM size would be the same as a Valk 180/70-16..

The company in Australia called TuneBoy who has reverse engineered all the ECU parameters for all Triumphs and provides software/cable kits for tuning ALL parameters in the ECU.. Fueling, spark advance, secondary throttle positions, as well as bike specific feature adjustment/eliminations.. I have it keyed for the track bike to make some minor adjustments but there's not any substantial HP increases to be had on the Daytona.. The Rocket however is another story..

A little history!! Basically, the Touring model of the Rocket (R3T) was detuned from the factory for more torque and less overall performance (<100rwhp).. The smaller rear tire was to make it more "friendly" to the touring rider and provided a narrower profile for the bike with the bags mounted (The regular Rocket has an 8" rim and uses a 240/50-R16). Above 70mph it ran well, but felt like it had breathing issues (Yea, it did) The regular Rocket puts out 130 rwhp stock and it's exactly the same engine except with larger throttle bodies.. There's guys that have blowers and turbos on regular Rockets making 250+hp.. (Not something I'd want to ride but it's pretty impressive)

All I have done is add a better flowing exhaust and K&N pod style air filters.. The tune I started with was developed in Australia for a slightly different configuration and without any additional tweaking it was putting out 125hp at 140ft/lb peak.. 25% increase in hp ain't bad for a few hundred invested!!

It's still leaning out above 3500 and there's a rich spot around 1500.. With a few tweaks it should be peaking around 140hp.. Throttle response is now instant and the high speed cruising and roll-on accel are SUBSTANTIALLY better in every way (of course fuel mileage has suffered some!)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts